XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bulge in dash board - 2010 XF Premium

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The glue that jag used was cheap.
Any normal upholstery shop should be able to recover the dash panel for 100 -200 dollars.
it is not the fault of the leather it is the fault of the adhesive. The shop will reuse the leather and fasten it correctly.

The following users liked this post:
thePest007 (02-09-2017)
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please send me your link

Thanks David, I saw a video clip along this forum, but it was showing how to replace the entire dash. I don't think it was the same video that you were referring to, but I could be wrong. Can you please post the link to your clip? I was just quoted $5k to replace the dash at the Dealership in Dallas area. Crazy! It's out of warranty. Thanks, John

Originally Posted by DavidT
I just added a post under XF bubbling leather on dashboard which explains the whole problem .It can be fixed by removing dash top then peeling back leather and re gluing . The leather is then stapled around the speaker opening and the leading edge of the dash near the windscreen vents which prevents the leather shrinking and pulling the adhesive backing off the dash . Look up my post and look at the You Tube video titled XF Jaguar dashboard leather bubbling and you will see precisely how to fix the problem . David T

Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MD78
I just encountered the same problem with the dashboard. My 2010 XF has 58,000 miles on it. The dashboard was fine and last week, I entered the car and noticed that the dash had bubbled up near the window by the front speaker. The temps were very cold for a few days in Illinois (-13) saw its just not a heat related issue. I also saw this on a 2009 Jaguar that was for sale in the Jaguar Dealership lot. This seems to be a common problem for Jaguar that they are aware of. I am in the process of going back and forth with the dealership and Jaguar as the Pre-Certified warranty is still in effect but the original manufacturer warranty expired three months ago or 8,000 miles ago. I am really surprised that Jaguar did not address this issue.
After less than 60,000 miles???? Damn Jaguar. I have a Lexus with 290,000 miles, and no problems with the dash, and I have a similar center channel speaker. Just sad. Saving money on glue, of all things.

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Not covered under CPO warranty as it's considered trim, which CPO doesn't cover. Original manufacturers warranty does cover it and I got mine replaced immediately after purchasing the car once I read about it on the forum.
So much for the CPO, but you gotta have it. No way am I owning a Jag out of warranty.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XF dashboard leather bubbling

To find the Video that shows how to remove the XF leather topped dash to re glue the leather and staple the leading edge and around the speaker vent you just log on to U Tube and enter in the search field " Jaguar XF dashboard leather bubbling repair " and the English Video will come up and show you how to remove the dash and then when it is out re glue and staple the leather and then re assemble it back into the car. It is an excellent video and the only way to repair the problem .
DavidT

Old 08-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidT
To find the Video that shows how to remove the XF leather topped dash to re glue the leather and staple the leading edge and around the speaker vent you just log on to U Tube and enter in the search field " Jaguar XF dashboard leather bubbling repair " and the English Video will come up and show you how to remove the dash and then when it is out re glue and staple the leather and then re assemble it back into the car. It is an excellent video and the only way to repair the problem .
DavidT
Are you talking about this video? If so, it's more like watching a movie preview than the full movie -- you get the general idea, but you've still got a lot to figure out on your own.

DPK (08-26-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Have the same bubble, and was planning to try the old syringe-with-glue trick.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 AM

I have a new in the box leather dash top that a dealer sent to me as part of a deal on a 2009 XFS/C CPO with a bad dash top. Dealer ended up replacing mine under warranty, so I have an extra.

Last edited by mclaughing; 08-28-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have been through - if the leather is only bubbled, it 'may' be able to be pulled back and reglued, but it might be easier to put a pinhole in the leather and put glue in through a syringe instead of pulling back the leather.
If the leather is peeling back from around the center speaker, it is shrinking, and it's a 99 to 1 shot of re-stretching the leather, which would then require new glue and stapling the leather down where it wraps around the dash.
If you buy the entire dash from a dealer - figure 3000 bucks. I have seen it as low as 1900 bucks online.
The next method is taking your dash off, covering it with suede, and putting it back together.
Easiest fix is to cover the dash with a high end dash cover for 40 bucks and tell yourself it looks fine.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by n8ertot
Post some pics when you are done.

My wager is that you'll really wish you didn't try that old trick. It will most likely look much worse than the original bulge when you're done. Kinda like those brainiacs that try to glue or thumbtack their falling headliner.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaughing
I have a new in the box leather dash top that a dealer sent to me as part of a deal on a 2009 XFS/C CPO with a bad dash top. Dealer ended up replacing mine under warranty, so I have an extra.
What is the color of the dash top that you have?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A stupid quality major problem with Jaguar - they should fix specifically in the USA. I am amazed they get the JD Powers customer satisfaction award.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by CountryCat
Interior color is black

Old 09-08-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by CountryCat
Brown with a redish tint (Burgundy?)

Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the confusion, my previous post was directed to member "mclaughing" as to what color the extra dash top in box is.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Default In the Box Dash Cover

Originally Posted by mclaughing

Hello McLaughing, I was wondering if you still have this item and if you know if this would also fit the 2009 XF Premium Model? If so, how much are you asking for it?

Thanks,
john
johnmart0000@yahoo.com

Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Exclamation Leather Dashboard 2009 XK

I came back to Florida after a month in the UK to find the dashboard had pulled away and wave had appeared . This is a low milage car 12,000 and has been garaged . Jaguar US claim this is fair wear and tear, I disputed this as the local Jaguar dealership tech had tole me it was an adhesive issue with the early XF range. After numerous calls to Jaguar they offered 50% of the repair cost almost $2000. This is a fault in manufacture so I have taken it up with the Coventry factory. Not sure why we should pay for something they cause during the build process. If any one has the same issues with there Jaguar , suggest they contact me as a class action or a direct case against Jaguar corporate may force them to issue a recall. This would primarily effect owner in hot climates

Old 07-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by n8ertot
I am guessing this didn't go well since you haven't posted about it since last year?

Robert Pearcey (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 03:28 PM

It's ongoing only happened in June . Most everyone else who posted got no offer. I did think about the syringe and using a roller to stretch it back.

May ask JagCorporate for the $2000 in cash and risk it !

I will keep the thread going whilst I await a response from the factory.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

This seems to be one of those things that everybody knows but JC say they have never heard of so don't understand why a recall or TSB would be necessary and why 50% is considered generous. Jaguar aren't the only ones, Audi were worse with their rubber coated switchgear which went goo overnight and were impossible to rectify other than replace. If the goo didn't get you then the rubber coating just flaked off and Audi blamed it on "sweaty fingers". After twenty odd years of Audi ownership it was one of the last straws.

I get that Coventry can't easily replicate the Texas climate (I was told by local indie Jag Techs it's more heat than direct sun/UV issue) - but when a small portion of your customer base run into edge cases due to where we're at, don't play silly buggers, do the right thing and fix it.

Robert Pearcey (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 05:06 PM

The consumer can not be blamed for a manufacturing defect thus it is Jaguars responsibility to correct a mistake made in design. The modified dash has staples. Jaguar continued to fit the old version even after they became aware of the fault. I had a Mercedes 500 for 15 years in Las Vegas when I sold in dash was perfect. May I ask if you work for Jaguar as that is the only way I can imagine you came up with your reply.

Quick Reply: Bulge in dash board - 2010 XF Premium