XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Audio Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Systems

Hi I'm looking at buying an 2012 XF with the 825 Meridian Audio System. Does anyone know how this system compares quality wise to the 325 watt system which I think might also be in the XFs that don't have the portfolio package? Thanks a lot.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm guessing it sounds better? More watts and more speakers typically equals better sound.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The Meridian systems were only available from 2013 model year.

2013MY onward
380W Meridan, 11-speaker
825W Meridian Surround, 17-speaker

2012MY
600W Jaguar "Premium", 11-speaker
1200W Bowers & Wilkins Surround, 14-speaker

Up to 2011MY
320W Jaguar "Premium", 9-speaker
440W Bowers & Wilkins Surround, 14-speaker

The extra 3x speakers of the Meridian Surround over the Bowers & Wilkins is because the surround speakers are a dual-cone with tweeter and midbass in the one assembly.

Bowers & Wilkins are with the yellow-colour speaker cones. The Meridian are black.

The 1200W B&W and the 825W Meridian use the same amplifier as it turns out.

As for which one is better? I've heard people say they prefer the Meridian, others say the prefer the B&W...

Old 08-05-2016, 03:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the 380 Meridan system fitted to mine. It's a beautiful bit of kit and the sound is superb for music.

Not sure why people would want a surround system in a car? More suited for video rather than audio. Never heard one, so it might be good with music too. Louder for sure ... but whether it is better quality is debatable. Suppose it depends on your hearing to a large degree.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I've heard both the 380W and 825W in XFs and the Meridian and B&W surround systems in XJs. IMO the XF sounds incredible audio-wise, much better than the XJ with the same system. I wanted the Meridian surround sound system after hearing it and would have paid $1k more for a vehicle with it. I ended up finding one with every other option I wanted except the surround sound and pulled the trigger.

Like was already said, a 2012 will have the B&W systems so I'm not sure what you are really looking at buying. I prefer the sound out of the Meridians but this is all very subjective so you will have to listen for yourself. Be aware, the great quality has made me switch to usb drive music and sometimes streaming from my phone as radio stations without HD don't sound so great in this car.

In summary (my opinion):
Meridian Surround = Amazing
Meridian Standard = Very Good
B&W Surround = Pretty Good
B&W Standard = Never heard by me

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by MoabUtah
Not sure why people would want a surround system in a car? More suited for video rather than audio. Never heard one, so it might be good with music too. Louder for sure ... but whether it is better quality is debatable. Suppose it depends on your hearing to a large degree.
I've upgraded a few vehicles to the top level surround sound systems and it really makes a hell of a difference.

The rear surround speakers are not so prominent but adding the center fill in the middle of the dashboard is a huge step up in sound.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckCat
I've heard both the 380W and 825W in XFs and the Meridian and B&W surround systems in XJs. IMO the XF sounds incredible audio-wise, much better than the XJ with the same system. I wanted the Meridian surround sound system after hearing it and would have paid $1k more for a vehicle with it. I ended up finding one with every other option I wanted except the surround sound and pulled the trigger.

Like was already said, a 2012 will have the B&W systems so I'm not sure what you are really looking at buying. I prefer the sound out of the Meridians but this is all very subjective so you will have to listen for yourself. Be aware, the great quality has made me switch to usb drive music and sometimes streaming from my phone as radio stations without HD don't sound so great in this car.

In summary (my opinion):
Meridian Surround = Amazing
Meridian Standard = Very Good
B&W Surround = Pretty Good
B&W Standard = Never heard by me
Like you said, a sound system is subjective to every individual. But, to put the Standard 380W Meridian above the B&W Surround is a little extreme. The 825W Meridian has lower THD than the 1200W B&W and the quality improvement is noticeable, but the 380W Meridian sounds as shitty as a system in a Base model BMW. Weak mids, treble is not clean, and the bass is completely lacking.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
..... but the 380W Meridian sounds as shitty as a system in a Base model BMW. Weak mids, treble is not clean, and the bass is completely lacking.
Really?????

Not in my car it isn't. Subjective area yes ... but that comment is ridiculous.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:16 PM

The 1200W B&W and the 825W Meridian use the SAME amplifier... the only difference is the speakers and some software...

The older B&W 440W Surround system uses the same amplifier (and software) as the Alpine system in my Land Rover LR2 actually... only difference is the speakers...

At th end of the day, my suggestion is get a car that has the Surround Sound, regardless of which one B&W 440W, B&W 1200W or Meridian 825W, the lower systems are all lacking somewhat compared to the Surround systems...

Or if you get a car with the mid-range systems, they can be retrofitted with the Surround hardware and the Surround functions activated in the software, which is absolutely worth doing.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Really?????

Not in my car it isn't. Subjective area yes ... but that comment is ridiculous.
You just said you haven't heard the upgraded system. So, without a reference point, how can you be so sure its a ridiculous comment?

Old 08-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Only heard the 325W once, in a loaner, and it was average, allowing for my limited exposure. I have the 825W system, and it is really outstanding for an OEM system, way better than the B&W that was in my previous XFR.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Like you said, a sound system is subjective to every individual. But, to put the Standard 380W Meridian above the B&W Surround is a little extreme. The 825W Meridian has lower THD than the 1200W B&W and the quality improvement is noticeable, but the 380W Meridian sounds as shitty as a system in a Base model BMW. Weak mids, treble is not clean, and the bass is completely lacking.
To put things in perspective, I have only heard the B&W surround in an XJ. It's possible I'd prefer it to the lower Meridian in an XF. I listen to pop, rock, hip hop and R&B.

I wish it wasn't over $2K in parts to upgrade to surround, and even more to go to the Reference system. I'll probably upgrade the sub at some point in the future.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Overblown
You just said you haven't heard the upgraded system. So, without a reference point, how can you be so sure its a ridiculous comment?
We are talking music yes?

Surround sound music is pretty awful regardless of the system. Have you ever heard a good home hi-fi? The sound stage for music should be in front of you as in a concert not coming from everywhere. One of the reasons that quadrophonic sound was such a failure.

Quadrophonic and surround sound was developed and best suited for video/movie presentation eg theatre to be realistic. Never for music.

So to say the Meridan system is shitty is a ridiculous statement.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We are talking music yes?

Surround sound music is pretty awful regardless of the system. Have you ever heard a good home hi-fi? The sound stage for music should be in front of you as in a concert not coming from everywhere. One of the reasons that quadrophonic sound was such a failure.

Quadrophonic and surround sound was developed and best suited for video/movie presentation eg theatre to be realistic. Never for music.

So to say the Meridan system is shitty is a ridiculous statement.
Yes, were are talking music and he said it sounds as bad as a base model BMW. Having heard more than my fair share of those in Germany, I'd have to agree that it's nothing impressive. Perhaps shitty is indeed too harsh a label but I have a feeling it wasn't so literal.

To be honest though, this is my third late model Jag/Rover vehicle and I have yet to be very impressed with their sound systems. Depends on the music you ask it to play. All of mine are or have been the upgraded versions as well. They have a nasty vibration habit from the door speakers and also seem to suffer from something that delivers distorted sound at certain frequencies.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2012 with the base 400 watt system. Shockingly bad, especially compared to the Alpine system in my older XJ and the Harmon Karden system in my previous E350. Intolerable really. Dealer offered no plausible upgrade options. Couldn't live with it. Had a 500 watt JL sub mounted in the trunk against the seat back. Huge improvement. Let me dial down the bass on the head unit and clean the sound up. About $800 installed. Still not as good as the premium OE systems but way, way better than before. The base system is awful, plain and simple.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jake1
I have a 2012 with the base 400 watt system. Shockingly bad, especially compared to the Alpine system in my older XJ and the Harmon Karden system in my previous E350. Intolerable really. Dealer offered no plausible upgrade options. Couldn't live with it. Had a 500 watt JL sub mounted in the trunk against the seat back. Huge improvement. Let me dial down the bass on the head unit and clean the sound up. About $800 installed. Still not as good as the premium OE systems but way, way better than before. The base system is awful, plain and simple.
I have the 440w B&W. The sub is absolute crap. Pull it out and get something better. I did and it sounds a lot cleaner throughout the range. The mids in the doors are pretty capable down to the 100hz range, so tune your crossover to 80hz or below for the sub or there is a big hump in sound there.

The other nice thing is the sub level is truly that. Not an EQ band that boosts lows, it actually works like the knob that comes with aftermarket amps and adjusts gain. This makes dialing it in much easier. Adjust the gain on the sub amp to where it sounds good when the sub level is centered. Then on stronger bass songs you can lower it a few and for weaker songs you can raise it a few and still have it sound good.

Also, the quality of the music will be of far more consequence with the B&W system. Bit rates need to be high (at least 320kb; lossless or wav sound better still) or your sound will be harsh and hollow, with poor low octave reproduction.

Also, if you have the 440w B&W, don't go too far from center with bass and treble or your sound will degrade with more volume. I find it sounds best at about 1/2 to 2/3 volume. Any lower is loses midrange presence. Any higher and the metal dome tweeters can get harsh unless you run them flat on the EQ.

If anyone has questions, just let me know.

The following users liked this post:
thePest007 (02-03-2017)
Old 08-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I did some searching but didn't come up with anything clear so I'll ask here - my 2010 XFR according to Topix has the Premium Sound System which is B&W. Does that make it the 440W or the 1200W ? Any way to tell ?

If it is the 440, is an amplifier upgrade all that is required for 1200W or do all the speakers need to be replaced too ?

Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I did some searching but didn't come up with anything clear so I'll ask here - my 2010 XFR according to Topix has the Premium Sound System which is B&W. Does that make it the 440W or the 1200W ? Any way to tell ?

If it is the 440, is an amplifier upgrade all that is required for 1200W or do all the speakers need to be replaced too ?
I have the B&W 440W system, as I'm not an audiophile I'm happy with it.
AFAIK the way to tell the 1200W system from the 440W system is the appearance of the centre dash speaker. On the 440W system is is flat just like the speaker on the base sound system, on the 1200W system it has a quite different raised speaker cover.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig

2010MY is the 440W B&W system.

The speakers are identical to the 1200W B&W from 2012MY.

The amplifer is totally different however, has different connectors on it, you can't unplug the "440W" amp and plug in the "1200W" one.

I did look into this when I did the Surround Sound upgrade in my LR2, since it's the same amp and head unit as the XF. The answer regarding the XF is "unfortuanuly in cars before S20752 is impossible just p&p Meridian amp, the SW of Head Unit doesn't have the SW for operates it." and the Meridian amp is the same one used on the 1200W B&W so that's that... Some more info here Differences in XF sound systems...?

Old 08-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Oh well 440W it is then ;-) I suspect 1200W would do this...

Last edited by stmcknig; 08-08-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Audio Systems