XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2014 XF 3.0 sc AWD coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 XF 3.0 sc AWD coolant smell

I really appreciate the help you guys have been giving me lately with my new purchase. I'm back to ask for more advice. The car has been being worked on for a solid week (right after I purchased of course). They replaced quite a few things including the water pump. The day I got to drive it (the first day) the coolant level was low (hence the return for service), and I smelled the distinct odor of coolant. Well now that the work is complete I finally got the car back today. I drove it for half an hour to 45 minutes on my way home. When I got out I can still smell the coolant (kind of like it's burning). Could that be the residual coolant on the engine still burning off (because they didn't actually clean the engine bay)? Or could I still have a leak somewhere? The coolant level has remained solid (for the short time I've had it) but it smells strong. The shop did do a very thorough job, as every time they thought it was done they found another little thing that needed replacement. But I am near certain they didn't clean it. So my main question besides what I've asked, is how long before the smell will go away? I mean it can't take that long for spilled coolant to burn off can it? All said and done they did near $4000 worth of work, I'll put a list up as soon as I have it. And it didn't cost me anything because the dealership paid for it all so I wouldn't cancel the sale. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 PM

Also just how do I go about cleaning the engine bay to get rid of the smell ? I know it's a very simple thing for some of you guy's but it's new to me.

On the other hand I own a custom leather shop and I've been doing it for about 15 years so if anyone has any questions about leather or custom leather items please let me know and I would be more than happy to answer as best I can. We leatherworkers are a small bunch so if I can't help you then I'm sure I can at least locate someone who can help you that may be nearer to you. Thanks -Philippe

Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

Coolant residue can take a few heat cycles to burn off if not cleaned well after service.

But if it is still smelly 2 days after the work, I would take it back.

Watch the coolant reservoir closely, take a black marker and put a tick mark where the water line is and check it often. Any loss, I would report it to the dealer since we don't have temp gauges.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by philmug
Also just how do I go about cleaning the engine bay to get rid of the smell ? I know it's a very simple thing for some of you guy's but it's new to me.

On the other hand I own a custom leather shop and I've been doing it for about 15 years so if anyone has any questions about leather or custom leather items please let me know and I would be more than happy to answer as best I can. We leatherworkers are a small bunch so if I can't help you then I'm sure I can at least locate someone who can help you that may be nearer to you. Thanks -Philippe
An interesting offer. Search the XF forum for all the posts about bubbling leather dash. There are a lot of them. What's your experience guidance - lots of people on here would value it. How best to repair once it starts to bubble?

The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
An interesting offer. Search the XF forum for all the posts about bubbling leather dash. There are a lot of them. What's your experience guidance - lots of people on here would value it. How best to repair once it starts to bubble?
I would love information on this as I'll need to tackle this job at some point.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM

I haven't specifically done this on a Jaguar before. But I have on a 1970's dash in a Chrysler (?). The leather in the Jags (and most cars now) are covered in a thin layer of vinyl coating. I understand why it's done, but it's not the best to "fix" once it needs something. The repair I did in the other car was steaming the leather and then I made a tiny hole with a needle and injected super glue (only thing thin enough to work). Then I massaged the hole closed. I'm not sure it would work with vinyl covered leather though. To prevent it from happening is usually a matter of oiling, but oil doesn't penetrate this type of leather. The leather dries out which causes curling and a very slight bit of shrinkage. The key is to keep the leather relatively moist. As far as repairing it if it's already started then unfortunately it needs to be taken off cleaned and reapplied and stapled. That would be the proper way of doing it. It's not hard to diy that, just a bit of a time investment. If you do decide to go to a shop to have it done then I would suggest having it replaced with an oil tanned full grain leather. After that it would only be a matter of reapplying oil every 6 to 8 months.

Thanks everyone for the responses on my questions as well!!