XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Buying my first XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Buying my first XF

I've done a lot of homework, and think the XF is the perfect luxury sedan for me. I'm not looking at the supercharged or R- models, just the Luxury or Premium Luxury.

My budget is around $30,000. As I went and test drove two yesterday, one a 2009 XF Luxury with 24,000 miles at $32,998 an the other a 2009 XF Premium Luxury with 41,000 miles at $31,798, it seemed the salesman didn't even know about the Jaguar warranty. So that's why I'm coming here.

The first (XF Lux w/24k miles) was wrecked. The vehicle history report says "Accident Reported involving Front Impact with another vehicle - vehicle disabled." That scared me away from that car, mainly because the owner put another 1500 miles on the odometer, had two tire rotations and a front end alignment in that time period, and then traded it in within 2 months of the accident. When I'm spending $33k+ on a car, I don't want someone else's problem.

The second is an XF Premium Luxury with 41k miles on, but it is certified preowned. We actually had to go into the shop to look at this car, as it was up on the rack for "reconditioning." While it was up on the rack, I noticed a few things. First, the frame appeared to be rusting in parts on the bottom of the car. Second, there was a dent in the back bumper about two inches across that I assume was in a slight fender bender. Third, there were two things hanging down from toward the front of the car, about 1 foot in from either wheel on the bottom. They were small, flat panels and were hanging by a wire, which makes me assume they are electrically-related components (Sensors, perhaps?) and that worries me as Jags are notorious for being electrical nightmares... Then, when they lowered the vehicle, there were lots of hoses disconnected in the hood and whatnot, and the tech said that they were fixing a "small leak," which I later learned was in the engine...I just think there are too many red flags to buy this vehicle.

So how does the warranty work?
CPO vs. Not CPO...the first car is out of warranty in 2 months and I see that being a potential nightmare...the second has the CPO which includes roadside coverage, extended 6 year, 100k mile from start-date warranty, etc. What would you do/advise?

I'm thinking that I might have to look in the $30k-$35k range to get a good deal on one. That said, I stopped at a different Jaguar dealer on the way home, and they have two BRAND NEW Jaguar XF's with no miles...luxury packages...MSRP $55,800, offered it to me for $43,700 out the door since it is the old body style, and as a selling point, 2011 is the last year when all maintenance was complimentary for he said 5 years, 5k miles , but I assume its 4 years, 50k miles?

Then I got home, and while this car is quite a drive from me, for $33,900, it's low on the odometer, premium luxury so I can have the ventilated seats which is a huge plus for the summer (for me, at least), and has practically every factory option except the add-on leaper...any thoughts?

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury | Pre-Owned Inventory | Certified Pre Owned Cars | Used Jaguars

Thanks so much for any and all advice...I'm new to the Jaguar world and it is the people on this forum who have convinced me to give Jag a try!

~Arlingtonman

Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Not sure if you were inquiring about the 2011's specifically. The warranty on those was 5 years, 50k. But the car was likely purchased by the dealer from Jaguar, and the warranty started even though the car is new. If you are considering that car, just check into it. I cannot offer much on the used cars, although it would seem that since 2013's are not that far off, you should consider looking into a used 2010. From what I have read here on the forum, they made some corrections and upgrades from the 2009.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

First and foremost, welcome aboard!

I would steer clear of any car that was involved in an accident. They never drive the same. Just wait a little longer and spend more.

Cherry Hill Jaguar (the link you posted) want way too much money for their cars. Every single one of them is overpriced. They asking $46,000 for a 2010 model. I can point out 50 2012s for that much that have more options on them.
I have been looking at Jaguars for about 8 months now and have done a lot of comparing, therefore know exactly how much an XF should go for with certain amount of miles on it. And, all their cars look dirty and not properly cleaned/detailed, at least to my standards.

I would personally keep looking and go for a Premium model if you can.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The sensors hanging down sound like the pickups for tire pressure monitors, they just clip in to the fender liners. Also a little surface rust is normal under all cars. The "notorious" electrical problems mostly went away when Ford took over years ago.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Modern unibody cars can be repaired perfectly. The old saw about them never being the same is actually nonsense. The problems come from unskilled repairs.

My 91 Alfa Romeo 164 was t boned in 1992, $16K damage. I still own it. The car has been straight and rattle free for 20 years.

Unibodies are repaired in the same fashion as they are built, with alignment holes in the structure lined up by lasers on a frame rack. Once all those holes line up, the body is as straight and durable as when I left th factory. Those same holes were checked by laser after the original welding was completed at the factory.

Those 2009 are way overpriced regardless. Mileage is not really important any longer. Cars mainly depreciate by age. They should not depreciate as fast as they do but that's the reality.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Arlington, I don't know if you use Autotrader.com but i just looked up XFs within 200 miles of your zip and found an 09 XF Lux with 28,000 miles for $31,000. It is also certified and according to car fax it is accident free. It is also Frost Blue, like your linked example. However, having taken a look at what you are looking for, it appears to be nice match. Here is the link:

Cars for Sale: 2009 Jaguar XF in Great Neck, NY 11021: Sedan Details - 312186782 - AutoTrader.com

Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Wow! I can't believe all the helpful replies I've got already!

I agree with you, Executive. I know from experience that a car that was wrecked never runs the same again. Jagular makes a convincing argument, but I'm speaking from experience.

Another question - the car that was CPO was a 2009 XF Luxury with 40k miles priced at $31,290. However, the chrome around the windows looked really dull and worn, almost like it was tarnishing. The salesman said that happens with all of them...but it was really ugly! Has this happened to any of yours?

I'd like to stick around $30k, do you think that that is possible for a CPO XF Luxury with less than 50k miles?

I only asked about the electrical problems because a friend of mine has an '05 X-Type and said it is an electrical nightmare...so that scares me for the brand as a whole. Consumer Reports didn't do anything to boost my optimism, either.

I'm looking for a 2009, or a 2010 if I could afford it I would like to have a year of maintenance (oil changes, brakes & rotors etc. included) which is only under original warranty. Is 2010 XF's manufacturer warranty 4 year 50k or 5 year 50k? What are your opinions of this vehicle...not CPO because not a jag dealer, but the dealer gets good reviews.
2010 Jaguar XF - EXECUTIVE AUTO GALLERY INC WALNUTPORT, PA

One last thing, if you were in my position, what would you do? I'd really like to stay under $30, but can go up to $33ish if needed. I would be willing to go to VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ, OH, or WV for the car. Anywhere else is too far for me. The Jaguar at Great Neck is great, but I'm never in the NYC area, nor do I want to be...any other suggestions would be great!

I also have my local jaguar dealer holding any 2009 or 2010 leases that get traded in, he says they get them all the time and should be able to find one for me, as a note.

Arlingtonman

Old 05-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Luxury was the base model, premium luxury was the mid model. Depending on options the premium lux retailed for about $5-10k more than the luxury. This would produce a price difference during the life of the car.

Main differences were bi xenon lights, upgraded leather interior including leather dash top and door tops, and upgraded sound system. The Bowers & Wilkins sound system was a pricey option on top of the premium level pricing.

I decided the premium level cost too much for what you got and bought the base model. Mind you, mine had the winter package fitted to all Canadian cars, headlight washers, heated seats, heated windshield and factory installed block heater.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Do you have to have premium luxury to have cooled seats?

Up here in NE USA, all dealers I've been to say that the heated seats and heated steering wheel are standard on all Jaguars sold in our area, but down south, they don't have heated seats or a heated steering wheel.

I really am looking to have all three, if at all possible? Does that mean I need to look at Prem. Lux and not not just Lux?

Thanks-

Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Also, I forgot to ask - is there any way to have an automatic trunk closure installed either OEM or aftermarket? That is one feature I would like to have - was wondering if anyone has that on theirs or if any of you know if you can add that aftermarket...

Arlingtonman

Old 05-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I bought my '11 I was originally looking at '09's. But, once I drove an '11 with the 5L engine (upgraded in '10 from the 4.2L) there was no more considering the '09. That extra 85 ponies make that much difference. Of course, I went with the SC to get additional 85 ponies over that but that's just sweet excess.

Also, please note that the base XF in '09 didn't come with the hands-free keyless entry. You have to pull the remote out of your pocket to unlock the door versus just walking up and pulling on the handle. That's a feature I'd be hard-pressed to give up now.

Just a couple things to consider. Be sure you consider all of the options before making your decision and good luck! You'll love it!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for that Hackman. Power isn't really a concern for me, and the 4.2L is more than enough for me (in fact, I wish the European 3.5L V6 were sold in the US!). I didn't know that about keyless entry, and that is something i would want to have. Do you know if the premiums have that feature? You made it sound like just the base model (luxury) lack that feature-right?

Love to hear more opinions from others!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen the dull moldings they can usually be cleaned up with medal polish (a product called "Bombs Away" works great) Takes some work.
Factory warranty 2009-10 is 4/50 / 2011 is 5/50 and Includes Maintenance / 12 back to 4/50, Nice of Jag to keep it simple.
CPO / 100k warranty comes only from a Jag dealer (They usually get and keep the best cars). It is probably money well spent, the XF has been a great car but you never know.
Heated and/or cooled seats can be found on all models depending how they were optioned. Only Premiums and up had total keyless, (small button on handle) on base models you have to push the remote button to unlock.
Auto trunk is on 12- only, upgrading would probably be a challenge.
IMO Cars are a different and complicated commodity, Consumer Reports should probably stick to testing toasters.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 AM

Wondering if something like this would do the trick for a self closing trunk-

Power Trunk / Hatch Kit 15lbs* « autoloc.com

Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 2011 Luxury Premium with several options. In that model year the base ("Luxury") model lacked bi-xenon self-levelling headlights with washers, blind spot monitors, front parking sensors, rear camera, 19" wheels, smart key with keyless entry, upgrade softgrain perforated leather seats, active ventilated ("cooled") seats, softgrain leather instrument panel and door top rolls; all of which are standard on the "Luxury Premium." All models including base have heated seats and the wonderful 5 liter engine (not true in earlier years, and trust me you MUST have this engine). Heated windshield & heated steering wheel (both of which I paid extra for and never use) are options on the Premium, along with the incredible (and well worth the money) Bowers and Wilkins sound system, rated by many experts the finest sounding system ever to come with any car. A Premium is simply a much finer car than the base model, at a comparitively small additional price.

Last edited by Swimref; 05-21-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
So how does the warranty work?
CPO vs. Not CPO...the first car is out of warranty in 2 months and I see that being a potential nightmare...the second has the CPO which includes roadside coverage, extended 6 year, 100k mile from start-date warranty, etc. ~Arlingtonman
The extended Jaguar 6yr/100K mile CPO starts from the same vehicle purchase date as the original 4yr/50K mile factory warranty. It extends the original 4 years by an additional 2 years and the original 50K miles by an additional 50K miles, whichever occurs first.

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
Wondering if something like this would do the trick for a self closing trunk ~Arlingtonman
The latch parts look the same between my 2012 and 2009. Perhaps the trunk lid latch can be replaced with the pull-down latch used for the 2012. An extra power source wire may have to be routed up and into the trunk lid for the pull-down motor.

Last edited by Jerry S; 05-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM

So I've been continuing the search - the Cherry Hill car was sold, and it was overpriced, truly, for what it was.

I'm now looking at a 2011 XF. It is pricier, but with the advice of going for the 5.0 over the 4.2 you guys said is necessary, and the fact that its newer and has more service included, I think it is the smarter way to go.

I'm looking at a 2011 XF Luxury with 9,000 miles, finished in Liquid Silver over Dove/Charcoal/Burl Wood. It was a dealer loaner car for customers to borrow when their vehicles were being serviced. This XF is covered by the original 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty. The dealer says the only thing I would have to pay for in that time period is tires and gas...is this right?

So lets talk numbers, too. The dealer wants $42,995 but they offered me $38,500 before even stepping foot on their lot. Is that a good deal or should I try to get it lower? I'm planning on going to look at it tomorrow.

Also, I would like a few dealer ad-ons like the chrome leaper and illuminated door sills. Do you think I should try to get them thrown in in the sale price of the vehicle?

Thanks so much!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arlington Man:

My opinion, FWIW. Purchased a 2010 XF Premium Luxury, with 6/100K CPO and 1.9 Factory Finance on Mom's day for my wife for around 34K. That seems like a good price to me, with 19" Jag wheels, new tires and brakes, and the car almost as sweet as possible.

PS: Don't underestimate the price of tires with a great car like these, especially with 19" wheels. Don't know if the original factory warranty covers brakes, but I know it covers all sorts of other stuff.

If you buy a 2010, dont forget to have them do the headunit firmware update, and get a new nav disk.

These cars are a great value for the $, and very fun to drive.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

On the 2011's maintenance is covered under the warranty, and was told by my dealer that up to two sets of brake pads are included.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Any comments on the price - good price, great price, or ripoff?

11 XF Luxury, 9,000 miles, former dealer loaner (so I would be official 1st owner), Liquid Silver over Dove/Charcoal/Burl Wood interior, cold weather package (heated seats and heated steering wheel). Dealer will install the illuminated Jaguar tread plates and leaper included in the purchase price of$38,500...what do you think?

Quick Reply: Buying my first XF