XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Car won’t start even after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won’t start even after battery change

I have a 2010 Jaguar XF. A couple of days ago, my husband was running an errand, when he tried to start the car to leave the radio came on; but the vents did not open nor did the start/stop button flash...like it was recognizing the key fobb. I went meet him about 45 minutes later, radio still on, & car still would not start even with my key fobb. I disconnected then reconnected the battery & nothing happened. No lights on or anything, the seat will move only 1 inch at a time. I changed the battery out to be on the safe side & still nothing. No lights on dash, no radio, nothing. I had to get the car towed & it will not go into neutral, even pulled on the red cord & the car will not move. An electrical update was performed by the dealership on a Friday & this happened on a Wednesday...does someone have an idea what could be happening? My dealership is 2 hours away & would like to figure out something prior to towing her there.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Could be many things. And if you just had an 'electrical update' whatever that is, then maybe related to that. Do you have access to a code reader? Have the codes pulled and post them up here - hopefully that will give us some more info

Old 07-22-2018, 12:43 AM

I am going to see if my regular mechanic can pull codes. He said he may not be able to because nothing was coming on in the vehicle.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry about your problem. Have you checked the cables? I had to have the positive battery cable replaced because I was getting low voltage messages.

Keep us informed.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I just signed up for AAA & I have to wait 7 days until my coverage kicks in to get her to the dealership without any extra out of pocket costs. I will check the battery connections. But do you have any idea why she would not come out of neutral, even after I pulled on the cord located within the compartment behind the emergency brake?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I would LOVE to know if there are XF owners out there who are not experiencing or have not experienced a LOT of weird electrical stuff with this model. Or non electrical stuff. I recently purchased a 2009 XF and less than 3 months into it, the battery was drained, I changed the battery...and lost all communication with the keyfob to the car. $4,500 later I had purchased a new computer,new instrument cluster, new fuse box and still the dealer was unable to establish communication to the docking port. Now the car alarm goes off whenever it wants to while parked at work and shuts itself off after a few minutes of disturbing the peace.
The car is beautiful and fun to drive, but probably the dumbest purchase decision i have made In 50 years of owning cars.
I am tremendously afraid of this car and thinking of naming it "Christine"

Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear this, my only guess is that is there is an fault with the electrics on the gearbox/transmission shift...Don't know much more about it. Sounds like updating it along with a new battery could have affected it somehow. I'm sure the dealer will be able to see what's going on, and hopefully not too expensive a fix.

Jakesdad, painful to hear you've had to go thru all those repairs. Had a 2011 since January 2014 and honestly don't think I've spent 4500 in total in repairs since then. Just a flickering NAV screen nothing else. Hate to say this but sounds as if you might have got more a of lemon, or I was particularly lucky. Not sure which. If im being a cynic, I might think they may have been selling the 09 recently as they were aware of growing problems. Nevertheless that sounds irritating, to be honest I wouldn't own a car I was afraid of - Christine would be on her way!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesdad
I would LOVE to know if there are XF owners out there who are not experiencing or have not experienced a LOT of weird electrical stuff with this model. Or non electrical stuff. I recently purchased a 2009 XF and less than 3 months into it, the battery was drained, I changed the battery...and lost all communication with the keyfob to the car. $4,500 later I had purchased a new computer,new instrument cluster, new fuse box and still the dealer was unable to establish communication to the docking port. Now the car alarm goes off whenever it wants to while parked at work and shuts itself off after a few minutes of disturbing the peace.
The car is beautiful and fun to drive, but probably the dumbest purchase decision i have made In 50 years of owning cars.
I am tremendously afraid of this car and thinking of naming it "Christine"
I've had my 2010 for years and not experienced weird electrical problems. The occasional niggle but with care you can track down and resolve the issues. Sounds like your alarm system is triggering and ran the battery flat. So you need to fix the root cause or it might do it again
Pull the codes and it will tell you what triggered the last 10 alarms. My money would be on a faulty hood/bonnet sensor. The little micro switch can fail. If so you can buy the hood latch part on eBay which has the sensor (maybe 30-40 dollars) and it's a 5 minute job to unscrew and replace
Could also be a faulty door lock actuator but I don't think that would trigger the alarm - more likely to cause issues in locking and unlocking