XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Caliper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Covers

I'm thinking about purchasing colored caliper covers for my 2011 XF Premium non supercharged from MGP. They make covers especially for the model. Anyone have experience with these? Any downside to installing them other than the fact they aren't cheap?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had seen these too and was thinking of it. Googled and found a few posts out there - BMW guys didn't like them on this post but had not tried: MGP Caliper Covers? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

most other folks on other groups seem to have the same sentiment as this post - look bad, hold in heat and if they fall off you have an issue.

Challenger guys debated but those that used liked: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...uestion-41403/

and I somewhat agree w/ the thoughts they have about the clean look.

I have wanted Red Calipers since day one on my XR-S and thought of trying the XFR optional calipers. Never got a real answer but it looks like I would have to physically buy 4 new XFR calipers and rotors and then get the optional covers from jag... At least that's what the parts mgr at my dealer thought - but there's no data that he could really use to figure out...

anyway I think some folks on here painted theirs and I think at some point I will get off my *** and do that. Problem is when I have the spare time I'm driving mine!

let me know what you end up doing

Last edited by UltBlkXF; 07-20-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

No question caliper covers will degrade brake performance under heavy braking due to heat issues. This won't be an issue in North America where speeds are very low and hard braking rare.

Paint is the better technical solution but hard to do correctly.

Bear in mind that stock brake pads are very dusty and the calipers will quickly go black with dust. Best colour for calipers is therefore black, not red or yellow.

Finally, like spoilers and large wheels, coloured calipers are just a styling thing. Hard to understand why anyone wants decorated brakes. The yellow and red were originally used to advertise the money you wasted on carbon ceramic brakes for your street car. Technically useless actually, racing brakes for the street. Why one would advertise one's own foolishness in that way is hard to understand.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimiz
I'm thinking about purchasing colored caliper covers for my 2011 XF Premium non supercharged from MGP. They make covers especially for the model. Anyone have experience with these? Any downside to installing them other than the fact they aren't cheap?
Give 'em a shot and post pics. I doubt they'll have any adverse effects on your brakes. Just stay ofF the Autobahn and you'll be fine.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Happy the society whose deepest divisions are ones of style."
Mckay, Peter

Last edited by jaguny; 07-23-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so in this post today are the specs for the XF-S and XFR brakes
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2011-a-78734/

They are the same - so why won't the Red Caliper Cover options for the R fit on the Supercharged?

Can any of the techs look this up to see if they will work?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
The yellow and red were originally used to advertise the money you wasted on carbon ceramic brakes for your street car. Technically useless actually, racing brakes for the street. Why one would advertise one's own foolishness in that way is hard to understand.
But Ceramic pads on the street keep you from having to wash your wheels every other day and they do not perform much differently once they are hot than regular pads. I have them on ever car and truck in my list... My wheels never looked so good