XF (X260) 2015 onwards

What do the driving modes actually do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do the driving modes actually do?

I have a 2015 (new shape) XF R Sport. The driving modes are Dynamic, Normal, Eco and Snow. What are the actual differences? Especially interested in dynamic - what does it really do??

Old 05-14-2017, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

dynamic will increase your rev range thorugh the entire gear set. For example, your second to third gear shift will happen about 2k RPM's higher than normal. It will hold 3rd gear alot longer than that. Keeps the car in the meat of the tourque curve. Eco..saves gas by turning your engine off when stopped, cant remember what snow does, ...its all in the manual

Old 05-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cherry!!

My XF is a manual so your rev range answer I guess is more relevant to an automatic.

I guess I wondered whether in dynamic you get the full 180bhp other than in normal when it may be a bit less. Also, does the suspension stiffen or does it change any other settings like that in dynamic? And I've also heard somewhere that in dynamic the car "learns" your driving style but not sure whether to believe this.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Your XF is a manual? Are you sure it's an XF?

Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,124 Likes on 2,304 Posts

The clue is in the OP's first sentence, it's a "new shape" XF ie an X260. It's also a 4 pot Ingenium diesel, on which you can get a manual trans.
This thread should be moved to the X260 section.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJLewis1970
I have a 2015 (new shape) XF R Sport. The driving modes are Dynamic, Normal, Eco and Snow. What are the actual differences? Especially interested in dynamic - what does it really do??
Welcome to the forum MikeJLewis,

I've moved your question from X250 to X260 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

(click on the images to enlarge them)

What do the driving modes actually do?-x260_dm_1.jpg

What do the driving modes actually do?-x260_dm_2.jpg

What do the driving modes actually do?-x260_dm_3.jpg

What do the driving modes actually do?-x260_dm_4.jpg

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJLewis1970
Thanks Cherry!!

My XF is a manual so your rev range answer I guess is more relevant to an automatic.

I guess I wondered whether in dynamic you get the full 180bhp other than in normal when it may be a bit less. Also, does the suspension stiffen or does it change any other settings like that in dynamic? And I've also heard somewhere that in dynamic the car "learns" your driving style but not sure whether to believe this.
I have a manual gearbox too, my dealer tells me that I am the only one they have sold so far.

The Dynamic setting firms up engine response to acceleration - trying flooring the throttle first in Eco and then in Dynamic for extreme comparisons. Suspension is also noticeably tightened. I drive exclusively in Dynamic, but always have to remember to switch over first thing in the morning. In the dark winter months it is easy because you miss the red tick marks around the speedometer and rev counter...

The Snow / Ice setting similarly cuts down the power and combined with higher gear makes driving very much safer and easier, I can testify to that.

Enjoy your XF!