XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Terminology for red vehicles is a mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Terminology for red vehicles is a mess

When we decided to buy a new dark red XF, we discovered that the terminology that Jaguar uses for red vehicles is a real mess. During the search, our dealer came up with a number of vehicle colors that we couldn't find. Italian Racing Red is obvious, but the darker red was Odyssey, Aurora, plus a couple others I can't remember. The one that our dealer found was listed as Odyssey red on the paperwork; but when it arrived, it was Aurora red. The first thing my wife said when she saw it was, "That's UGLY!" We decided to keep it and try to grow into it, but by the next day, we knew we weren't going to keep a car that we just paid around $60k for when we couldn't live with the color. We don't do this everyday - this is the first car that we've had as a couple that had a warranty. So the dealer took it back (for a extra $1,000) and found our present one. The paperwork on this one listed it as "Montalcino Red" which isn't even a Jaguar color, but the badge on the car says "Odyssey Red." I'm not happy that Jaguar's screwed-up terminology cost us an additional $1,000, but we did drive the first car while they brought in the second one.

Also difficult to figure out: The first one was built in March of 2016, yet they still called it a 2017. How can that be legal?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

It's amazing there is so much confusion about a red car! I'm glad you ended up with one you're happy with. Although surprised the dealer made you pay $1000 for the privilege

Model year is confusing and no fixed rules. Typically the new model year starts to be sold in late summer / autumn of the previous year. So build dates of aug / sep onwards are quite likely for the next model year. So if you go to the Jag website today they are selling 2018 model year.
March sounds very early - I'd suspect that was more likely to be a late model of the previous year....

Old 09-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

At least you can tell people generally that your Jaguar is red. My Jaguar is "Caviar" color and looking through the Carfax, its been noted variously as maroon, purple or brown. Depending on the light, it could be any of them and from dusk to dawn it even appears black. So if people ask me what color is my car, I don't even know what to tell them.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They got the color name right on mine. It's Blackberry Metallic and it truly is very, very dark purple. It looks black on a cloudy day but in the sunshine, you can tell it's somewhat purple. I found the reds to be weird too - I wanted IRR but when I saw the Blackberry I was hooked.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's the same color I'm speaking of, the tag on the car llisted it as "Aurora Red."

Originally Posted by uab9253
They got the color name right on mine. It's Blackberry Metallic and it truly is very, very dark purple. It looks black on a cloudy day but in the sunshine, you can tell it's somewhat purple. I found the reds to be weird too - I wanted IRR but when I saw the Blackberry I was hooked.