XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Brake Pads and Rotors Recommendations XFR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake Pads and Rotors Recommendations XFR

I have searched the forum and numerous parts sites and seems pretty limited on what will fit my 201o XFR. I have found EBC reds from R1 Concepts for about $1k delivered: - Front and Rear Premier Series High Carbon Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors + EBC Red Stuff Pads vs. EBC Reds and RK high carbon Rotors for about $1300 or so.

Anyway, seems more than I thought I would be spending. How are these and is there another option I should consider that will fit my car? Trying to limit the brake dust and ideally improve look and performace but brake dust is a must. Thanks

Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Apart from the dust, the OEM discs and pads provide all the performance you would ever want on the road IMO, and based on recollection of my previous XFR, they weren't bad on track, either. I would be very suspicious of any aftermarket vendor claiming meaningful braking performance gains. Your tire choice is more likely to have an effect.

In particular, cross drilling or slotting is unlikely to change the performance noticeably, although you have hinted that you like the non OEM look they would provide, so fair enough.

The following users liked this post:
zangonli (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,124 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Plenty of replacement rotors out there for the XFR, plain, slotted, cross-drilled or both, your choice.
But absolutely zero zip zilch ceramic pads for the XFR other than EBD (red stuff or yellow stuff).
I've read lots of conflicting reports about the EBD pads, some love them, some hate them, some say they last, some say they fall to pieces very quickly.
For these reasons I have not bought EBD pads for my XFR even though I would love low dust low noise ceramic pads.
Five months ago I bought and fitted new rotors and pads all round, as the existing stock rotors were getting near to minimum thickness and I was sick of the "graunch" just as the car came to a stop. I bought a set of slotted and cross drilled rotors and what was advertised as ceramic pads but they turned out to be the exact same semi-metallic pads I already had fitted, PosiQuiet. They are not a bad pad, reasonably progressive and a lot less dust than the stock pads, but the "graunch" on stopping is starting to rear it's ugly head again.
This is the kit I bought: Full Kit Platinum Hart Drilled Slot Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pad PHCC 2003502 | eBay
A fair bit cheaper that the R1s, but I suspect not as good quality, and despite being advertised as ceramic pads they are not. But the rotors look the business and I have had no issues with them so far.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Plenty of replacement rotors out there for the XFR, plain, slotted, cross-drilled or both, your choice.
But absolutely zero zip zilch ceramic pads for the XFR other than EBD (red stuff or yellow stuff).
I've read lots of conflicting reports about the EBD pads, some love them, some hate them, some say they last, some say they fall to pieces very quickly.
For these reasons I have not bought EBD pads for my XFR even though I would love low dust low noise ceramic pads.
Five months ago I bought and fitted new rotors and pads all round, as the existing stock rotors were getting near to minimum thickness and I was sick of the "graunch" just as the car came to a stop. I bought a set of slotted and cross drilled rotors and what was advertised as ceramic pads but they turned out to be the exact same semi-metallic pads I already had fitted, PosiQuiet. They are not a bad pad, reasonably progressive and a lot less dust than the stock pads, but the "graunch" on stopping is starting to rear it's ugly head again.
This is the kit I bought: Full Kit Platinum Hart Drilled Slot Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pad PHCC 2003502 | eBay
A fair bit cheaper that the R1s, but I suspect not as good quality, and despite being advertised as ceramic pads they are not. But the rotors look the business and I have had no issues with them so far.
Nice find, I was looking for something like this!

They also have plain rotors for those of us who don't care for the slots/holes: Full Kit Reliance Replacement Disc Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pads RBBC 20035 02 | eBay

Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

I bought R1 concepts drilled/ slotted rotors for my 2010 XF SC (same brakes as XFR). And Posiquiet ceramic pads. Posiquiet make a ceramic and a semi metallic pad

Love the look and the dust issue has gone too!

I bought from R1 but via eBay. Pricing was better - 800 usd for all four wheels

Old 04-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
I bought R1 concepts drilled/ slotted rotors for my 2010 XF SC (same brakes as XFR). And Posiquiet ceramic pads. Posiquiet make a ceramic and a semi metallic pad

Love the look and the dust issue has gone too!

I bought from R1 but via eBay. Pricing was better - 800 usd for all four wheels
Are you sure? (that the SC and XFR brakes are the same). I've searched for many hours and never found Posiquiet ceramic pads for the XFR. Ceramic pads for the 5.0 NA and 4.2 SC yes, semi-metallic for the XFR, but never ceramic for the XFR. As I pointed out above sometimes the semi-metallic pads are misdescribed as ceramic.
But if you truly have ceramic pads and they truly fit the XFR brakes then I am all ears and would love a link!

Update - searched again for ceramic brake pads for the XFR and found some I hadn't seen before, from R1 Concepts, called Spektrum 3000. Reasonably cheap, good reviews (admittedly not many) and what's more they post to Oz, where many US suppliers don't. See here and here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-SET-SP...item5677c5aa35
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-SET-SPE...item5b14fffd82

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-30-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi OzXFR. Yes - I'm sure the XFR and SC brakes are the same. At least on the 2010 model - I seem to remember the 2009 was a bit smaller at the front.

However I'm not 100% sure that it's ceramic vs semi metallic. I thought it said online that there is a posiquiet ceramic for the SC/XFR and that was certainly what I ordered. But I do remember reading semi metallic in some places and ceramic in others when I looked at multiple sites. And I thought the boxes said ceramic but can't remember for sure. I'll see if I can dig out a purchase receipt

Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi - if you look on eBay, R1 concepts are selling item number 391403194413
It's drilled and slotted premier series rotors, and posiquiet ceramic pads. Fitment is 2010 XFR and 2010 XF SC

This is what I bought. They very clearly state it's ceramic. But would suggest calling them to check in case it is actually semi metallic as you mentioned

Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hi OzXFR. Yes - I'm sure the XFR and SC brakes are the same. At least on the 2010 model - I seem to remember the 2009 was a bit smaller at the front.

However I'm not 100% sure that it's ceramic vs semi metallic. I thought it said online that there is a posiquiet ceramic for the SC/XFR and that was certainly what I ordered. But I do remember reading semi metallic in some places and ceramic in others when I looked at multiple sites. And I thought the boxes said ceramic but can't remember for sure. I'll see if I can dig out a purchase receipt
Thanks mate.
I still have the boxes my Posiquiet pads came in, and nowhere on them does it say "ceramic" or "semi-metallic" or any other description of the pad material.
They are from Centric, part # 103.14490 front and 103.14480 rear.
They are identical to the previous Centric Posiquiet pads I had fitted, including the part numbers, which were described as semi-metallic.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have EBC RK rotors and Red Stuff ceramic pads fitted on my XJR6. I have nearly 5000 miles on them and at this point they are very good. Excellent bite, no fade, no noise, and nearly zero dust generation. At this point I would give them a 5 Star review. Long term is of course still yet to be determined. What I can say is that the initial quality is very good, out of the box they look to be very well made and fitment was perfect.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

I've used R1 rotors and pads on my previous cars for about 12 years now, (They were only 30 min away) always GREAT service and products. That said
Welcome to the world of Jaguar...
I too have done numerous searches only to find R1 rotors and EBC pads are the only option besides factory. I currently have EBC pads and will use the R1! slotted rotors when the need arises.
I've done drilled and really noticed no difference in stopping vs just slotted, the word is if you're tracking the car drilled is best, if you just do street slotted will do and the extra surface area is actually more beneficial in everyday driving. I only use Ceramic pads and for the front EBC was the most available.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hi - if you look on eBay, R1 concepts are selling item number 391403194413
It's drilled and slotted premier series rotors, and posiquiet ceramic pads. Fitment is 2010 XFR and 2010 XF SC

This is what I bought. They very clearly state it's ceramic. But would suggest calling them to check in case it is actually semi metallic as you mentioned
Yep, same with the kit I bought, clearly stated on the web page (see link earlier) that they are ceramic pads, but the pads I got with the kit were definitely semi-metallic and not ceramic. I suppose it is possible that the seller ran out of ceramic pads and swapped them out for semi-metallic without telling me, but I very much doubt it. When I check out the Centric Posiquiet web catalogue they list ceramic pads only for the 5.0 NA and 4.2 SC, and not for the 5.0 SC. I have never found conclusive evidence that ceramic Posiquiet pads even exist for the 5.0 SC, but I suppose it is possible they supply them with certain rotors + pads kits and not on their own.
In hindsight I should have at least emailed them when I first received the kit to query why I got semi-metallic pads and not ceramic pads, but that was five months ago so a bit late now. But I'll ask them anyway, although I doubt if I'll get any response let alone a meaningful one.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Besides the debate about them being semi-metallic or ceramic, how is the brake dust on the posi-quiet compared to the stock pads?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagwower
Besides the debate about them being semi-metallic or ceramic, how is the brake dust on the posi-quiet compared to the stock pads?
It's a lot less than the stock pads, maybe about 1/2 as much.
But it's still a fair bit more than the Powerstop ceramic pads I fitted to my old XFS, they were extremely low dust and they also didn't "graunch" just as I come to a stop like both sets of the Posiquiet pads have done.
Remembering that my old XFS was the UK version, 3.0 diesel with the 355 mm front and 326 mm rear brakes, same as the 5.0 NA and 4.2 SC.
It's just that Powerstop don't make ceramic pads for the 5.0 SC.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks all for your input. Sad there are not more options for the big XFR brakes. So I think I will likely go R1 and EBC Reds. Will post when I get done as to how it turned out. Might be a little while as need to get parts and sched install. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever you do, don't get the Posiquiet Semi-Metallics, at least for the XFR. I have a '13 XFR, and switched to R1 slotted/drilled rotors and the Posiquiet Semi-Metallic pads. Brakes are very soft (yes, they've been bled) and not confidence-inspiring (two 80-0 stops in a row and there is noticeable fade), and they SQUEAL LIKE CRAZY. This is after using the shims and reinstalling with the anti-squeal compound. Never again.

I'm debating whether to just deal with the annoying squeal or switch to the EBC Red Stuff pads.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

EBC Reds have been good to me so far. Got rid of most of the dust (and it's no longer black soot) but most importantly stopped the grabbiness.

Got mine from PlaceforBrakes.com. They also have the EBC rotor and pad packages with EBC rotors for competitive pricing.

Let us know your thoughts when you get them.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Another happy EBC Red customer here on my 2010 XFR - less dust (well less black!) and less grabbiness but no shortage of oh **** stopping power...I'm running stock rotors.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagwower
I've found them to be much much better than stock which were just terrible for the dust.

I've also had no issues with softness, squeal or grinding on stopping. They have been terrific

OzXFR - let me know if you hear anything back from them on semi metallic vs ceramic. Interested to know. Either way I've been very pleased

Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm using centric high carbon and EBC Reds. So far so good.