XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I crazy?

I've had a 2010 XFR for the last few years and have absolutely loved that car. I still smile when I see it in a parking lot or get ready to drive it.

I was in the shop getting the windshield replaced after the window tint guys broke it and I was looking at the new x260. I actually really like it, but was commenting that I won't buy one until there is a V8.

The sales guy took this as an opportunity to tell me they had a 2012 XF supercharged hit the lot with only 16k miles. Looks like I can pick it up for a steal and they are certifying it for 6 year/100k miles and Jaguar is running a crazy financing deal right now.

Beyond looks and an ECU tune, is there really that much difference between a 2010 XFR and a 2012 Supercharged? Feature wise, it looks like I'm losing 40 HP, and adaptive cruise. Am I crazy to consider this? I'd likely perform an ECU tune, add the TCP intake and work on the exhaust. What are the downsides?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

NO..Go for it..It is more refined, up to date and fewer miles and problems with warranty..You won't notice the HP difference me thinks...No brainer

Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Differences:
Seats (Big difference to me but I'm a big guy)
Front Fascia Iess aggressive (Not as pronounced after facelift)
No side skirts
No hood vents
No rear trunk spoiler (I believe, not positive though)
Smaller brakes
No Exhaust valves (even quieter)
No R badges

Take your car and park it next to the one you are looking at. Determine if these features mean anything to you, and if not, go for it.

Make sure you know what you can truly get for your XFR first through either private party or trade. That way you don't get your mind working that direction and then make a bad financial decision.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Differences:
Seats (Big difference to me but I'm a big guy)
Front Fascia Iess aggressive (Not as pronounced after facelift)
No side skirts
No hood vents
No rear trunk spoiler (I believe, not positive though)
Smaller brakes
No Exhaust valves (even quieter)
No R badges

Take your car and park it next to the one you are looking at. Determine if these features mean anything to you, and if not, go for it.

Make sure you know what you can truly get for your XFR first through either private party or trade. That way you don't get your mind working that direction and then make a bad financial decision.
Couple of clarifying points I've discovered through my own research on this:

1. Brakes are the same between the 2012 S/C and XFR. At least part number wise.
2. The 2012 S/Cs have the hood vents.
3. This car has the sport seats as the option, so same as the XFR.
4. The logical/financial components all work out in my favor on this deal.

So, outside of a "body kit", what else am I missing? Anyone been through this?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

The only other things I can recall are the B&W stereo, rear blind and the folding rear seats which I believe were options on the S/C and standard on the XFR. I have a 2012 S/C and it came with the sports seats, big stereo, piano black trim, fancy headlining. The only things not optioned were adaptive cruise, headed windshield, folding rear seats and the sun blind in the back. I retrofitted the folding seats and wasn't interested in the other options.

As you say, brakes, adaptive suspension, exhaust are all the same, just a different tune.

So aside from the 40 horses and a body kit/badges they seem to be the same. I've never been a fan of the spoiler and sticker look but everyone is different. I'd rather go unnoticed - as best one can in a Jaguar.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You are not crazy......go for it !!...IMO...newer ..low miles....price is right...etc...

Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

My apologies for the misinformation. Not as familiar with the facelift updates.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As an owner of an XF 5.0 Supercharged, the 470 HP one, and having driven the XFR and my Supercharged one on the same day just minutes apart, I can tell you that yes, you might notice the difference in HP if you go straight from one to the other, but the difference is very slight.

Had I gone from one to the other with a couple days in between the two I don't think I would have noticed it at all.

With that few miles, the warranty and getting the facelift version it seems to me that you absolutely should go for the 2012 one!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Sounds like a great opportunity. If it were me, the question I'd be asking is how much in total dollars will it cost me to make the switch - and decide if that's worth it. I'm guessing there is at least a 10k price difference between the two. Given you can buy the extended warranty for 2-3k that's a lot of price difference for what I would say ends up being a similar car. A bit newer / fresher but less power and without the body kit, adaptive cruise etc.

That said, if you are interested in the upgrade to the revised model it could be a good opportunity