XF (X260) 2015 onwards

My review after 3 months of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My review after 3 months of ownership

Bought a 2016 XF R-sport miles in July, having come from owning a 2011 XF Premium Portfolio, bought new at the end of 2011. Before that I bought a new X-type (not nearly as bad as people say - I loved that car although to be fair it was my first Jaguar and my first luxury car). After 3 months and 2K milesI will share my review.
Exterior : I love just about everything about the revised look of the car. I have the Blackberry exterior and the R-sport trim which means essentially no chrome. Not the window surrounds (which are black) and not the side panel inserts or grill surround. Those are done in a more "flat" looking metal type material which actually more closely resembles the alloy wheels. Exterior wise, there is nothing that I don't like better about this car.
Interior At first I didn't like what I felt was a far less luxurious looking interior but I've not only gotten used to it, I like it better. I have the piano black inserts and double contrast stitching on Jet interior. It is understated, especially when compared to the E Class, but I liken to a women who knows she's pretty and doesn't have to cake on the loud make up to make you see it. The seats are really nice, as is the moon roof/opaque cover. I don't love how they moved the window controls forward on the door but I'm getting used to it. I also don't like the cheap plastic lower door sections. I do like that they made the driver's floor mat shorter. It's a little thing but appreciate it not getting caught under my gas pedal anymore.
The dashline is amazing and I have the heads up Laser display which adds a hump. The whole thing is much more subdued but driver friendly. Moving the rotating air vents from the middle to the end really diminishes the effect of that though. Seating in all areas feels roomy and comfortable.
Electronics I have the regular ITC and although a big improvement, it still has serious lag, particularly on my attached ipod. Browsing ipod content is sloooow. The good news is I usually just run my music off of playlists set to random so that's ok. The Nav is greatly improved. The heads up display is great but I wouldn't have plunked down the $1100 for it had it not been already equipped. The stereo at 325 watts is better than my last Jag but still not as good as the Bose system I had in my 2001 Mazda 626. Backup camera is improved but puts a stupid "Be Safe" type banner over the top quarter of the display for at least 5 seconds when you put it in Reverse, obscuring your view and diminishing the safety that it is reminding you about. Also the ipod audio always skips when putting it into reverse, almost like it's fighting the camera for bandwidth for a second there.
I don't use any of the driver assist modes or cruise control, so no opinion about that. I have used remote start a couple of times on boiling hot days, but the apps are garbage.
I have had the seat memory lose it's mind twice while getting in and had to hit my memory button to get my settings back.
Drive/ride Here is where the car really shines. Ignoring the irritating Start-Stop that I turn off every time I drive, the car really feels balanced, so much more so than my 2011. I had the 5.0 V8 in that beast and it had so much power distributed across the range that it made short maneuvers, like inching up a little a parking space, difficult. The car would jump on you. With the 340HP SC V6, the power stays tucked away until you need it so you don't feel like you are fighting the engine power at low speeds.
The steering and cornering is amazing. The SC acceleration is more than adequate. The exhaust note is more neutered now, but that's a nitpick. The weight reduction is evident and really makes a difference. Even the console cover is super light, and the trunk too, which at first feels "cheap" but you realize that Jaguar was really serious about going full Jenny Craig on this new model.
The brakes feel a little iffy to me - at times they don't feel like they're going to stop the car. The good news is that I almost have no brake dust collecting on my wheels. Previously I found myself washing my car just bc the wheels looked so dirty but you could eat off of those rims now after two weeks of driving. I also like that they pulled the rim profile in a little behind the tire sidewall so no curb chewing of the rims. Nice change.
Turning radius is much better - my old XF felt like a land barge when trying to make a u-turn, this one is much tighter.

Summary Overall, I really really love this car. I didn't want to part with my 2011, which was paid off and immaculate with only 40K miles on it but I drove it into a flooded out street and it pulled water into the intake and kissed the engine goodnight. So when I went to buy a new one, I was not thrilled to give up a car that I loved so much, but this has made me forget all about that one. I had what they now call Ammonite gray (it was Lunar Gray on my XF) and the Blackberry color is amazing. On a cloudy day it looks black but in full sun, you can see that is extremely dark purple. I named it The Purple Panty Whisperer....lol. It was either that or Blackberry Bimbo Magnet.

The following 4 users liked this post by uab9253:
BCJAG (10-20-2016), BruceTheQuail (11-09-2016), jagurapaw007 (12-08-2016), Magnumforc (12-24-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Good write up! Love the color combo. Might want to work on the nickname a bit though. Ha.

I also think the be safe alert on backup is stupid. It cuts off so much of the view and it's there for what feels like half of forever.

For the random seat movement, I finally realized that it's because the controls for memory are in the wrong place (needs to be swapped with window switches). Since the memory buttons are a touch button, it is very easy to inadvertently catch one as you are getting out or shutting the door and not even realize until you get back in the car and wonder wth happened while you were inside.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uab9253
Bought a 2016 XF R-sport miles in July, having come from owning a 2011 XF Premium Portfolio, bought new at the end of 2011. Before that I bought a new X-type (not nearly as bad as people say - I loved that car although to be fair it was my first Jaguar and my first luxury car). After 3 months and 2K milesI will share my review.
Exterior : I love just about everything about the revised look of the car. I have the Blackberry exterior and the R-sport trim which means essentially no chrome. Not the window surrounds (which are black) and not the side panel inserts or grill surround. Those are done in a more "flat" looking metal type material which actually more closely resembles the alloy wheels. Exterior wise, there is nothing that I don't like better about this car.
Interior At first I didn't like what I felt was a far less luxurious looking interior but I've not only gotten used to it, I like it better. I have the piano black inserts and double contrast stitching on Jet interior. It is understated, especially when compared to the E Class, but I liken to a women who knows she's pretty and doesn't have to cake on the loud make up to make you see it. The seats are really nice, as is the moon roof/opaque cover. I don't love how they moved the window controls forward on the door but I'm getting used to it. I also don't like the cheap plastic lower door sections. I do like that they made the driver's floor mat shorter. It's a little thing but appreciate it not getting caught under my gas pedal anymore.
The dashline is amazing and I have the heads up Laser display which adds a hump. The whole thing is much more subdued but driver friendly. Moving the rotating air vents from the middle to the end really diminishes the effect of that though. Seating in all areas feels roomy and comfortable.
Electronics I have the regular ITC and although a big improvement, it still has serious lag, particularly on my attached ipod. Browsing ipod content is sloooow. The good news is I usually just run my music off of playlists set to random so that's ok. The Nav is greatly improved. The heads up display is great but I wouldn't have plunked down the $1100 for it had it not been already equipped. The stereo at 325 watts is better than my last Jag but still not as good as the Bose system I had in my 2001 Mazda 626. Backup camera is improved but puts a stupid "Be Safe" type banner over the top quarter of the display for at least 5 seconds when you put it in Reverse, obscuring your view and diminishing the safety that it is reminding you about. Also the ipod audio always skips when putting it into reverse, almost like it's fighting the camera for bandwidth for a second there.
I don't use any of the driver assist modes or cruise control, so no opinion about that. I have used remote start a couple of times on boiling hot days, but the apps are garbage.
I have had the seat memory lose it's mind twice while getting in and had to hit my memory button to get my settings back.
Drive/ride Here is where the car really shines. Ignoring the irritating Start-Stop that I turn off every time I drive, the car really feels balanced, so much more so than my 2011. I had the 5.0 V8 in that beast and it had so much power distributed across the range that it made short maneuvers, like inching up a little a parking space, difficult. The car would jump on you. With the 340HP SC V6, the power stays tucked away until you need it so you don't feel like you are fighting the engine power at low speeds.
The steering and cornering is amazing. The SC acceleration is more than adequate. The exhaust note is more neutered now, but that's a nitpick. The weight reduction is evident and really makes a difference. Even the console cover is super light, and the trunk too, which at first feels "cheap" but you realize that Jaguar was really serious about going full Jenny Craig on this new model.
The brakes feel a little iffy to me - at times they don't feel like they're going to stop the car. The good news is that I almost have no brake dust collecting on my wheels. Previously I found myself washing my car just bc the wheels looked so dirty but you could eat off of those rims now after two weeks of driving. I also like that they pulled the rim profile in a little behind the tire sidewall so no curb chewing of the rims. Nice change.
Turning radius is much better - my old XF felt like a land barge when trying to make a u-turn, this one is much tighter.

Summary Overall, I really really love this car. I didn't want to part with my 2011, which was paid off and immaculate with only 40K miles on it but I drove it into a flooded out street and it pulled water into the intake and kissed the engine goodnight. So when I went to buy a new one, I was not thrilled to give up a car that I loved so much, but this has made me forget all about that one. I had what they now call Ammonite gray (it was Lunar Gray on my XF) and the Blackberry color is amazing. On a cloudy day it looks black but in full sun, you can see that is extremely dark purple. I named it The Purple Panty Whisperer....lol. It was either that or Blackberry Bimbo Magnet.

Thanks for your entertaining and insightful report. While your XF differs from mine I do like your exterior and interior choices. I actually prefer the Millenium system to the Bose but I would prefer the 1 2 3 buttons for saving stations. I do worry what one wears with a Purple Panty Whisperier or Blackberry Bimbo Magnet coloured Jag. I suggest a Mauve shirt with black jeans--the type which don't leave their colour on your leather. Happy motoring.
AL
PS I also switch off the ON/OFF.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Kind of interesting how the US and Canadian versions differ. I have no "be safe" banner when going to reverse.

There are 3 software updates that were done on my vehicle this week and the ICT seems faster. Navigation comes up super quick and touch seems faster response. Plus it now receives messaging in text and will read them to me. I can reply simply tapping an icon on the display. Big improvement.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to mention one thing about the Meridian system on ICTP, the sound is very compressed as usually is when you listen to FM stations, not as much but STILL COMPRESSED! What were they thinking? It is not even close to digital music dynamics, very poor design in my opinion, compression is usually done so that music sounds louder on average systems so a 50 watt amp would sound like a 100 watt, I am not sure my system is even close to 825 watt! Very very disappointed. If anyone from Jaguar is listening please add an option to disable compression on the next update.

The following users liked this post:
uab9253 (01-31-2017)
Old 12-08-2016, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review uab9253! Looks like you are really loving the XF R-sport! I am also planning to buy a Jaguar XF. I am short on the monies atm, so planning to buy a used one instead of buying a new one. I have researched a lot and have come to the conclusion that buying a pre-owned car is a better as it gives me freedom to buy another one or change to new car in few years time.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, i went on Internet and tried to figure out how to go about buying a used jaguar XF in Delhi, India. There are many aggregators listing jaguar cars that are available in Delhi but don't know if they are reliable. I found out an interesting dealer with a wide range of Jaguars on sale. Don't know if they are reliable either, but their car collection is just too good. I wasn't aware that people have opened business like this one and doing it on such a massive scale.

After checking out their website, my belief has been strengthened to go for a used car. Do you guys have any opinion on buying a used a Jaguar? Do remember that a Jaguar costs much more in India than it would in a western country. I am still fishing for the right car but still want opinion of Jaguar owners to make sure that i am on the right path.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Do you guys have any opinion on buying a used a Jaguar?

Before doing anything else look for a qualified non-dealer repair shop in your area. Jaguars are comparatively reliable but service/repairs will be necessary and the cost of having that done at a dealer will be extremely costly!

Once you locate a shop ask them if they know of any owners who want to sell their car. Buying one with a with a repair shop that is already familiar with a particular car would be the best.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 12-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great write up!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>a Jaguar costs much more in India than it would in a western country.

Why is that? Is it because, although Tata is a domestic company, the cars are assembled outside India?
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Hitchhiked on your post to add my 3 month experience.
Exterior : " Exterior wise, there is nothing that I don't like better about this car." Agree.
Interior: " I also don't like the cheap plastic lower door sections." That seems to be standard on many cars now. I prefer the feel of padded but you have to look close to tell and the plastic is easier to keep clean. " I do like that they made the driver's floor mat shorter." I prefer the full coverage. I like the simplicity of the interior over all and the flow of the line around the cowl and into the cabin is unique. I would prefer something else rather than the aluminum dash and door panels but they're acceptable. Noise level or lack thereof is excellent. Very slight road noise which I'm guessing to be from tires. Interior comfort is excellent in both temperature maintenance and ride comfort.
Electronics: I'm a low tech driver but like the different systems. Have no trouble playing my music off the USB port and radio and like the sound. I find the Nav meets my needs and only dislike is the input method. Don't use it enough to learn and train the voice input. I like the pending direction change reminders in the information panel which gives me everything I want or need to know and I find all the controls easy to use.
Drive/ride: " Here is where the car really shines." +1000 "The brakes feel a little iffy to me - at times they don't feel like they're going to stop the car." Haven't experienced this. I like the brake feel. Light but linear and strong. "The good news is that I almost have no brake dust collecting on my wheels." Yes! Different manufacturers are starting to figure out this inconvenience. The overall ride is really superior to other cars I've owned. Almost zero body roll and tracking that feels like it's on rails. Suspension supple but responsive. A real driver and passenger car....as opposed to purely high performance or comfort. The lighting package is superb.
Summary:Best driving car I have ever owned. Best handling, useful power and range, quiet, and comfortall in the same package. I've owned Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Pontiac, Studebaker, Fiat, Peugeot, Lancia, and Triumph.

The following users liked this post:
uab9253 (01-31-2017)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Exterior : " Exterior wise, there is nothing that I don't like better about this car." Agree.
Interior: " I also don't like the cheap plastic lower door sections." That seems to be standard on many cars now. I prefer the feel of padded but you have to look close to tell and the plastic is easier to keep clean. " I do like that they made the driver's floor mat shorter." I prefer the full coverage. I like the simplicity of the interior over all and the flow of the line around the cowl and into the cabin is unique. I would prefer something else rather than the aluminum dash and door panels but they're acceptable. Noise level or lack thereof is excellent. Very slight road noise which I'm guessing to be from tires. Interior comfort is excellent in both temperature maintenance and ride comfort.
Electronics: I'm a low tech driver but like the different systems. Have no trouble playing my music off the USB port and radio and like the sound. I find the Nav meets my needs and only dislike is the input method. Don't use it enough to learn and train the voice input. I like the pending direction change reminders in the information panel which gives me everything I want or need to know and I find all the controls easy to use.
Drive/ride: " Here is where the car really shines." +1000 "The brakes feel a little iffy to me - at times they don't feel like they're going to stop the car." Haven't experienced this. I like the brake feel. Light but linear and strong. "The good news is that I almost have no brake dust collecting on my wheels." Yes! Different manufacturers are starting to figure out this inconvenience. The overall ride is really superior to other cars I've owned. Almost zero body roll and tracking that feels like it's on rails. Suspension supple but responsive. A real driver and passenger car....as opposed to purely high performance or comfort. The lighting package is superb.
Summary:Best driving car I have ever owned. Best handling, useful power and range, quiet, and comfortall in the same package. I've owned Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Pontiac, Studebaker, Fiat, Peugeot, Lancia, and Triumph.

Thanks for your personal review. I agree. I have the burled walnut but have the aluminum corrugated trim ie the glove box but overall it is a neat, well constructed, good quality assortment of bits and pieces. I think that Jaguar wants to make the car distinctive and I doubt they would slather the dash with shiny wood to emulate the E series MB. I believe that a lot of drivers will appreciate this very taut, well-engineered auto.
AL

Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BCJAG
...I have the burled walnut but have the aluminum corrugated trim ie the glove box... I doubt they would slather the dash with shiny wood to emulate the E series MB....
I have the same wood as well. I think leather to replace the aluminum would be better. The morse code aluminum seems out of place.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The walnut trim is too dark and not a worthwhile option. It lives permanently in the shadows, so on a sunny day you can't be sure it's not piano black.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by pab
>Do you guys have any opinion on buying a used a Jaguar?

Before doing anything else look for a qualified non-dealer repair shop in your area. Jaguars are comparatively reliable but service/repairs will be necessary and the cost of having that done at a dealer will be extremely costly!

Once you locate a shop ask them if they know of any owners who want to sell their car. Buying one with a with a repair shop that is already familiar with a particular car would be the best.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
I may be wrong, but most Jags with leftover warranty transfers to the new owner, including scheduled maintenance. My current XF was the dealer loaner and had 7k miles. My previous one was a one year off lease with 4k miles. Both cars are/were covered to the entirety of the warranty duration.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I agree with your assessment on the body roll. The brakes, I think, just took me some getting used to. My 2011 brakes really felt big and powerful but they shed dust to the rims like there was no tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vichkhan
I want to mention one thing about the Meridian system on ICTP, the sound is very compressed as usually is when you listen to FM stations, not as much but STILL COMPRESSED! What were they thinking? It is not even close to digital music dynamics, very poor design in my opinion, compression is usually done so that music sounds louder on average systems so a 50 watt amp would sound like a 100 watt, I am not sure my system is even close to 825 watt! Very very disappointed. If anyone from Jaguar is listening please add an option to disable compression on the next update.
I too am a little disappointed in the audio. Yes, as a lifelong musician and home studio rat, I also hear the compression. It's also extremely bass heavy and would love to have at least a 5 band eq over bass/mid/treble. I listen with my ipod attached in the console permanently so I know the source is not the issue, nor is it bluetooth (which I can't stand - it sounds as crappy as Sirius. It came with what I thought was going to be 3 months of new owner/free Sirius but it went more than a month over the cutoff. Free forever? Yea! But then on my first scheduled maintenance, they cut off my free lunch. However, I was able to sign up for another 2 months free somehow. I do like the "talk" channels on Sirius, but most of the good ones are on the second tier of subscription so not sure if they are worth the money. I don't have the ITCP, just the base, and they did an update during maintenance as well and the music system reads the ipod and reacts faster now but still slow. The music glitch when putting into reverse is now gone, thankfully.

Was so glad I didn't have ITCP because the update time at the dealer would have been around 90minutes (I was waiting with the car bc I live about 75 minutes away) but for mine was "only" about 25 minutes, which they let run while doing the other work.