XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio... weird glitches :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio... weird glitches :/

Hello there !

I got this car recently (bought as used car) and I am faced with some mind boggling glitches that I cannot figure out where they come from - any kind of help will be kindly appreciated!
I was considering myself pretty technically and mechanically inclined... but this car so far proved me how wrong I am (only had it for 2 weeks).

My issues so far (on my first Jaguar ever!):
- The windshield washer fluid low warning is on... the thing is filled to the top
- The glove box opens randomly and after I close it, it gets locked... and no, valet mode is NOT on. I do not have the sensor... is a physical button. When I press it, there is no click or anything. It will start working again in a day or two or if I disconnect and re-connect the battery.
- This morning, the nav screen was completely blank and every couple of seconds was flickering and then blank again. In the afternoon it was working again.

At this point I can only conclude that there is some issue with the electrical system... some weird module... but which one!? All!?

On the other up side, engine and transmission works like a dream (hope I didn't jinxed myself now).

I got a new fresh battery... and for a while that stopped, now everything is back...

Help please ... if is possible.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrNewt
Hello there !

I got this car recently (bought as used car) and I am faced with some mind boggling glitches that I cannot figure out where they come from - any kind of help will be kindly appreciated!
I was considering myself pretty technically and mechanically inclined... but this car so far proved me how wrong I am (only had it for 2 weeks).

My issues so far (on my first Jaguar ever!):
- The windshield washer fluid low warning is on... the thing is filled to the top
- The glove box opens randomly and after I close it, it gets locked... and no, valet mode is NOT on. I do not have the sensor... is a physical button. When I press it, there is no click or anything. It will start working again in a day or two or if I disconnect and re-connect the battery.
- This morning, the nav screen was completely blank and every couple of seconds was flickering and then blank again. In the afternoon it was working again.

At this point I can only conclude that there is some issue with the electrical system... some weird module... but which one!? All!?

On the other up side, engine and transmission works like a dream (hope I didn't jinxed myself now).

I got a new fresh battery... and for a while that stopped, now everything is back...

Help please ... if is possible.
have you had the battery tested since purchase? Get the alternator tested while you're at it.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 3kgtjunkie
have you had the battery tested since purchase? Get the alternator tested while you're at it.
Hi 3kgtjunkie,
Thank you for your rely .

As mentioned, the battery is new and it was tested at the store before purchase - its been on the car for literally a week.
Alternator has been tested as well... not by me. I was told it works as it should, but then again, maybe I should get a second opinion...

Until I get a second opinion on the alternator, assuming is working well, what other thing could give me problems that I have?
Thanks!

Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Hi 3kgtjunkie,
Thank you for your rely .

As mentioned, the battery is new and it was tested at the store before purchase - its been on the car for literally a week.
Alternator has been tested as well... not by me. I was told it works as it should, but then again, maybe I should get a second opinion...

Until I get a second opinion on the alternator, assuming is working well, what other thing could give me problems that I have?
Thanks!
maybe check a fusebox diagram. If the corresponding fuses are all on the same box you may just need a cleaning which is what I am going through currently

The following users liked this post:
mrNewt (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:38 PM

maybe check a fusebox diagram. If the corresponding fuses are all on the same box you may just need a cleaning which is what I am going through currently
That is not a bad idea... I guess the most one prone for the water damage and other debris will be the one in the engine bay.
I'll give it a look over the weekend and see in what shape it is.

- - - - -

Two additional questions if anyone knows... since this is a new car to me and I don't know yet how Jag is doing things:
  • Is there like a dip-stick... or any other way (since I cannot locate one in the car), where I can actually physically check the quality of the oil and not just the level? The person I got it from said they changed the oil, but after the mishaps I encountered, I'm starting to doubt them a lot... I'd rather check and see and not be sorry later.
  • Where are all the grounding points of this car with a V8 in the bay? I would like to get to check those as well for rust and whatever else...
Thanks!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 PM

I don't see an edit post so I guess I will double post - sorry if I break any rules...

For cleaning the fuse box, for this car, will it be OK if I would use something like an electronic contact cleaner?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Think you likely have a few faults here.

1) The washer fluid low most likely means the sensor in the tank is faulty. It's a little reed switch and magnet and they are known to fail. Cheap and easy replacement. Sensor is about $45 from dealer or eBay - common across many jag models. You have to get to underside of the reservoir take off old one (all the washer fluid will pour out!) and fit new one. Think you get to it through wheel arch but check in workshop manual which if you don't have you can easily find by searching here on forum

2) does the glove box open randomly? Or is it when you run the screen washers? There is a know issue that water runs from washer pump into central junction box and can cause that. See this article. Perhaps that's your problem?
https://www.jaginfo.org/archive/index.php/t-68602.html

3) screen flashing issue is typically a bad module. First to check are Bluetooth and sirius under the passenger floor as they can get wet and rusty. Lots of posts on this. Also someone posted how to use a short length of fibre to cut across each module in turn to see which is causing an issue. But hard to do on an intermittent fault so you might have to live with that one if it's rare. Pull the fault codes with a code reader and se what comes up

mrNewt (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Think you likely have a few faults here.

1) The washer fluid low most likely means the sensor in the tank is faulty. It's a little reed switch and magnet and they are known to fail. Cheap and easy replacement. Sensor is about $45 from dealer or eBay - common across many jag models. You have to get to underside of the reservoir take off old one (all the washer fluid will pour out!) and fit new one. Think you get to it through wheel arch but check in workshop manual which if you don't have you can easily find by searching here on forum

2) does the glove box open randomly? Or is it when you run the screen washers? There is a know issue that water runs from washer pump into central junction box and can cause that. See this article. Perhaps that's your problem?
https://www.jaginfo.org/archive/index.php/t-68602.html

3) screen flashing issue is typically a bad module. First to check are Bluetooth and sirius under the passenger floor as they can get wet and rusty. Lots of posts on this. Also someone posted how to use a short length of fibre to cut across each module in turn to see which is causing an issue. But hard to do on an intermittent fault so you might have to live with that one if it's rare. Pull the fault codes with a code reader and se what comes up
Hi BritCars,

Thank you for chiming in!
To answer your questions...

1 - If that is the case, I can live with it for a while, while winter goes away. I don't feel like playing with water on this cold for now.
You are right, the way you access the windshield washer bottle is trough the passenger (left hand side drive) wheel arch. I think I have seen a tutorial on YouTube... when originally I started having these issues. I thought the same, faulty sensor, but then all the other things pilled up and made me think that maybe something else is wrong that triggers it.

2 - Yes, this is completely random from what I can tell - I even walked to the car to find it open without me doing anything.
And when this happens, it will also automatically lock the glove box once I close it. The only remedy seems to leave it over-night and usually in the morning I can open it without issues... weird as hell.

Firts time it happened I was fiddling with the Nav, getting familiar with the options... I actually thought I might of press some button there that could activate it - I know now that this kitty is temperamental .
But since I plan to look into the fuse box this weekend, maybe I can figure out if is the issue you are talking about.

3 - That only happened once so far... but I will start looking into those modules and get one as soon as I can, just in case.

Anyway, looks like this kitty was in desperate need of some love, hopefully I can tame her back soon.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-17-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Well, as an update, the screen is off again so I end up placing an order for the Bluetooth unit. Found a new one that was recommended for my model - part C2Z18541 (AX23 10F845 AA).
Let's hope that will fix it :/

---

@NBCat - not to butt in Andy's thread again, I am calling you here .
I managed to connect the Torque pro to show me the Voltage trough the OD connector. As you were mentioning, the number is higher, as per image below. Based on your experience, at a glance, you think this might be in the ball park?
Thanks!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM

Does anyone have an idea how I remove this fuse box for cleaning and checking the wiring under it to see how the windshield washer water gets to them?
I unscrewed the screw/nut and removed the clips, but it feels like something is holding it down... is the wires or is there another screw/nut holding it from under?

Also, do these stickers mean anything... if yes... what!? .
Cus they say is waterproof... whatever that means...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-21-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Suggest you refocus on the passenger footwell fuse box by checking if the windshield washer bottle is leaking into there. This is a known problem that has gone as far as setting a car on fire, have a read

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=95802
https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...d-Xenon-faults

mrNewt (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Suggest you refocus on the passenger footwell fuse box by checking if the windshield washer bottle is leaking into there. This is a known problem that has gone as far as setting a car on fire, have a read

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=95802
https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...d-Xenon-faults
Thank you for those links!
That thread pretty much talked about my issues :|... I think you just showed me the light.

Too bad this is a TSB and not a factory recall...should of been a recall .
Ummmm... how the hell do I fix this!? :/ ...
Are newer pumps build properly? Damn... this should be interesting to fix.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Anyone knows if the washer pump for the XF (C2Z30987) is the same as the washer pump for the F-150 (8C3Z-17664-A)?
These things looks awfully similar in the pictures at least... same type of connector too. The only difference seems to be the $$; more for XF (around $232CAD with tax and shipping VS $50CAD with tax and shipping)...

I'll take the dive for the Jag part but, that price is rather inflated for a simple washer pump ...

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-22-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hoping you get this car working perfectly because then you will love it. For some other tips not related to your main issues please read further.

Oil: Make sure your using good oil I would recommend changing the oil. The manual says to use jaguar Castro’s co developed oil Castro’s Edge Professional...which you can only get at the dealership. I know other jag owners who use other oils which they are comfortable with . Check the forums when you get time to search other posts on what’s oils other people swear by. I’m using the jaguar dealership one in mine.

Battey: recommend using an AGM battery. Mine is by interstate and is jaguar approved replacement battery. Due to many electrical sensitive items in the car (as you may already experience) having the right battery will save you from many electrical problems down the road.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by hen555
Hoping you get this car working perfectly because then you will love it. For some other tips not related to your main issues please read further.

Oil: Make sure your using good oil I would recommend changing the oil. The manual says to use jaguar Castro’s co developed oil Castro’s Edge Professional...which you can only get at the dealership. I know other jag owners who use other oils which they are comfortable with . Check the forums when you get time to search other posts on what’s oils other people swear by. I’m using the jaguar dealership one in mine.

Battey: recommend using an AGM battery. Mine is by interstate and is jaguar approved replacement battery. Due to many electrical sensitive items in the car (as you may already experience) having the right battery will save you from many electrical problems down the road.
Hi hen555,

Thanks for taking the time and giving some pointers.
To be honest with you, I am already in love with the car ... and that's the only reason I go trough the trouble of trying to take care of it.

I am planning to change the oil on the car this weekend even though I had it for about 3 weeks only and the people that sold it to me told me they did change the oil... I lost my trust in them since they obviously forgot to mention a few things .
Well, in the end I was the sucker for not doing my homework properly. But in the end will all be for the better (I hope).
Thanks for mentioning Castrol, I was thinking of something among those lines.

The new battery is an AGM battery that is recommended for this car. The one that I have is from MotoMaster. No issues so far since it has been replaced.

I have a new washer pump on order and should receive it soon, as the Bluetooth module.
My only hope is to make sure that at least the engine and transmission is in decent condition; she is high on "miles", just slightly about 180000km (which so far seems to be OK).

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-25-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM

Hi hen555,

Thanks for taking the time and giving some pointers.
To be honest with you, I am already in love with the car ... and that's the only reason I go trough the trouble of trying to take care of it.

I am planning to change the oil on the car this weekend even though I had it for about 3 weeks only and the people that sold it to me told me they did change the oil... I lost my trust in them since they obviously forgot to mention a few things .
Well, in the end I was the sucker for not doing my homework properly. But in the end will all be for the better (I hope).
Thanks for mentioning Castrol, I was thinking of something among those lines.

The new battery is an AGM battery that is recommended for this car. The one that I have is from MotoMaster. No issues so far since it has been replaced.

I have a new washer pump on order and should receive it soon, as the Bluetooth module.
My only hope is to make sure that at least the engine and transmission is in decent condition; she is high on "miles", just slightly about 180000km (which so far seems to be OK).
your issues all stopped with the AGM battery?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:58 AM

your issues all stopped with the AGM battery?
Nope... my "glitches" stopped as soon as I stopped using the windshield washer.
As soon as I read @litteredwithfaults comment and the forum threads he linked to, I stopped using the windshield washer just to see if my symptoms will go away... and they did.
Double checked the fuse on the passenger's side (left hand drive car) and I need to do some cleaning - I am waiting for the pump that I already ordered before cleaning it and do the whole thing together.
I just stopped using the washer and manually wipe the windshield until then ( kind of a pain with the weather in Canada :/ ).

The screen stopped flickering as soon as I disconnected the Bluetooth on my phone. And as such I have a new module already ordered and waiting for it to arrive.
Hopefully once I install that as well, the phone will be back to normal.

I was planning to add some pictures and follow up after I implement the fixes, that's why I haven't mentioned anything - didn't wanted to give false hopes for people that are passing by, reading these forums.

And as soon as I am done tackling these things, I will follow up with a few other things (something to do with the side mirrors when reversing and the odd functionality of the wipers when used in intermittent mode).
But one thing at a time . Looks like these forums are stuck with me for a while - I doubt this car was taken care of properly and she is in need of some tender love.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Check oil level.

That is not a bad idea... I guess the most one prone for the water damage and other debris will be the one in the engine bay.
I'll give it a look over the weekend and see in what shape it is.

- - - - -

Two additional questions if anyone knows... since this is a new car to me and I don't know yet how Jag is doing things:
  • Is there like a dip-stick... or any other way (since I cannot locate one in the car), where I can actually physically check the quality of the oil and not just the level? The person I got it from said they changed the oil, but after the mishaps I encountered, I'm starting to doubt them a lot... I'd rather check and see and not be sorry later.
  • Where are all the grounding points of this car with a V8 in the bay? I would like to get to check those as well for rust and whatever else...
Thanks!
I think most of your questions have been answered except for oil level checking. There is no dipstick on the 5.0 and some others; checking is done from the left hand stalk with ignition on, but engine not running, the car on a level surface. Jaguar say the engine should be warm, but allowed to stand for ten minutes after turning it off. Checking from cold also works, giving a slightly lower reading. Press the end of the stalk to scroll through the bar display (normally showing fuel level), until it displays the level via the bar, and a message such as "Oil level ok", "Add one quart", "Refer to handbook". The last message may indicate too high a level.
The handbook expains it more clearly with a couple of pictures. If you don't have one, pm me an email address and I'll scan the relevant page(s) to you.
If you wish to check the oil condition, remove the filler and extract a small quantity with a syringe attached to the tube which will now be visible.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Etypephil
I think most of your questions have been answered except for oil level checking. There is no dipstick on the 5.0 and some others; checking is done from the left hand stalk with ignition on, but engine not running, the car on a level surface. Jaguar say the engine should be warm, but allowed to stand for ten minutes after turning it off. Checking from cold also works, giving a slightly lower reading. Press the end of the stalk to scroll through the bar display (normally showing fuel level), until it displays the level via the bar, and a message such as "Oil level ok", "Add one quart", "Refer to handbook". The last message may indicate too high a level.
The handbook expains it more clearly with a couple of pictures. If you don't have one, pm me an email address and I'll scan the relevant page(s) to you.
If you wish to check the oil condition, remove the filler and extract a small quantity with a syringe attached to the tube which will now be visible.
Thank you for chiming in on this! .
I have read the book and I knew about the checking the level using the stalk... my gripe with this car is that there is no way to actually check the quality of the oil (I don't understand companies that do this to their car... such a useful feature in maintaining your car).

I wasn't sure if is OK to remove the filter, since I am not sure if the oil drains from the filter into the engine while the engine is off... and since is on top of the engine, I did not wanted to have the oil pouring out of it .

Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you for chiming in on this! .
I have read the book and I knew about the checking the level using the stalk... my gripe with this car is that there is no way to actually check the quality of the oil (I don't understand companies that do this to their car... such a useful feature in maintaining your car).

I wasn't sure if is OK to remove the filter, since I am not sure if the oil drains from the filter into the engine while the engine is off... and since is on top of the engine, I did not wanted to have the oil pouring out of it .
Yes, that's really annoying; there's nothing like actually seeing the oil and feeling it, plus there is less to go wrong with a real dipstick than an electronic one.

The filler (cap), not the filter. :-) There is a small tube under there which can be used to draw oil off.

Quick Reply: 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio... weird glitches :/