XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cannot set parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cannot set parking brake

After disconnecting my battery I get the message apply brake and set brake while trying I get nothing. My selector got wet if that helps diagnose anything. Help

Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Shannon,

I'm assuming that nothing happens when you pull the park brake lever, no indicator light in the instrument cluster and/or messages, correct?

Did you check the 5A Fuse in the Passenger fuse box (F22) and the manual disconnect under the silver strip cover before the console compartment?

I have had the manual disconnect not properly lock into place if I was not careful replacing after disengaging it. It then does not allow use of the park brake until it is properly secured. The fuse is usually the first thing I check for electrical but in this case I think a message pops up that there is a EBD Fault but I can't remember off the top of my head . I would check the Fuse 22 just to be certain.

The following users liked this post:
Shannon R (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Default Cannot set parking brake

At first it tells me to apply brake and set parking brake then when I try to it tells me cannot set parking brake. While driving it continuously beeps ( low tone)

Old 10-31-2017, 01:30 PM

Forgive me but I should have asked before.

What is the make and year of your car?

Is the warning light illuminated all the time? (The brake drum image on the dash.... even though they are all discs)

Is the warning message red or amber?

If it chimes all the time when driving, this is more common to an active on Electric Park Brake.

Did you have any work done on the car, say pads replaced?

Are you finding battery issues or potential low battery?

Have you checked the fuse? (F22 of XF) (I know the passenger fuse panel is the most awkward to check)

IS this similar to your problem?https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-177597/

Last edited by kkurulak; 10-31-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added link to similar post
Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 PM

2009 xf sc. I changed brake pads. Fairly new battery. Rear brakes doesn’t seem to be ingaged. Haven’t checked fuse yet.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Did you remove or change rear brake discs? The parking brake system is inside those - you have to crank it out and in when you remove and replace rotors.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

As in the X350 series, if the battery has been disconnected for a long time, the parking brake has to be reset - you will be guided through the procedures by the dash messages. Did you miss any steps when resetting the parking brakes? If so, try disconnecting the battery for like 20 minutes and then start again. If this does not work, then there might be some issues with your brakes such as dirts blocking signals, loose wires, poorly fitted pad, or a dying parking brake actuator (expensive!). Suggest while you wait after disconnecting the battery, clean your brakes and see if that would sort your problem.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 PM

Tried disconnecting battery pulling fuse still not working. I’m thinking the selector getting wet from a partially open sun roof is causing the problem. Going in for service Monday anticipating a shifter changeout

Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

That would be another issue - water seeping down the selector rod and causing unknown damage to connectors, wires, electronics, sensors, etc. which are otherwise dry always down under.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Sorry Shannon but I had to travel for a week. I noticed that you planned to take the car to the shop. What was determined?

Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Selector module was bad and started went bad had both replaced. Now my check English me light is on hopefully with a couple engine cycles it will go out. Selector module new $1000 new starter $700

Old 11-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Ouch.... When you said earlier that the controller got wet, I was thinking of the multitude times I spilled coffee and survived. It must have really got soaked.

Was this repair done at a dealership or third party? Although I have had other vehicles that would without explanation reset the check engine light, I'm pretty sure the Jag will need to be physically reset.

Question: I see that you do some work on your car yourself, do you run any diagnostic software such as JLR SDD? Do you have a hand held unit or do you use the XF reset procedure?

I'm sure this is posted else where on the forum but too lazy to look right now.

Can someone else confirm please!

(I can't remember if the car has to be on first or completely off, I have tried so many times with all different options that I'm not sure any more and just reset in JLR SDD)

1, Press and hold the fog lamp switch
2. Press the start button without applying the brake.
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch.
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch and at same time (Or as quick as possible) press and hold the rear fog lamp switch.
5.Keep holding until the display "resseting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
(This takes a really long time and has to be done perfectly, I have to try several times before it works)
6.Release the trip button and fog lamp switch, turn the ignition off.