XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Smart key low battery warning.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Smart key low battery warning.....

I keep getting this reading with both of my smart keys. The batteries were replaced a year ago, and usually they last longer.

Anyway - I changed them and am still getting the reading "SMART KEY BATTERY LOW".

This occurs in my driveway by my house or anywhere else. There have been no changes to any other wireless devices in my car or my cell phone.

It's disconcerting - and I'm looking for the remedy, believing its a faulty reading.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Car runs great otherwise.

Thank you!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

What is the age and condition of the vehicle battery? A failing or weak battery can cause many electrical and other phantom faults.

The following users liked this post:
Dallas Rockford (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The car BATTERY is 14 months old. The car may be possessed. Just went out and tried it and notification.

A couple of hours ago it gave the warning after Not giving it.

I'm going to check the battery, and if that's not the issue, I'm

calling a priest!

thank you!!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Try the car with one key - with the other one way out of range. Then swap and try again. That should help you identify which fob it believes to have a problem.

Once you work that out, couple of suggestions. Try replacing the fob battery again in case it’s a bad one. And also check that a button isn’t stuck in or getting pushed when you store it. Someone had that problem a year ago - button was stuck on and running down the key fob battery in a day or so

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

With the ignition switch in the off position, the vehicle battery should have a minimum of 12.5 volts across the terminals. If not, have the battery tested.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
With the ignition switch in the off position, the vehicle battery should have a minimum of 12.5 volts across the terminals. If not, have the battery tested.
Make sure the battery gets to reach a quiescent state before taking the measurement. Opening doors or anything that uses electricity will cause the battery to show low voltage until rested. The headlight fans draw some current and remain on for about 15 minutes after closing a door.