XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Castrol and Jaguar are ripping us off

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

It is very important to use the correct oil in these new engines:5W 20 meeting the required API specification. Using Castrol is a no brainer because Jaguar recommends it.

The 4.2 is a very old design using a much older API spec. The 5.0 (and new 3.0 V6 SC) are up o date and the latest API spec oil of the correct viscosity MUST be used. Your warranty ill be voided if you make a mistake and fill with the wrong spec oil. Jaguar will win that one hands down.

Jaguar also recommend Dunlop or Pirelli tires but also fit Continentals at the factory! However, using oil of the correct specification is very important but tire brands are not.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,169 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
...The 5.0 (and new 3.0 V6 SC) are up o date and the latest API spec oil of the correct viscosity MUST be used. Your warranty ill be voided if you make a mistake and fill with the wrong spec oil. Jaguar will win that one hands down.
Actually, even "latest API spec" might not be the ticket. According to the contribution by JimGoose:

V8 Petrol engines:
SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar specification WSS
M2C925-A only.
Don't see a mention of API spec in there. Now, they may be equivalent ... but unless it says WSS M2C925-A or the equivalency can be established, the lawyer's client is out of luck.

As mentioned though, it is just not Castrol. At least one equivalent has been mentioned in this thread.

Of course, outside of warranty coverage, all bets are off.

And for those who are in warranty, and getting oil changes included for free ... having Jaguar tell the dealer that they *must* use Castrol's latest and greatest isn't really a bad thing either.

Last edited by plums; 04-09-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

All oil sold in North America will have an API spec. But, your point is well taken. This is why it is just a no brainer to use Jaguar recommended oil. What's the price difference between the recommended Castrol and the cheapest available oil meeting the required spec? $1 a quart? $2? So, less than $20 per sump for one year of motoring in a +$50K car. Really? We're debating this?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,169 Likes on 1,613 Posts

All oil sold in North America will have an API spec.
Well of course, that is a given and not in dispute. But as any lawyer knows the exact wording in print makes the result more certain. You also know that educating a judge or jury on the finer points of API spec versus "Jaguar specification WSS M2C925-A" is bound to result in pain, confusion and big bills.

On the other hand, if the bottle also says "Jaguar specification WSS M2C925-A", the result is *almost* a forgone conclusion.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,810 Likes on 7,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
An OEM can and frequently does require that fluids meet a certain spec. The DOT rating of brake fluid and octane rating of fuel are two common examples. If a car is damaged as a direct result of unsuitable/non approved spec. fluids being substituted, they're well within their rights to deny warranty.

Right !

It seems that Jaguar simply requires the use of oil meeting a certain spec, as mentioned above by jimgoose. This oil seems to be offered by atleast one other manufacturer, not just Castrol.

Right!

What's the big panic?

No panic on my part, that's for sure :-).

As I've mentioned in other posts this seems to be a fairly isolated situation regarding one distributor stepping out of line.

In any case, who here has had *actual experience* with Jaguar denying a warranty claim specifically because of the type of oil used? Let's have a show of hands. Hopefully some guys with recent dealer experience will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 04-10-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

All oil sold in North America will have an API spec. But, your point is well taken. This is why it is just a no brainer to use Jaguar recommended oil. What's the price difference between the recommended Castrol and the cheapest available oil meeting the required spec? $1 a quart? $2? So, less than $20 per sump for one year of motoring in a +$50K car. Really? We're debating this?

It really isn't about some owners being cheap. It's about car manufacturers *requiring* a specific *brand name* lubricant.

As it turns out they apparently can't, and this appears to be a rather isolated thing involving just Jaguar France.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd probably be voided back to the Stone Age for all of the mods I've made to my sled at just 15K miles, if they were so inclined. But, it's been a non-issue for me, so far. I've had it in for several minor issues which were covered under the warranty and not so much as an eyebrow was raised by either dealer (not that any of my mods could've cause the issues, but still). And, they're certainly very well aware of what I've done to my car, because every time I've had it at the dealer, a few of the techs will come out to look it over, talk to me about it, and some have even gone for a ride with me. So, unless they're taking detailed notes and pictures of my mods every time I take it in, in the off chance that I have some catastrophic warranty-related issue in the future where they need to leverage that information, I feel pretty good about everything. If anything, I hope they're relaying some of what they see back to Jaguar corporate about what owners/enthusiasts are doing to "improve" their cars/babies.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

No surprise there. A dealer can't deny warranty for a failed power window motor because the owner used a non-approved engine oil. There's no connection between the two. However if the engine went bang and non-standard parts were found, that's a different story.

My SWMBO administered warranty claims at a major aviation engine OEM. That's where we met in fact. It was not rare to see cases where aftermarket parts had grenaded causing well over $1m in damages, yet the owner still expected the OEM to pay up.

In re-reading this entire post (I'm bored) it sounds more and more like a case of sour grapes on the part of the OP. His inndy shop is having a hard time making a buck doing oil changes cause Jag won't cut him a deal.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

My experiences in managing dealership service and parts departments (none Jaguar, I admit) is that manufacturers seldom (never, in my *personal* experience) go to the mat over oil *specification* and certainly never oil *brand*.

If there's an engine failure caused by obvious abuse (like racing) and gross neglect (like no oil changes, *ever*) or water ingestion (off-roading, or a flood) then there's a good chance the warranty will be turned down.

IOW, if it isn't something obvious and flagrant they just don't wanna "go there". That's my experience with Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet, Chrysler/Jeep, Hyundai, Subaru, Suzuki, Hyundai...... :-).

Cheers
DD

Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reaxions
I'd probably be voided back to the Stone Age for all of the mods I've made to my sled at just 15K miles, if they were so inclined. But, it's been a non-issue for me, so far. I've had it in for several minor issues which were covered under the warranty and not so much as an eyebrow was raised by either dealer (not that any of my mods could've cause the issues, but still). And, they're certainly very well aware of what I've done to my car, because every time I've had it at the dealer, a few of the techs will come out to look it over, talk to me about it, and some have even gone for a ride with me. So, unless they're taking detailed notes and pictures of my mods every time I take it in, in the off chance that I have some catastrophic warranty-related issue in the future where they need to leverage that information, I feel pretty good about everything. If anything, I hope they're relaying some of what they see back to Jaguar corporate about what owners/enthusiasts are doing to "improve" their cars/babies.

I wager you're a very nice guy :-) They have no interest is pi**ing you off. It's quite easy to turn a blind eye to minor....um...discrepancies.

If you had a bad attitude they might well go out of their way to find reasons to deny coverage :-)

Cheer
DD

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I was in for oil change on my 10 SC today. This is pretty special oil and filter! Cost is $270 for a freaking oil change. Its my second at the dealer and last one at that cost!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cwood
I was in for oil change on my 10 SC today. This is pretty special oil and filter! Cost is $270 for a freaking oil change. Its my second at the dealer and last one at that cost!
I feel for you. If I were you I'd find a good indy mechanic.

I just got an oil change and a brake fluid flush on my 09 non SC yesterday at an all in cost of $215.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cwood
Should be half that even with fully synthetic and including the usual BS "vehicle check"

Old 03-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Guys I am desperately trying to find this Castrol Oil..if you know some place that sells it please do tell.

This oil is essential, because what they have done is built an engine with tolerances and high heat that absolutely calls for this viscosity and durability. Watch this video of what happens to the same viscosity from a different manufacturer.

The part that is a scam is castrol not selling this to the rest of us. That should be illegal. I am sure we have some antitrust laws that prohibit giving one retailer absolute exclusivity.

P.s. I am a serious oil guy, consider Mobil 1 junk, and I am being forced to use Castrol

Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Dont forget why Jaguar is recommending this oil in the first place- with GDI and very limited oil flow, they have a serious cleaning problem. Oil and Gas that normally cleans the engine, does not in the 5.0 and worse the tight engine, especially supercharged, has a tendency to allow oil to cake up as you see in the video above.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I used to bring Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Castrol Edge Titanium (interchangeably, depending upon availability), as well as K&N filters, to the Jag dealer when I had to pay for my own oil changes in my '09 XFS (oil changes are included in my complimentary service for my '11 XFR). The best oil/filters the dealer had weren't as good as either of them (debatable, I know), and I didn't mind paying a little extra for the difference in the products. It was probably overkill, but I didn't care. I then compared the Castrol that the dealer was putting into my car when I got my '11 XFR, which was mandated by Jaguar, and remember distinctly thinking that the Jaguar-mandated Castrol was a step down from the "top of the line" oils I'd been using; Castrol Edge Titanium and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. But, I'm not willing to basically throw away the Jaguar-mandated Castrol they're putting into my car for "free", just to pay for whatever benefit the top of the line oil provides. I also paid for my own oil changes in between the complimentary oil changes on my XFR, because I own the car, drive it hard, and don't mind paying a few hundred bucks every 5K miles or whatever for added peace of mind. And, now that I've just completed my last complimentary oil change, I'll go back to the top of the line oils again, still in half of the recommended intervals.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

The oil that Jaguar recommended for the 2014 supercharged 5.0 in my F-Type was Castrol SLX not Castrol Edge. The SLX is now discontinued. The difference is the SLX is both A/1-B/1 and A/5-B/5 rated. The A/5-B/5 specification is the high performance spec. The only oil I have found that meets the original A/5-B/5 spec is Motul Specific 925B. I tried to order some of the Motul and it is not distributed in the U.S. So, as of right now, I have not found any source of correct oil, including the dealer. My temporary solution is to use the Castrol Edge and change the oil much more frequently and/or order the Motul Specific 925B on EBay U.K. Apparently it is very difficult to meet the A/5-B/5 spec in a 5-20. Castrol Edge 5-30 meets it and is available at the dealer but I do not want to change viscosity while under warranty.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Guys I am desperately trying to find this Castrol Oil..if you know some place that sells it please do tell.

This oil is essential, because what they have done is built an engine with tolerances and high heat that absolutely calls for this viscosity and durability. Watch this video of what happens to the same viscosity from a different manufacturer.
Castrol EDGE vs BMW 5W30 oils contest - YouTube

The part that is a scam is castrol not selling this to the rest of us. That should be illegal. I am sure we have some antitrust laws that prohibit giving one retailer absolute exclusivity.

P.s. I am a serious oil guy, consider Mobil 1 junk, and I am being forced to use Castrol
You seem to be making a career of bringing old, dead threads back to life.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Moss Magnusen act protects us from that kind BS, Ferrari tried that same BS year ago with some $90 per qt. Shell oil. And GM was trying to it do more recently with their Dexos oil. But basically if they want to tie you to one spec oil, that only the manufacturer can provide, the manufacturer has to buy it for you..lol

Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,319 Posts

About two weeks ago I spent many hours on the interwebz researching the correct engine oil for my XFR.
Initially everything pointed to only one oil meeting the required Ford M2C925-A spec - Castrol Edge Professional A1 5W-30. Surprise surprise, this is the oil used by Jaguar dealers. But of course it is simply unavailable in Oz other than by going to a Jaguar dealer for an oil change and being charged an exorbitant amount for the privilege.
But after some more research I discovered another 5W-20 oil which meets Ford M2C925-A which is freely available in Oz, and which just happened to be my favourite brand - Penrite. Apparently it's a recent release from Penrite. See here: ENVIRO+ 5W-20 (Full Synthetic)
I then located a local auto parts store which sells it, and promptly bought 2 x 5 litres bottles for AU$60 a bottle, which I suspect is a lot less than the Castrol brew would have cost me had I been able to buy it.
Point is, this Penrite oil should be available in North America, see here: North America Stockist - Penrite Oil

Quick Reply: Castrol and Jaguar are ripping us off