XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2 Weeks into Ownership and Someone Keyed My XF...Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry 2 Weeks into Ownership and Someone Keyed My XF...Seriously?

Ughhh......

I am writing this post in the utmost level of disgust. Sheer disgust.

Someone keyed my car today. I can't believe it. Don't know when it happened, not quite sure where (though I'd assume Walmart...that's what I get for taking a Jag to Walmart for 5 min...) and I'm livid. Starts on the lower right side of the rear bumper, all the way up to the rear passenger door handle and a nice clean sweep across the rear passenger door. Luckily, they stopped there.

Whoever did it must have been either in a rush or a TERRIBLE 'keyer' as the stroke is not very deep (can't feel it much when I rub over it with my hand, but still...what frustrates me is that they had the audacity to do it in the first place.

Don't know if I'm going address it right away or just wait until there's another to get my money's worth. Given that it has only been two weeks since I got it, I'm sure many more will appear as the years (Even months) progress.

It's not like I'm in the ghetto...suburbia is apparently worse than its cracked up to be.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I can imagine how upset you are. Hopefully it can be easily taken out with a paint correction.

Whoever did it will pay for it in a lot worse way....what goes around comes around.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Sorry to hear. I just removed a scratch down the side of my wifes SUV from a tree branch. It wasn't very deep, but very visible. After washing the car, I used Quik Detailer and clay to clean the area, then polished with a DA polisher using Klasse All in One, followed by Klasse sealant glaze, and carnuba wax. It is no longer visible at any angle.

A scratch remover may work, as it is essentially a more aggressive polishing compound. You could try doing it by hand if you do not have a DA polisher. Other products similar to above should also work. If it doesn't remove it, it may take the sting out of it visually until you get it reworked. (I fear the parking lots)

Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,822 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Second report of a keying on the forum within a week. It makes me so mad.

Hope it will polish out.

Graham

Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah that really sucks. It can happen anywhere. In any neighborhood. I don't take my car to any grocery stores or Walmart type places where carts run freely and people don't pay attention.

Last edited by ttboonie; 07-03-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

All I can say is DAMN and I feel your pain.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about something. I ask gently as I really don't wish to rub salt into the wounds.

For those of you who've been keyed before was there anything unusual about when or where you parked that could give someone a justification (in their own little mind) for wanting to key you?

For example, did you park in a handicap spot (without a placard), or a no-parking fire lane, or take up two spots so that noone can door ding you (this one is guaranteed to tick people off!)

I ask so that I can learn about and hopefully avoid the same kind of situation.

FWIW, I do try to avoid taking the Jag to Walmart. I can see people getting torqued off just because you have such a nice car. Not to mention the way loose carts go flying across the parking lot in these crazy Oklahoma winds!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Second report of a keying on the forum within a week. It makes me so mad.

Hope it will polish out.

Graham
Mine was the first. Someone carved an "FU" on my S-Type hood. I was able to repair it fairly well using Turtle Wax Scratch Repair kit. You can see the before and after pics on the S-Type forum.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by hackman
I'm curious about something. I ask gently as I really don't wish to rub salt into the wounds.

For those of you who've been keyed before was there anything unusual about when or where you parked that could give someone a justification (in their own little mind) for wanting to key you?

For example, did you park in a handicap spot (without a placard), or a no-parking fire lane, or take up two spots so that noone can door ding you (this one is guaranteed to tick people off!)

I ask so that I can learn about and hopefully avoid the same kind of situation.

FWIW, I do try to avoid taking the Jag to Walmart. I can see people getting torqued off just because you have such a nice car. Not to mention the way loose carts go flying across the parking lot in these crazy Oklahoma winds!
Sure, I would love to answer.

1. Never park in handicapped.

2. Never park in fire lanes.

3. Sometimes, very rarely, do I take up two spots. Being in the middle of nowhere, most people don't care because theres a surplus of spots. When I do, I don't go right down the middle, just maybe 6-12 inches over the line so someone doesn't want to squeeze in. I also note that I haven't done this at all in the past week or two (obviously the time period in which I owned the car).

I have to take my car in for service for the rear sunshade motor not working (which I complained of when I bought the car, they said no, no its just probably because it wasn't used for a while, but my dealer said they would look and hopefully it would be covered under warranty). Will have that looked at while I am in, too. I need to set up an appointment.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboonie
Yeah that really sucks. It can happen anywhere. In any neighborhood. I don't take my car to any grocery stores or Walmart type places where carts run freely and people don't pay attention.
I totally agree. Mine has never been to Walmart and went to the grocery store for the first time this past Sunday. And wouldn't you know it, as I'm walking out, a shopping cart goes rolling in the parking lot but FORTUNATELY not toward my car but right into another car. Needless to say that will probably be the last time! I have a work truck with plenty of scratches and dents. Sorry to you arlingtonman. I can only imagine how mad you are.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So sorry to hear of this unnecessary destruction... I can not tolerate those who destroy other peoples stuff for no reason (same as those who plant viruses on the internet), whether it be for jealousy/envy or for the sheer sake of causing damage. I remember driving past those "occupy people" last November and some of the stuff they were yelling at me as I drove by... makes me sick!!! But if someone would key my hood I could get those sap stains/etches taken care of...

On a side note... Our Jeep got attacked by a shopping cart at Wally World a year or so ago, which had I not see happen would have had me thinking someone keyed the vehicle.... another thing that pi*ses me off... leaving shopping carts out in the lot rather than walking the few extra feet to put them in the cart corral.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM

I really don't think it was a shopping cart or anything like that as the scratch is not a sraight line. Across back bumper lower (right above rear tire and up at a slant to about the door handles and across

Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Sorry to hear of the ruthless acts of vandalism.
I have no tollerance for these acts and if I caught somone doing it I am not sure what I would do. Obviously if they were minors the cops would be called and their parents would have to pay for the damages. Then hopefully the parents will take care of them. I hope it buffs out for you.

In any event it reminds me of a story. I had a very clean 280 ZX that had recently been painted and at a auto parts store some lady opended her Cadillac car door into my door hard enough to set the alarm off. I went out and she was arrogant and disrespectfull and did not appologize. I went over and planted my foot in her door. Everyone in the store started clapping and cheering. Idiots! Had she been appologetic and said she was sorry I would have just been mad and not retaliated.

I agree I do not do anything like taking extra spots to tick anyone off. What I do is park way out of sight and use the extra walk for the excersize and to preserve my vehicles. This also back filed on me one day I came out of a store and saw a car parked right against my drivers door. At first I thought they were stealing my car or stereo. I had to climb in through the passengers door as there was no room to even squeeze in between the drivers door. But luckily no key marks or damage!

I hope we don't hear of anymore incidents.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Man that really blows.

The local Costco had a multi-pack of scratch fixer pens for about $15. Might be worth a try.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's terrible and sucks . I see no point of doing such obnoxious things

Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
I really don't think it was a shopping cart or anything like that as the scratch is not a sraight line. Across back bumper lower (right above rear tire and up at a slant to about the door handles and across
Just looking for a shred of sense and vandalism makes no sense... no one gains. I've gone the extra bit in the past week to install a GoPro camera in my Jag to document my journey , as well as when the car is at rest sometimes... might be an option for that extra piece of mind...

Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wife's Tech
Just looking for a shred of sense and vandalism makes no sense... no one gains. I've gone the extra bit in the past week to install a GoPro camera in my Jag to document my journey , as well as when the car is at rest sometimes... might be an option for that extra piece of mind...
I thought about investing in a touch-sensitive security system to defer people from even touching my car. Don't know much about the cost of purchasing/installing one, though.

Never heard of a go-pro camera.. A few ?s:

1) how does it work?

2) can it see most angles of the outside of the car? And if so, how?

3) how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arlington, I am really sorry to hear this. It makes me very very unhappy that people indulge in such juvenile behavior. There is absolutely NO reason to destroy someone else's property just because you don't have a nice car. Like they say that someone is going to have to pay this back some day.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  19.3 KB

First of all let me say I'm so so sorry to hear that ...............Never ceases to amaze me that someone would do that out of envy / jealousy probably!

You say its not very deepo and I assume hasn't broken the paintwork?
You could try using some Megs ScratchX or similar combined with some elbow grease may take the worst of it out....
Or try checking out for a good detailer in your area, it might be repairable and save you $$$ on getting it resprayed..

Good luck and hope to hear

I also hope that karma does its thing........

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so sorry to hear that.... Just totally wrong!