XF (X260) 2015 onwards

How to: Disable auto stop/start XF/XF-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

The large grey connector is more accessible and easier to remove with the same results.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried both plugs on my 2017 XF I just bought two weeks ago. The grey plug does nothing when disconnected, no difference. The black one kills the car, nothing on the dash and can't start it.

Any ideas from the more experienced owners? Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Florida1
I tried both plugs on my 2017 XF I just bought two weeks ago. The grey plug does nothing when disconnected, no difference. The black one kills the car, nothing on the dash and can't start it.

Any ideas from the more experienced owners? Thanks
You pulled the wrong plugs. There's several sets of electrical boxes under the inspection cover. I'm betting you pulled the ones that are easily visible and accessible from the grey box that has some fuses. The SS module is in a silver/aluminum can above and to the left of that box. Hard to see and get to but if you remove the inspection cover, get down low and look up inside the hole you'll see it.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty sure I'm in the right area. I had to literally lie down in the trunk to look up above the fuse box and see the grey and black plug next to each other. After rereading the OP I saw he said there are three plugs on the module.
The black one I'm pulling has a wh/red and wh wire, not four wires.

I'll have to wait till daylight to see where the third plug is. Thanks again

Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Florida1
.....I'll have to wait till daylight to see where the third plug is.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...f-xf-s-174715/

There us no 'third plug'....The third/last picture in the first OP post shows the module.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 AM

Thanks but there are actually three plugs on the module, the gray one and two black ones. I pulled the wrong black one yesterday as it was more easily visible next to the gray. The correct four wire black is actually above the gray.

Anyway, pulled it easily and it seemed to work as described, at least in the driveway. I'll be out and about today so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Thanks so much.....Perfect

Old 05-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do not know why, or what happened, but after my 2015 XF 3.0 would shut down at stop lights, I would hit the ECO button to restart immediately and after about 50 times, it quit dying at every stop. Maybe 50 overrides cancels the autostop / autostart option. I now have a permanent ECO on my speedometer with a line thru it.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arizona Ranger
I do not know why, or what happened, but after my 2015 XF 3.0 would shut down at stop lights, I would hit the ECO button to restart immediately and after about 50 times, it quit dying at every stop. Maybe 50 overrides cancels the autostop / autostart option. I now have a permanent ECO on my speedometer with a line thru it.
Just guessing...... your battery is dying.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, no battery problems at all. Let me clarify, the No ECO is only lit when the car is running.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I think he’s referring to your stop/start battery dying, not the main battery. As your car is older (2015) it probably still uses the two-battery system. The second small stop/start battery if dying would turn off the stop/start feature without affecting anything else. Many decide to leave the stop/start battery dead as they don’t like the stop/start feature anyway.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

The second battery does not need to be dying. If the car is driven on short trips and the charging system does not have time to recharge everything then your ECO function will not work.
The number of times you turn it off does nothing.
Try driving the car 50+ miles then you should see the start/stop to begin working again.

Of course with the 2 battery system you can always just unhook the small secondary battery as was posted above.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The second battery does not need to be dying. If the car is driven on short trips and the charging system does not have time to recharge everything then your ECO function will not work.....
?? Op said the Start/Stop feature stopped working..... that is, wouldn't stop the motor. ECO is a separate function from Start/Stop

Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

The start stop function is the ECO?
They are one and the same.

If you push the ECO button that will shut off the start/stop system.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

The start stop function is the ECO?
They are one and the same.

If you push the ECO button that will shut off the start/stop system.
I'm assuming that since Arizona Ranger is from Arizona he has an X260, and he may have bought it in 2015 but it would have to be at least a 2016 model if purchased in the US and that would make it an X260. ECO and Stop/Start are two separate functions with two separate switches in the X260 and they operate independent of one another.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 PM

I found it much easier to pull the plug off the brake vacuum sensor at the brake booster. The car doesn't even seem to know I did it and no need to turn off the start/stop again.

Originally Posted by Maximus75
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Just received my 2017 XF-S. love the car but almost ended up getting t-boned when the auto stop killed the motor just as I was about to accelerate into traffic. So I decided to research how to disable it without cutting wires or setting a MIL light. Turns out on this model it's very easy. Open the trunk and on the right side there is a fuse panel door. Open and remove the door. You will now see the rear fuse panel. Just above the panel is the voltage module. You will have to look up from the bottom of the panel to see it. There are 3 plugs in the module. Disconnect the black 4 wire plug and secure aside. You will notice upon start up there will be an "auto start malfunction" message, and then after that, auto stop/start will always default to off. Attached at some pics of the module and connector. Hope this helps.
Voltage module

Old 06-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting that and what a great find!

Old 08-04-2019, 02:10 PM
RGT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting that and what a great find!
Anyone know how to do this with the XF Sportbrake 2018?

Old 11-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I found the voltage module. I found the three plugs. I am pretty sure the very highest one has the 4 leads from it and is flat rather than a cube like the lower two.
I just can not reach it to pull it out. My hands are too big or something. I can get my finger tips on it and I can feel the release clip, I think, but no release, no pull.

Any of you smaller handed people want to come over a give it a pull? I would really like to disable this Auto stop/start feature. I'll buy you a beer.

Otherwise, does anyone know where these wires go from here, and actually physically reappear someplace where they might be disconnected on the other end?

I am happy to see that I am not alone in this quest.

P. Smith

Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CarsonCitySmith
.....I can get my finger tips on it and I can feel the release clip....
I had the same problem Must have spent hours and every possible way but just couldn't pull it. So I pulled the grey one below it with two wires (and one big black one) that's easily accessible and easy to get at to see if that would make it any easier. It didn't. I forgot I pulled it and went about driving and guess what....that one works just as well to disable it if not better because it looks like the main ground for that board! 3 years now with no problem.

Quick Reply: How to: Disable auto stop/start XF/XF-S