XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Humming noise from rear of car when > 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise from rear of car when > 50mph

Hi Folks

I'm getting a loud irritating humming sound when accelerating on motorways >50mph. I have read that it could be a differential or just the tyres. The tyres are brand new Pirelli's so i'm guessing it wouldn't be them. Any ideas?

Also having issues with the frontside passenger speaker. its giving a distorting sound when playing base sounds. Is this issue with the amp or the head unit? Just wondering if there are any schematics for these head unit/amps. also are they found in the boot or something

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given

Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

As for the speaker distortion sound I experienced it as well, until I realized I had a hairbrush in the side door pocket that was rattling in sympathy with the bass, and only at higher volumes.

I removed the offending item and the stereo was back to 100pct.

If your humming noise began after you installed the Pirelli's, it could be the new tread s on the tires. Did you have worn tires on the car before? Worn tires would roll quieter on smooth surfaces.

However if the humming is loud and persists, and does not sound like rubber to you, I'd take it into the dealer for a look.

Last edited by Austin7; 10-04-2017 at 07:28 AM.