XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2010 XF Premium Features

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XF Premium Features

Hi Folks,

Bought a 2010 Pearl Gray XF Premium last month, and have some questions about features which my dealer is clueless about. Maybe one of you can enlighten me.

1) Brochure says the Premium has bi-Xenon with cornering lamps. I do not see any cornering lamps and the hi beams appear to be halogens, not xenon (yellowish).
2) Can the seat memory be linked to the keyfob- so depending on which one, either M1 or M2 position is pre-selected
3) The steering moves up and out of the way when door is opened, but I thought the seat also moves back to allow easier entry/exit.

The global window/sunfoof close feature was not working. Dealer had to apply a software update. Took him a day to do it.

Also, the cruise control seems to disengage when car goes over bumps. This happend 2-3 times, but dealer was unable to reproduce it. Now I cannot either. Wonder if others have had same experience.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. The inner high beam lamps are definitely halogen, but the outer Xenons may also function as high beams via electric "shutters" that open up. I haven't looked at mine (also a 2010 XF Premium) closely, but that's how it is on Mercedes. I replaced my inner halogens with Hoen Xenonmatch Titanium (4300 Kelvin), 75W H7 bulbs, and the color looks very much like the Xenons. If you go that route, you might want to think about the small white parking light between the hi and low beams, because that also looks yellowish. I replaced those (as well as my rear license plate bulbs) with Hoen dLED 2 axis W5W / 164 / 198 bulbs. Another option is to get chrome-covered amber bulbs that light up amber.

2. I don't think this feature is available in an XF. Strangely, I had it in my S-type, but I deactivated it.

3. Only the steering wheel moves, unlike on my S-type, where the seat also moved. I think this is a safety feature (same on Mercedes). I prefer steering wheel only, as you never know what might get crushed back there when the seat moves back. It would have been nice if they gave you a choice of steering only or both.

4. I noticed the global window close issue you mentioned as well. It seems Jaguar de-activated this for 2010 models. My salesman was aware of it and said they could re-activate it when I bring the car in. He said it takes about two hours. Of couse, had I known before I picked up the car, I would have had them do it before delivery.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

On the 2009 luxury (base model) the memory settings are saved only to the buttons on the door panel, not the key fobs.

I can see the reasoning. If you borrow your wife's key fob why would you want the seat, mirror and steering wheel to adjust to her settings? A simple push of the door panel button does this and it works with the door open (I think).

Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Red face

Thanks for your input.

What you say makes sense. Actually, misinformed salesmen told me about seat memory, causing me to waste time as everyone scratched their head. I have not been impressed with product knowledge or professionalism of several Jag salesmen. Does not bode well for Jag at least at those dealers.

My peeve is that OK, if Jag decided to not link the keyfob to seat memory, they should have put the memory buttons up where it is convenient to press after one opens the door. I am a tall person- 6'3" and it is awkward to find and press the buttons while standing up, especially when dealing with the seat far forward at my wife's position.

Still upset over the missing cornering lamps. Actually, I was hoping for the active bending type lights. And can't figure out why Jag left out Daytime running lights and front fog lamps. Is it because the light pattern of the Xenon's is wide enough? I have to drive it during an actual fog to decide.

Overall, quite pleased with the drive, ride and performance of the XF and the new engine. Wish Jaguar well in terms of sales growth. Read recently that they were planning to close one factory. I want them to be around for quite some time!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Srichaya, as to the key fob memory, they should have left it the way it was on the S-type so that some, like me, could de-activate it, and others could leave it active.

We have the curve-sensing Xenon headlights on my wife's E-class, and they are the single coolest feature on the car. Whenever I drive that car at night, I like to turn the steering wheel just to see the headlights follow.

Enjoy the XF, it is really cool, especially with the 5.0 engine.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The curve sensing HID's are in an option package coupled with a couple other features. Check Jaguar's site.

The car should have DRL. They are probably not turned on. Go to the dealer and have them turned on. I thought all cars in the US now need DRL by law?

For all the other HID equipped cars I've driven: The highbeams are only HID if you press them away from you so they are always on. You CANNOT Flash with HID's. Hence why when you flick the high beams to flash someone, the halogens turn on. If you want to use high beams for extended periods of time, push the stalk the opposite direction and the lights should tilt up and you have High Beam HID's.

And it sucks about the memory seats. In my bimmer, the radio settings, climate control, seat positions, and mirror positions are all linked to each key.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Only Canada has mandatory DRLs but since all North American cars will have the same spec I am pretty sure the dealer will be able to activate the DRL's for you. We have them in Canada. Fortunately, Jaguar also has DRL rear lights. These are not mandatory which is bizarre. GM is the worst offender for DRL front lights only but many manufacturers just do the minimum. So, we now have many cars running around after dark with ONLY the headlights on as these are the usual DRLs. The driver thinks his lights are on because the headlights are working!

I think DRL's are a dumb idea without scientific proof that they work at all. The negatives are fairly obvious but the positives rely on bad science and intuitive reasoning which is actually wrong.

I prefer cars with headlight switches that can be left "on" and switch on and off automatically with the ignition. For winter I leave the headlight switch permanently on in my SAAB. In summer I use the headlight switch as needed. Who needs DRLs?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 AM

As for CC going off over bumps:

Under power, if the bump is big enough, the traction control may sense a little slip. In that case, CC may turn off so you maintain traction.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Default DRL and related matters

DRL's are not mandatory in the USA. It may be possible activate the headlights to be used as DRLs (if that is how it happens in Canadian XF) by a software update. Not sure if I like the idea of using main headlamps as DRLs anyway. I would like to see LED DRLs, to minimize power consumption.

There are no rear DRLs, as someone above seemed to suggest- but the XF does have a rear fog lamp. It does not have front Fog lamps. Simple explanation is maybe Jags are not to be driven in inclement weather? :-)

The auto headlamp feature works well, and also activates them during daylight when it is raining. The wipers also come on automatically, so that is nice too.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

drls are on almost all new cars today in the us.

my xj you can program them to come on or off, left in auto wth drls activated. once its nightfal the rears will go on also. corollas have this feature also.

my honda civic has drls as well linked to the highbea bulb at 40% capacity. i pulled the fuse to get rd of that.

personally hate drl's, but they do help you see the car from further away.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't like DRLs either nor do I find the best way to warn oncoming traffic . I had DRL disabled in my '96 Fleetwood ('till 95 no DRLs ) due to the fact that system was using regular short beams that would do nothing but shorten the lifespan of the beams .
However, my '03 'lade also came with that .I didn't bother to disable it because in that ride there was more sophisticated DRL that didn't use short beams ,so all seperate unit .
LED DRLs are all new fashion in the automotive industry at least far better than using short beams as DRLs