XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Speed Limit Information Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Speed Limit Information Questions

I have a 2017 XF 35t R Sport with the 10" centre display and all graphic display instrument panel. I believe this is called the tech pro pack. I live in the US.

1. The speed limit information only shows up on the centre display for certain, mostly major, roads. As soon as I pull off these roads, it vanishes, even if there are posted speed limits. My wife's BMW X3 shows speed limit information on all roads and appears to read the road side speed limit signs, even if they are school speed limits that are only effective for limited times. Is this a limitation of the Jaguar system or is there a software upgrade that will allow it to be of more use?

2. I have seen screen shots where the speed limit shows up on the instrument display in front of the driver (even on 2017 models). I have tried all the display styles and it does not show up on any of them. Is there an option I cannot find or, again, is there a software upgrade that will allow me to display the speed limit in front of me, instead of only on the centre display stack.

Any help or guidance would be of help. The dealer is often not much help.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

My speed limit signs show on all roads that have them posted.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
My speed limit signs show on all roads that have them posted.
Thank you for the information. This would tend to indicate that my system is either faulty or there is a configuration option that requires setting. Any clue which?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I believe you are referring to the traffic sign recognition which displays the speed limit for a given road.

This function performs without any issues in my car. There have been certain instances where it did not display speed limit information on back roads when signs may not have been present in rural areas. I have the head up display and the speed limit information displays there most of the time, as well as in the center instrument display.

I do not know of any settings for traffic sign recognition other than switching it on or off via Driver Assistance in the instrument panel menu.

In case you are not aware, this feature uses a camera in the rear-view mirror to detect speed limit signs. It uses a combination of navigation information and actual road signs.

From the manual: “When the standard road navigation is not available, the traffic sign recognition system uses the forward-facing camera only. In this circumstance, system performance may be limited”.

Make sure you do not have any obstructions or dirt on the windshield in front of the rear-view mirror. The system may have difficulty reading speed limit information in areas you travel. If this is not the problem, there may be a software issue with your car.

Updating your navigation software to the latest version may also help. Go to https://jaguar.here.com and then Maps and Services. Since you have a 2017 model, there is no charge to update the US software using a USB stick.

A side note: I just took my car to the dealer for two minor software
annoyances. When the right-side mirror dipped while reversing, it would not always return to its normal position. Also, my front parking sensors worked intermittently. These were both solved with a software update.

The following users liked this post:
whitbyxf (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Thank you for the information. This would tend to indicate that my system is either faulty or there is a configuration option that requires setting. Any clue which?
Oops.... my bad. I paid more attention to mine and it doesn't show it on all posted roads like I stated and thought. Mine acts just like yours.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jmfan
I believe you are referring to the traffic sign recognition which displays the speed limit for a given road.

This function performs without any issues in my car. There have been certain instances where it did not display speed limit information on back roads when signs may not have been present in rural areas. I have the head up display and the speed limit information displays there most of the time, as well as in the center instrument display.

I do not know of any settings for traffic sign recognition other than switching it on or off via Driver Assistance in the instrument panel menu.

In case you are not aware, this feature uses a camera in the rear-view mirror to detect speed limit signs. It uses a combination of navigation information and actual road signs.

From the manual: “When the standard road navigation is not available, the traffic sign recognition system uses the forward-facing camera only. In this circumstance, system performance may be limited”.

Make sure you do not have any obstructions or dirt on the windshield in front of the rear-view mirror. The system may have difficulty reading speed limit information in areas you travel. If this is not the problem, there may be a software issue with your car.

Updating your navigation software to the latest version may also help. Go to https://jaguar.here.com and then Maps and Services. Since you have a 2017 model, there is no charge to update the US software using a USB stick.

A side note: I just took my car to the dealer for two minor software
annoyances. When the right-side mirror dipped while reversing, it would not always return to its normal position. Also, my front parking sensors worked intermittently. These were both solved with a software update.
Thank you. Also I have both of the issues you were discussing at the end of the email, so I am beginning to think that a software update may be required. BTW I checked for obstruction and there are none that are obvious.

I looked at my Driver Assistance options and one for traffic sign recognition does not exist which is described in the manual. Do you have a HUD? I am wondering whether it is associated with having a HUD.

Last edited by whitbyxf; 03-27-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added HUD question.