XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Buying my first XF

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
Any comments on the price - good price, great price, or ripoff?

11 XF Luxury, 9,000 miles, former dealer loaner (so I would be official 1st owner), Liquid Silver over Dove/Charcoal/Burl Wood interior, cold weather package (heated seats and heated steering wheel). Dealer will install the illuminated Jaguar tread plates and leaper included in the purchase price of$38,500...what do you think?
Hey, you can always haggle some (does't have air conditioned seats, etc). However, the Price is great according to Truecar.com. Be sure to check Carfax and dealer maintenance records to see if anything has happened to the vehicle.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Arlington,

PM sent.

The following users liked this post:
arlingtonman (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I think you have a pretty nice deal there, especially with the leaper and lighted door sills thrown in, which with labor is around a grand. All 2011's have heated seats, the cold pack is heated steering wheel and heated windshield. I have both and consider them both completely superfluous. I know you have already stretched your budget but if there's any way to find a Premium for not much more I would highly recommend it and you would never be sorry, especially if it had the B & W sound system. Good luck and welcome to the XF world.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Try this site for a wag at the price. The value on this site seems to be closer to reality than on kelly blue book, which always seems 2-4k hight.

2011 Jaguar XF pricing at VMR Used Car Prices

I think Edmund's has a depreciation schedule. Since the car is a 2011, it is at least 1.5 years old despite the low mileage. I will update when I find it.

Actually, it was cars.com that had a residual schedule, primarily used in leases, but regardless. First year depreciation is about 20%, and second year probably around 16%. At 1 and 1/2 years, you could wag it at 28%. Because it only has 9,000 miles and not 22,500 (1.5 yrs at 15k miles per year) you can add back the difference (22500-9000=13500). 13500 miles at say .05 cents per mile is $675 added back. What is MSRP of car and how much warranty is left?

Last edited by jaguny; 06-01-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How much is left on the warranty - check the in-service date. For a base XF I think the price is a bit high. I paid about that for mine over a year and a half ago with 4.5 years of warranty left and it only had only 2,700 miles.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

I went to see the 2011 Jaguar XF today (9000 miles, dealer loaner vehicle for $38,500) and for the most part, I liked it. I have a few concerns that could be deal breakers---it depends.

1) Lets start with the biggest issue (for me at least) - the accident. When a lady had the car as a loaner, she hit into a sidewalk and went over the curb. The dealership said that the incident was hardly an 'accident' and that very little damage was done. There were some suspension parts that were replaced to be safe because they didn't meet their standards. These parts include the upper control arm and the rack and pinion. My friend owns the biggest body shop in the area and he has agreed to look it over on Monday and put it on his alignment machine. He doesn't think it sounds too bad-what do you all think?

2) The wheels look terrible. I mean terrible. Like they came from a 5 or 6 year old car, not a 2011 Jag. There are scratches here and there (mainly around the edges) which aren't that terribly noticeable, but there is white residue that I couldn't get off with my finger on the inside of the wheel. Here is a picture I took - sorry it isn't that great. Look at the bottom inside-it is most noticeable there. Any clue what it could be? I also looked at a BMW 3-series next to it for comparison, and it had this residue there too. He thought maybe it was from wax as it was just detailed...do you think it would come off and clean up nice?

download-10 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3) A big issue for me is the lack of a backup camera. Given the limited rear visibility due to the coupe-like styling of the XF, and the fact that I am so accustomed to having a backup camera from my Camry, I really think it is essential. The salesman said he didn't know if they could wire the camera beneath the chrome Jaguar "bar" across the trunk (by the license plate) and program it into the existing navigation module. Is this possible? Any idea on what that would cost? He did suggest an aftermarket camera (with a sort-of 'Garmin-esque' screen that mounts on the windshield) but when I'm paying $40k+ for a car (once taxes and fees are all said and done), I don't want that.

4) Anyone install a leaper themselves? Is is easy to do? I'm asking because now the dealer wants me to pay $500 for a leaper and I think that's incredibly outrageous. I found a chrome plated steel leaper on eBay for $50 and think my friend who owns the body shop would drill the holes if I asked him to...is the instillation easy?

Thanks so much for all your help and I really look forward to getting all your advice, experience and suggestions on these four things! Please - everyone chime in!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I'd probably stay away even though it's been mechanically certified as repaired. Any accident like that may have permanently altered the handling characteristics no matter how minutely. That said, I'd go and drive another 2011 XF that hasn't had an accident. If you cannot tell the difference between the two cars then that's the best case scenario for a good repair. If you can tell the difference then you have to decide how much of a bargain the accident car is.

2. I agree its an older wheel design but you can always replace wheels. You could even resell the old ones and buy OEM ones from your dealership too.

3. I've driven cars with and without the backup camera and although it is nice, I still get the best visibility from side mirrors and listen to feedback from the rear parking sensors. Will you be parallel parking or maneuvering in reverse a lot?

4. I haven't done the leaper myself but I'm not sure if it flows with the body of the car. I have seen it on the XF and I used to have one on my X-Type where I thought it was perfect but I won't add it on my XF. That said, if you like it, go for it.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

1) Best advice will come from the body shop and your own driving impressions. The suggestion to compare to another XF is a good one.
2) There could be alot of value taken out of the original car if the wheels and tires were swapped. Found out what the OEM tires and wheels were and compare the difference in cost to what is on the car now. If you compare both as new, it will give you a relative difference in cost. The wheels on the car now look pretty shabby and have not even been well detailed. Doesn't look like the dealer or Owner cared. The white stuff could be wax, but there does also appear to be brake dust damage. You need to assess the cost of wheel and tire replacement (if necessary) in the overall cost.
3) Personally don't like the idea of an aftermarket camera. Your decision on whether you can live without. Aftermarket would take away from the elegance of the interior in my opinion.
4) I don't care for the look of the leaper on the XF, but that is a personal judgment. $500 seems ridiculous. THere is a thread on the forum from a member who did a removal version, where the base stayed. This was to avoid theft. Would not pay $500.

Would suggest starting with the MSRP of the car and trying to establish the real value of this vehicle, including subtracting for the wheels. Good luck with the shopping and don't accept anything that is going to trouble you in the long run.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to see the 2011 Jaguar XF today (9000 miles, dealer loaner vehicle for $38,500) and for the most part, I liked it. ...
1) Lets start with the biggest issue (for me at least) - the accident. ...
I would stay away. If not, you need a much more substantial discount.
Last year (about this time) I bought a 2010 XF that was a dealer loaner, with 6000 miles. I paid $39,500.
With an accident history, I would expect at least another $5k off the value, maybe more. For KBB purposes, it cannot be better than "Good" condition if it has accident history.
4) Anyone install a leaper themselves?
This is our fourth Jag, and I love the leaper. But I don't think it fits with the XF, and we did not add it.
It's personal opinion, but I would find one with it installed (or photos online), and make sure you like it, because you can't go back once the holes are drilled.

The following users liked this post:
arlingtonman (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Wow thanks everyone! I was wondering if the wheels were switched out...they seem
in horrible condition for a 2011. The dealer just put a brand new set of Continental ContiProContact 245/45/R18 tires on the car, which is included in purchase price.

Given that they went from $43k to $38500, they act like they already stretched for me and that's about the bottom line. I, too, think the accident is something that decreases the value and would want to see if that could be adjusted for. I'm not afraid to go somewhere else...but the warranty is very tempting...would it cover any repairs i could need pertaining to the suspension? Let's put it this way- if this car didn't have this warranty, I wouldn't even consider it.

I like the leaper only because to me, that's what makes a jag a jag. Sure, it's a little classic for the modern styling of the XF, but it feels incompete without it. I think I would be more willing todo that mod myself than pay these guys "at least $500" to do it...

The one real non-negotiable is the backup camera. IS THERE A WAY THAT THE DEALERSHIP CAN INSTALL AN OEM (preferred) OR HIGH QUALITY AFTERMARKET CAMERA AND INCORPORATE IT INTO THE EXISTING NAVIGATION MODULE? I would think there has to be a way.

All other advice is welcome.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 AM

I've given it serious thought, and I'm not going to go for the 2011. I think I've been blinded by the appeal of a newer car for the past few days but I have to think logically. I can't get over that its wrecked, and $40,000+ (After tax) is just way too expensive for what its worth. Plus, I don't need the 5L v8 (as I said before, I don't even need a V8...I wish it was a V6 or even a I4 like my Camry would be nice for fuel economy!) and so I went back to the drawing board, and, more specifically, back to the '09s I was originally looking at.

So I'm looking at a CPO 2009 Jaguar XF PREMIUM with 49,000 miles. It is $29,000 and has the extended warranty. The color is Radiance outside, which I think is a stunning color, and the inside is champagne with the chocolate colored, stitched leather dash, and a beautiful color of wood I've never seen before (isn't the oak or a burl...sort of a dark grayish wood with the grain showing...beautiful!)

The Carfax shows a few things, and I'm not sure if these are common maintenance things or if any should raise a red flag:

-Wiper Switch Replaced (6,000 miles)
-Two Wheel Alignment Performed (6,000 miles)
-Engine/Powertrain Computer/Module Reprogrammed (15,000 miles)
-Oil and Filter Changed (15,000 miles)
-Rear brake pads and rotors replaced (31,000 miles)
-Transmission range switch replaced (31,000 miles)
-Window Motor Replaced (36,000 miles)
-Console Repaired (36,000 miles)

Any red flags I should be worried about or is that all pretty standard? Uploading pictures to flickr shortly, will post a link.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Smile

Here is a link to the photos - I forgot to mention it also has the Bowers and Wilkins sound.

Flickr: arlingtonman's Photostream

Also, I saw a bit of a discrepancy on the dealer's website. It is listed as a "Jaguar Select Certified Vehicle" as indicated by the logo on the listing, but it says in the description: "IT HAS A CLEAN CARFAX, BUT IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CERTIFICATION." What would you go by? I'm thoroughly confused.

Arlingtonman

Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Here is a link to the photos - I forgot to mention it also has the Bowers and Wilkins sound.

Flickr: arlingtonman's Photostream

Also, I saw a bit of a discrepancy on the dealer's website. It is listed as a "Jaguar Select Certified Vehicle" as indicated by the logo on the listing, but it says in the description: "IT HAS A CLEAN CARFAX, BUT IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CERTIFICATION." What would you go by? I'm thoroughly confused.

Arlingtonman

That looks like a nice car, the interior is just like mine and I think it looks the best of all their options. IMHO stick with the tried and true 4.2 motor, old school and reliable! I paid $28k for 09 XF Supercharged with 65k miles in mint condition, no warranty left though. I have the full service history and nothing out of the ordinary had to be done during the warranty period. It runs perfect now, the interior is of great quality and looks like it will hold up well. That interior is called : Ivory/Oyster Softgrain with Rich Oak Veneer, that is what it says on my original window sticker.

Last edited by 09XFSuper; 06-03-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for that post. It's reassuring. Any red flags from the Carfax or is that all pretty standard stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for that post. It's reassuring. Any red flags from the Carfax or is that all pretty standard stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like usual kind of stuff you've listed, I do not see the Jaguar Drive Selector update, they had a modification at one point and then they replaced the assemblies, seems this car did not experience the issue (unable to shift etc). See if you can get service history direct from the dealer. There is currently an open service bulletin to replace the rear led tail light assemblies for 2009's at least, my local dealer told me they will replace my lights for free, I have not done it yet because the previous owner actually replaced the light assemblies and the led's all work.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with 09XFSuper. But if you decide on this car remember that the beautiful white leather interior will require more attention to keep it clean. If you wear jeans, the blue may come off on the seats. The color combination is beautiful. Make sure that all TSB's have been done on this car, I do not think there are many, but be sure to ask the Jag dealer.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 AM

I got news last evening that that one sold, so SOL there

Im looking at a different one now-posted a new thread.