XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0 S/C Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by mrNewt
Wait... What!?

Are you saying that the V6 is actually a V8 block with 2 holes plugged?

Yep.
Not "plugged" as such, it's a different block casting but it is essentially the same block as the V8, exact same size externally but with two fewer cylinders.
Also both the bore and stroke are smaller than the V8 and the SC is smaller, but pretty much everything else is carried over from the V8.

The following users liked this post:
mrNewt (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep.
Not "plugged" as such, it's a different block casting but it is essentially the same block as the V8, exact same size externally but with two fewer cylinders.
Also both the bore and stroke are smaller than the V8 and the SC is smaller, but pretty much everything else is carried over from the V8.
Thank you for the explanation - learned something new today.
Puzzling though... but I guess not quite entirely surprized, considering their history.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:04 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Puzzling though...

Ha, anybody remember when GM needed an engine for their mid-sized cars in the early 60s, after the aluminum V8 proved unreliable (anybody also remember that they sold that engine to BMC where it was used in Rovers, etc. until the late '90s), and they cut two cylinders off the ~350 CI V8 to make the 215 CU V6?
Vibrated like a paint mixer. Lasted until 2015 as the Series III 3.8l Buick motor.
That motor was used in the Buick Grand National and GNX, was offered in both turbo and supercharged forms, and at one point made ~400hp
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)

Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Here's a vid showing the gauges working, and their rough mounting position on the dash, though obviously the angle would change slightly once the gauge pod is smoothed into the dash top and sits at the same profile - currently the bottom of the gauges are pushing the cluster up away from the dash.

Hopefully there won't be too many clearance issues with the gauges - there's a chance it could interfere with HVAC tubing in the dash but I'm pretty ok with modifying these if neessary. There's something broken in that area that's causing an (occasional) awful rattle on idle so I need to get in there anyway to fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbRb-FsvirA

The gauges were custom-made by New Vintage USA, with silver paint and font similar to the existing instrument panel, and a blue backlight - the color of the blue is very slightly off compared to the rest of the dash illumination but not enough that I think I want to go messing with them just yet. Even with small (unchangeable) differences like the gauge needles being red, I still think with matched font styles etc they were worth the money.

I'll try and get some driving shots of them later.
Hi
I am in a similar situation to take out the engine for a rebuild and I had exactly same idea to instal a pressure gauge. Mine is 3.0 TD and spun one rod bearing. I need torque settings or engine assembly procedure for 3.0DT before I feel confident enough to take the crank out. Was wondering if you know torque settings for my engine or when I can get it from.

Many Thanks

Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry for the confusion - to clarify:

It's only when you look at the wiring diagrams that it becomes clear that the oil pressure switch was only fitted to the 3.0 engines, not the 5.0, and since they share a block design (kinda) both these engines have a 1/2" threaded port that tees directly off the high-pressure oil feed from the pump - on the 5.0 engine this is fitted with a threaded plug from the factory (early ones had insufficient sealing resulting in oil leaks, this is discussed in a Land Rover TSB early on in this thread). I haven't seen one, but I assume the 3.0 engine uses this port to fit the oil pressure sensor.

I also have to assume that the reason they don't fit the sensor on the 5.0 is because the threaded port is very close to the passenger side exhaust manifold, and maybe they saw reliability issues with heat damage? The 3.0 v6 doesn't use the rear cylinders of the v8 so presumably there's a larger gap between the manifold and the threaded hole.

On my engine, I removed the threaded plug and used a series of adapters with a -4AN braided hose to locate the oil pressure sensor away from the engine.

Watch this space!
Good to see that the 3.0 has a pressure sensor. I was confused as h3!! as to why these engines would not have one.

I did the same thing with braided hoses on my Saab when I rebuilt my engine. The sensors would tend to leak and were in such an awkward place people would rather refill oil and deal with the smell than pull the starter and downpipe

Old 08-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Update: drove car to Vegas and back for a conference - it didn't miss a beat there and back. The engine oil temp got a little hotter when going up long hills in 105 degree heat, but nothing unexpected and all in all I couldn't be happier.

Also, the engine has now done 2,200 miles since the rebuild, so I decided my self-imposed break-in period had passed and that it was about time I gave it the beans properly, and I'm pleased to report it pulls like a ****ing train and sounds amazing. Temperatures and pressures all where they should be.

So far so good!

The following 7 users liked this post by davetibbs:
beulahjag (10-18-2019), f-driver (08-13-2019), George05 (10-13-2019), Jag#4 (08-13-2019), TXFireblade (08-13-2019), UnionLabor (10-14-2019), XJ8JR (08-14-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried finding that kind of information but it was pretty much impossible. ARP's technical support were not really willing to give any kind of a torque figure based on a torque + angle measurement of the original bolt as they'd need a few OEM originals to perform tests on which I'd imagine don't come at all cheap.

I guess one thing I can do is refit the mains using the old OEM bolts torqued to OEM spec and measure the out-of-round again to see if it differs - you're not supposed to use them again but I suspect they won't snap. Personally, I think the affects on the stiffness of the crankcase are likely to be immeasurably small and therefore I'm less concerned about that, but good to cover all these bases.

The biggest issue at the moment is that the 5.0 workshop manual has general information of how to check bore sizes, but doesn't list the out-of-round tolerance spec.
I too can't find the specs in the workshop manual. What are the main & con rod bearing torque specs???

Old 09-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GemelRover
I too can't find the specs in the workshop manual. What are the main & con rod bearing torque specs???
Specs attached - check the bottom of the "Torque Specification" table.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Specifications.pdf (46.5 KB, 184 views)
The following users liked this post:
GemelRover (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep.
Wonder if you can over-bore the V6 and fit V8 pistons. (3l to 3.75l) Is the stroke difference from the crank geometry or from rods length/piston design? I wonder if that would all make a difference

Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Wonder if you can over-bore the V6 and fit V8 pistons. (3l to 3.75l) Is the stroke difference from the crank geometry or from rods length/piston design? I wonder if that would all make a difference
FM FType17 has stroked and/or bored out a V6 to 3.4 litres and he would be able to answer you questions much better than I, check out this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-Type+Predator

Old 10-13-2019, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

Great write up Dave , Got to say your a brave man hats off to you

Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Hi Dave, So after my engine rebuild I too have timing/restricted performance issues with what is suspected to be a phaser (though I bought all 4 new from Atlantic British and they were well packed when delivered). Have you had any luck analyzing the cause of the phasers failing? I yet have to learn how to ID the phaser causing the problems.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave, So after my engine rebuild I too have timing/restricted performance issues with what is suspected to be a phaser (though I bought all 4 new from Atlantic British and they were well packed when delivered). Have you had any luck analyzing the cause of the phasers failing? I yet have to learn how to ID the phaser causing the problems.
I think this is problem with timing tensioner. I had problem with restricted performance after rebulid. I replacement 2x phaser and timing tensioner. after the replacement I looked through the phaser and found no damage. check the timing chain for looseness. 99% will have slack. these cars had a defect tensioner. replacing the phaser alone may not help. it is worth cleaning the strainers in camshaft and head fights. they can be care.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:45 PM

I did replace the tensioners during rebuild and the car ran well for 50 miles. There are three inconsistent methods described in the manuals related to the mothod of installing tensioners. One manual states to simply pull the pin. Another states you need to pull pin, extend and press shaft back, replace pin. Another is to pull the pin and apply force on chain guide.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 PM

pull the pin and apply force on chain guide- this is correct. Chain must be stiff. If You have new 4x phaser i think you have clogged oil channel in camshafts or tensioner. If You engine is after rod bearings damage this is very propably. dirt circled in the oil system and after 50 miles it clogged the oil canal. You must look stiff chain and look holes in camshaft( oil phaser supply) and You have Strainer in camshaft. You have holes under tensioner also. Check it.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:47 PM

The phaser oil strainers are new. All passageways and jets were meticulously cleaned during assembly. After assembly and starting the car, I dumped the first batch of oil after allowing it to idle for an hour. I have heard from a number of sources including LR, that it is not uncommon to have defective phasers out-of the box from the dealership itself.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Pull the pin and apply force on the chain guide - when Jaguar state that you need to apply "considerable force" they are not f**king around. Think crowbar-levels of force. The "click" isn't as audible as the workshop manual makes out but you'll know you've got it as you won't be able to push the guide back against the tensioner.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:15 AM

The phaser oil strainers are new. All passageways and jets were meticulously cleaned during assembly. After assembly and starting the car, I dumped the first batch of oil after allowing it to idle for an hour. I have heard from a number of sources including LR, that it is not uncommon to have defective phasers out-of the box from the dealership itself.
In this case, you need to remove the timing cover most importantly first check the marks and tension of the chain (must be stiff and bend slightly under the finger) on the head from which the tester shows an error. if it's ok you have to return the faulty phaser. I have repaired a lot of 5.0 and 3.0 engines and only once had a problem with phaser. I have described this case above.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 AM

I am still trying to figure which (if any) of the VCT units would be faulty before taking the engine apart the fourth time. Actual variable timing readings on scanner look normal but I am no expert in interpreting the values. The engine idle sound is great. Once it's running, sounds like it's made of lego gears. The VCT units change the position of the camshafts in relation to the timing chains. I did not apply the "considerable force" to the chain guides after pulling pin during install. What does that force do? To be clear, is it to ensure the tensioner has set itself to the maximum extension? Do you apply force to guide away from tensioner so to maximize the shaft extent? I wonder, why would one manual state to pull pin and another to apply force.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 AM

I am still trying to figure which (if any) of the VCT units would be faulty before taking the engine apart the fourth time. Actual variable timing readings on scanner look normal but I am no expert in interpreting the values. The engine idle sound is great. Once it's running, sounds like it's made of lego gears. The VCT units change the position of the camshafts in relation to the timing chains. I did not apply the "considerable force" to the chain guides after pulling pin during install. What does that force do? To be clear, is it to ensure the tensioner has set itself to the maximum extension? Do you apply force to guide away from tensioner so to maximize the shaft extent? I wonder, why would one manual state to pull pin and another to apply force.
"I am still trying to figure which (if any) of the VCT units would be faulty before taking the engine apart the fourth time." give all malfunction code, coorelation?
If engine work great maybe problem is in other place. give codes.
tensioner have a few locking position. Add force to catch it on the last click possible. This ensures that the chain is properly tensioned. The tensioner may lose elasticity or oil may escape and the chain will be loose during operation. an additional click prevents this. if you helped the tensioner catch an extra click and the timing is 100% well set to the characters, everything should be fine. Enter all the codes you receive. I think you have problem on one bank. you can change solenoids and cam pos. sensor by side and look on tester whether the error code will change.
after this procedure need next click on tensioner. Easy way is loose one bolts after pin remove.

Quick Reply: 5.0 S/C Engine Rebuild