XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF dome light flicker and widow electrical problem

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 XF dome light flicker and widow electrical problem

quick question so i purchased a 2009 jag xf with 70000 miles on it about 2 weeks later i noticed the dome light flickering. all doors are closed, no warning lights are shown, and engine runs great. It does not matter if im driving or sitting in park it will turn on and off randomly often times looking like a strobe, also my front passenger side window has no problem going down but coming back up it requires the switch to be activated 3 time. the window will go half way up then come down on the first 2 attempts and then the third it will fully go up any one have any suggestions.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Plug in that widow and she should recharge quickly, unless she's too old.

There was a run of defective overhead consoles causing lighting troubles. Also water leaks might be causing an issue up there.

The passenger window problem sounds like the auto up function needs resetting. What seems to be happening is the window is sensing an obstruction as it rises and auto reverses. This is a safety feature. The re-set procedure is in the Owners Handbook and goes something like: open the window all the way, then close and hold the window closed with the switch for several seconds (30 maybe?). That re-sets the top closed position for the auto reverse sensor.

Alternatively the window guide may be dirty or the mechanism sticking.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Plug in that widow and she should recharge quickly, unless she's too old.

There was a run of defective overhead consoles causing lighting troubles. Also water leaks might be causing an issue up there.

The passenger window problem sounds like the auto up function needs resetting. What seems to be happening is the window is sensing an obstruction as it rises and auto reverses. This is a safety feature. The re-set procedure is in the Owners Handbook and goes something like: open the window all the way, then close and hold the window closed with the switch for several seconds (30 maybe?). That re-sets the top closed position for the auto reverse sensor.

Alternatively the window guide may be dirty or the mechanism sticking.
LOL - I agree that age or family status probably has little to do with either issue!! The electrical issue could be a lot of things, probably none too major, and the auto feature does seem to need to be reset.

I do have another window question, though - Both of my rear windows (as opposed to widows) only go down about 2 inches upon first full depress of the switches and then they will go down all the way with the second press. This is identical on both sides. Haven't looked in the manual yet, but is this a normal safety kind of feature? I kind of like it because if I want to crack the rear windows, they go exactly where you'd want them...

The following users liked this post:
jagular (07-18-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Never noticed that on mine.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
I do have another window question, though - Both of my rear windows (as opposed to widows) only go down about 2 inches upon first full depress of the switches and then they will go down all the way with the second press. This is identical on both sides. Haven't looked in the manual yet, but is this a normal safety kind of feature? I kind of like it because if I want to crack the rear windows, they go exactly where you'd want them...
My 2012 does the same thing. Even the front windows will crack a small amount for a quick single press. If you hold the down switch for longer than a second the windows go all the way down instead of just cracking open.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

The rear window partway setting is set intentionally to reduce buffeting when driving with all windows open.

The following users liked this post:
jagular (07-18-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Gotta try this. The cracked open position is also very useful in cool and humid conditions to rapidly vent the car as it warms up, reducing fogging.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i used to have an XF and that light drove me nuts, it would turn into a disco in my car.

you can get it replaced

Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_man
quick question so i purchased a 2009 jag xf with 70000 miles on it about 2 weeks later i noticed the dome light flickering. all doors are closed, no warning lights are shown, and engine runs great. It does not matter if im driving or sitting in park it will turn on and off randomly often times looking like a strobe, also my front passenger side window has no problem going down but coming back up it requires the switch to be activated 3 time. the window will go half way up then come down on the first 2 attempts and then the third it will fully go up any one have any suggestions.
No experience with the window issue but that dome light problem is a KNOWN issue. Even out of warranty, u may be able to get your dealer to fix it. The solution is a new over head console which is about a thousand, or the cheaper route, but effective is replacing the internal circuit board. My dealer fixed mines after changing out the internal circuit board. I believe there is a factory bulletin on it because I wasn't charged even though my warranty had expired. I don't think a recall is out but jaguar did put out a bulletin which is similar to a recall. The difference is jaguar don't have to notified customers of the issue/recall. A bulletin is for when u come in and report the problem, they still fix free of charge.

Last edited by TheLegend; 07-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheLegend:
jagular (07-16-2013), Per (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

That's it. This should have already been fixed under warranty so go to your dealer and make some noise.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

It wasn't considered a safety issue, so it came out as a TSB. I think the replacement control boards are a stock part now, as it is a lot cheaper to replace it than the whole overhead console.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Both my '09 XFS and my '11 XFR had the same overhead map light flicker at one point, and both consoles were replaced under warranty. Although, when they replaced the console in my '09 XFS, they forgot to replace the Bluetooth microphone, so I had to take it back in (which was obviously a pita).

Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
LOL - I agree that age or family status probably has little to do with either issue!! The electrical issue could be a lot of things, probably none too major, and the auto feature does seem to need to be reset.

Mine does this very useful trick also. New feature and very handy. I like it!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, this is explained in the owner's manual. Open the driver window while moving and you will get blown apart. A full quick press of the driver side rear window switch lowers it enough to calm the air.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

We'll agree to disagree, I guess... I hate that rear window feature and actually have it on my To-Do list to have it disabled the next time I'm at the dealership (I keep forgetting). It's driven me nuts for years (on my previous XFS, too) and, if anything, I think it should be a customizable option like so many others on the car. If I ever want to use the auto-down feature to roll my rear windows down, it's always because l want ALL of my windows to go ALL the way down. I don't want Jaguar predicting, dictating, and subsequently interfering with how far I "should" want them to go down. And, if they're going to use that aggravating feature on the rear windows, I wish they would've at least been consistent and also added it to the front windows. Because, if I try to roll all of the windows down at the same time, and don't remember to double auto-push the rear switches, I only see the front windows go down, and then get buffeted like crazy above 30 mph, because the air isn't able to flow through the car as easily with the rear windows only cracked. Further, I really hope they add an additional single window switch for universal auto open/close to the driver's side door switch panel on future models, as I've seen it and loved it on some other cars.

On a side note, I'm also really annoyed that on my '12 Range Rover Sport, the sunroof can't be opened or closed along with the windows through the universal auto open/close command on either the key fob or the door handle. Hell, even my 1990 VW in high school had that feature. But, it's not even an option on my RRS. Go figure.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Using the global open feature opens all the windows fully. Also opens the sunroof though which you'd have to close.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

How does global open work again? Is that via the fob? Hold unlock?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
We'll agree to disagree, I guess... I hate that rear window feature and actually have it on my To-Do list to have it disabled the next time I'm at the dealership (I keep forgetting). It's driven me nuts for years (on my previous XFS, too) and, if anything, I think it should be a customizable option like so many others on the car. If I ever want to use the auto-down feature to roll my rear windows down, it's always because l want ALL of my windows to go ALL the way down. I don't want Jaguar predicting, dictating, and subsequently interfering with how far I "should" want them to go down. And, if they're going to use that aggravating feature on the rear windows, I wish they would've at least been consistent and also added it to the front windows. Because, if I try to roll all of the windows down at the same time, and don't remember to double auto-push the rear switches, I only see the front windows go down, and then get buffeted like crazy above 30 mph, because the air isn't able to flow through the car as easily with the rear windows only cracked. Further, I really hope they add an additional single window switch for universal auto open/close to the driver's side door switch panel on future models, as I've seen it and loved it on some other cars.

On a side note, I'm also really annoyed that on my '12 Range Rover Sport, the sunroof can't be opened or closed along with the windows through the universal auto open/close command on either the key fob or the door handle. Hell, even my 1990 VW in high school had that feature. But, it's not even an option on my RRS. Go figure.
It would seem that the option of opening slightly or all the way already exists (beyond the global open on the key fob). If you quickly fully depress then release the rear window switches, it will go to the vent position. All you have to do to have them open all the way is to hold the switch down for maybe an extra half a second until the window goes past that first stop point. There's no need for a second window control action, but you do need to know what you're trying to do in advance.

What I find much more perplexing is the sync feature for the climate control - having to go into the climate menu to select sync is kind of ridiculous, when it could just as easily be done through some kind of longer hard key depression.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
How does global open work again? Is that via the fob? Hold unlock?
Yes to both your last two questions. On your MY, the unlock function on the instrument panel also does the same thing.

Last edited by Jerry S; 07-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

My global close isn't operating even though I have selected that option in the settings menu. Very odd. Waiting for my dealer to answer why?

After my mechanic patiently explained that only the driver's door exterior lock button operates the global close I tried it and it does indeed work.

According to the Handbook the dashboard lock button should also work to global close but doesn't which is annoying. The lock button on the fob no longer works to activate global close, supposedly for safety reasons.

Last edited by jagular; 07-25-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 XF dome light flicker and widow electrical problem