XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Audio/Stereo problem... No audio ocassionally

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2012 Audio/Stereo problem... No audio ocassionally

I have an 2012 XF and have a problem where I get no sound from my stereo (any media source, Phone, voice command prompts, etc.).

There is a thread on the XJ that describes a similar problem.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-xm-cd-71718/

I tried turning the car off/on, turning the radio off/on, turning bluetooth off/on, switching sources, and everything this else. No luck.

The only thing is that works is keeping the car off for long time and then eventually everything works normal again

This is annoying!!

The same problem was reported here:
XF..Nothing from the radio, backup sensors, touchscreen feedback - JustAnswer

My guess is that it is tied to bluetooth.

Does anyone not use bluetooth and had this happen?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That happened to me once and I let the car sit for about ten minutes and then everything came back to normal. Only thing I can think of is maybe something is grounding out right but I haven't had that my audio oddities in the last three months of ownership.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of phone are you using? Blackberry's are problematic. See my post of similiar problem and dealer response. Good luck, I hope this doesn't continue, very annoying!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by blk-cat
What type of phone are you using? Blackberry's are problematic. See my post of similiar problem and dealer response. Good luck, I hope this doesn't continue, very annoying!
I have a Samsung Galaxy 2.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
I have an 2012 XF and have a problem where I get no sound from my stereo (any media source, Phone, voice command prompts, etc.).

There is a thread on the XJ that describes a similar problem.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-xm-cd-71718/

I tried turning the car off/on, turning the radio off/on, turning bluetooth off/on, switching sources, and everything this else. No luck.

The only thing is that works is keeping the car off for long time and then eventually everything works normal again

This is annoying!!

The same problem was reported here:
XF..Nothing from the radio, backup sensors, touchscreen feedback - JustAnswer

My guess is that it is tied to bluetooth.

Does anyone not use bluetooth and had this happen?
I had a similar issue with my 2012 XFR, however, the only thing that would have sound was the Sirius stations. They dealer performed a software of firmware update, and all is fine with the sound. One problem I do have, is the POI icon button in the service menu is blanked out. I cannot access the POI so they show up on the Nav.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have HD radio and if so is HD radio selected? HD radio will cause the Audio to cut out depending on signal strength. Have the dealership do a network intergrity test and send the SDD session file to Jaguar. Jaguar is going to check the software level in the Audio Module. Although it's probably where it should be. There may be a software fix in the future, but as of now there isn't one.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 AM

OK, it happened to me again and this time I couldn't switch to the regular radio, CD, or my iPhone 4 as an audio source. The only thing that got me out of it was to switch to Sirius via pushing the A/V button. Afterwards, I hit the master power-off next to the Nav buttons and then powered it back on again.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by JGene
OK, it happened to me again and this time I couldn't switch to the regular radio, CD, or my iPhone 4 as an audio source. The only thing that got me out of it was to switch to Sirius via pushing the A/V button. Afterwards, I hit the master power-off next to the Nav buttons and then powered it back on again.
Get to your dealer for an analysis.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM

After being told by the dealer that this was a Blackberry problem, I started to use my wife's iphone 4s and today I got the same thing. No audio at all, radio, nav etc... Back to the dealer I'm out of phones

Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 AM

When it happened to me. I left it for a few hours, then it took ages to reboot before the sound came back. It must be a software clitch or crash like it cant communicate with the amp.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:32 PM

It happened to me again and i took it to the dealer. It was similar in that there was no sound, but the backup screen was displayed while i was driving even when I put it in park.

He thought it wad my phone, but i have not had my Bluetooth on for 2 days.

So they did a software upgrade. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
It happened to me again and i took it to the dealer. It was similar in that there was no sound, but the backup screen was displayed while i was driving even when I put it in park.

He thought it wad my phone, but i have not had my Bluetooth on for 2 days.

So they did a software upgrade. I'm not holding my breath.
OK, I took my car into the dealership this week and they could not replicate the issue. That said I cannot blame them since I haven't seen the issue since I posted earlier. The dealer did guess that maybe it could be Bluetooth related to iOS 5.1.1 and I updated to iOS 6 last week. I'll see what happens.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Same thing happened to me today actually.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Default Same problem

My XF had the same fault when delivered new and then spent a week in the workshop while they fixed it. It has been alright since until about a week ago when I inserted a new CD after which it all went quiet. Thinking on my feet, I wondered if it was something to do with the combination of devices I had connnected at the time (ie phone charging on one USB port and the other with an MP3 player), and perhaps something to do with checking the Gracenote database. I reconnected my phone to the USB port and established a data connection on it, then switched on and voila! problem solved.

However, that could just have been a fluke. It does point at a logic error in the software though.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 AM

I had my car brand new since the 1st September and its happened twice.
I've never connected my phone or used the Bluetooth.
Why don't Jaguar admit the fault and sort it out.
It must be to do with the can bus between the amp and head units or badly written software.
If the amplifier is not communicating it should display an error.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Default Its back

Well after going a few months phone, Nav and Radio all working, it has returned. Doesn't matter how long I shut the car down to let it reboot, audio is not coming back. The thought of having to shut the car down to allow it to reboot should be considered unacceptable for a luxury car that's competing with the Germans. I thought this was a inconvenience a few months ago but its a full on pain in the

Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM

Had the same issue,I finally mentioned this annoyance to dealer and they reprogrammed. Been about two months since and no issues so far. Using with iphone5.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM

A few months back they did another update to my audio system and do far so good.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I managed to replicate the issue myself twice recently. Went to the local dealer, who of course claimed that there is nothing wrong (and nothing to detect). Did not offer any remediation whatsoever. Because I'm unable to replicate the problem directly, they can't solve the problem (because it doesn't exist).

If anyone can point to a tech note or otherwise, it might help - but at this stage, I'm going to have to wait for it to happen again. Like others, I suspect it is tied to using bluetooth for A2DP music streaming WHILST connected directly through a cable (I have an MY12 Premium Luxury, and an iPhone 5).

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just happened again (sigh). Conditions were as follows: have an iPhone 5 and is paired with car. Also plugged in (for charging) to USB port (possibly same port as MY11's 'iPod' port).

Turn on audio, but choose iPhone 5 muswic and then realise that I really wanted direct 'iPod' connection, so switched before music plays.

No sound - initially disappears instantly. Unplug iPhone, plug back in, sound still no go (am driving, so couldn't turn off engine etc). However, Bluetooth is happy to stream, though very fitfully (1 or 2 seconds followed by gap of 2-3 seconds).

Okay, so to resolve this, I unpaired phone, plugged it back in. Okay with direct iPod/USB sound. Indeed, this will resolve the issue 100% of the time.

The only snag is that then my phone is no longer paired/connected. So after 5 minutes of continuous driving, I went to pair the phone again (I was expecting calls). And again, sound went on the direct USB/iPod source, and Bluetooth streaming back to being fitful.

The only solution I found was to stop the car, unpair the phone, turn off the engine, unplug the phone, and start all over.

It's all very frustrating, since it appears to be a software issue: but the dealers where I live are clueless about the whole thing - possibly because there are too few XF owners in the region.

Quick Reply: 2012 Audio/Stereo problem... No audio ocassionally