XF (X260) 2015 onwards

What, if anything, goes wrong with this model

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
Default What, if anything, goes wrong with this model

Hi all,

I am researching a potential replacement for my current 2010 XJL 5.0L S/C. It is fully loaded, fast, and beautiful. Though I have been repairing everything out of warranty, and think I might prefer to be under warranty coverage. I’m currently thinking about a certified pre-owned 2016/2017 MY XF.

As such, I was hoping you could all fill me in on what the weak points are on this model, even if covered by warranty. Does anything wear/ break routinely on this model? Any engines worth avoiding (experience with this model or other models using the same engines). Any model year differences worth considering? Head gaskets, timing chains, water pumps, tensioners, sunroofs, electronics...etc?

What year/ trim level do you recommend? Packages? What is a good offer these days? I’m considering a budget of $25k-$35k.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

No replies in over a week gives you the answer for failures and weak points. Lighting package is worth it, comfort package is worth it if you have weather extremes where you live (looks like you don't) but also includes trunk opener/closer and auto close doors (this feature not worth it IMO) ICT Pro may be worth it if you're into connectivity and all digital dash.

The following 2 users liked this post by mleskovar:
MellieR (03-21-2019), tinmanwpk (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

What engine are you considering ? Have a look through the forum and you'll get a pretty good idea of common fault areas. If you want ride comfort, try to avoid the "R" models.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
What engine are you considering ? Have a look through the forum and you'll get a pretty good idea of common fault areas. If you want ride comfort, try to avoid the "R" models.
I believe they are all the 3.0L supercharged 6 cylinder engine. That is all we can get stateside.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

As mentioned above I’ve only seen the supercharged V6. Not really sure what the trim level differences are. I am going to visit the nearby dealerships soon to check them out. Any clarification on that would be helpful though.

I really like my XJ but don’t want to pay that much for a 2016/2017 model. The XF has a better price point for my budget and looks like it can provide similar offerings.

Im also getting quotes for all planned future service work on my XJ to see if it makes more sense to keep it. If it’s too expensive, though I will likely be sub-forum hopping.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Zero major problems with my 2017 XF. The only trips to the dealer have been for annual service and to update the InControl Touch Pro software, which started to get sluggish and developed iPhone connectivity issues several months ago. The update works great and feels like I took delivery of a new car again.

I could not live without the InControl Touch Pro and 380hp V6. Just averaged almost 31 mpg on a 440-mile trip, which I find amazing for a big and powerful car. I love the engine, transmission and handling in my car. I would recommend the R Sport or S model if you can find one that fits your budget. I will bet you can find a low mileage car and get it at a ridiculously low price if you negotiate hard. I see new XF’s in my area for $20k off MSRP. The demand is for the SUV’s and the sedans sit on the lot with dealers begging to find buyers.

I was torn between a 2017 XJ R sport and my 2017 XF S. After delivery, I wished I had gone for the XJ, but after driving my XF for a while now, I have really grown to love it. I generally don’t keep cars past 2 ½ years and I am not tired of the XF yet.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:16 AM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

No major problems with my 16 XF. Bought it for the power and love it still. She corners like the fat lady she is but, pulls straight easily enough.

Biggest issue sue was getting updates on the ICT system since it was totally new to market early 2016 and a little buggy. After three updates, it’s been problem free.

There was a tsb on trunk gasket - mine was replaced without me knowing until I picked it up - I never had an issue with it but dealer did it anyway. TBH, would have preferred they left it until or if it was an issue. But I guess it’s good to be ahead of it.

The repeating issue has been with the steering wheel cowl cover. It squeaks. And sometimes prevents the turn signal from staying on. My dealer has adjusted it and readjusted. The last time my service advisor said they will just replace it if it happens again. It has recently started squeaking agin but I haven’t taken it in yet as it’s not interfering with blinker operation. I’ll get around to it eventually. It doesn’t affect my driving enjoyment one bit.

As as far as any of the items you’ve referenced, I don’t have any issues. None. Mechanically she’s been a dream (coming out of Audi’s).

As as far as what trim to buy, that’s a personal preference. I’m not into “lush”, I like the clean sporty lines of the 16 interior, probably due to previous Audi experience. I bought the premiere (base) trim but added nav and blind spot so it was spec’d like the next level up, minus heated seats - not necessary in Fla.. It matters to some people just not to me. Your budget should allow you to get whatever options you want.