XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Do the doors auto-lock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Do the doors auto-lock?

Does the XF have a feature to have the doors automatically lock when you walk away from it? Or do you have to manually lock it yourself?

Second, is there a feature that automatically moves the seat back and/or steering column up when you shut it off?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2010 XF Premium. You must lock the doors before you leave the car. The steering column up/down, in/out control has a position that automatically moves the wheel up when you open the drivers door. There is no provision to automatically move the seats when you open the door to facilitate ingress or egress (not that this is a good idea since this may cause a seat to crush a rear occupant's feet if the driver exited the vehicle whilst there was a rear seat passenger).

Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Keyless entry and exit is an option on luxury premium and higher trim. On luxury trim you must lock the doors yourself.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Sorry, I probably should have been clearer in my response. When you exit the vehicle (XF Premium), you can keep the key in your pocket and press the external button next to the door handle on any of the four doors to lock the doors. What it will not do is automatically lock the doors as you walk away from the vehicle as I have seen some other manufacturer's vehicles do (I believe this function is an option of some Kias, for example).

So called keyless operation allows you to enter the car, start it and lock by pressing the external button next to the door handles with the key in your pocket and does not require you to use the physical key. If you lose the battery then you can use a key to enter the car via a pry off cover next to the door handle on the drivers side and then insert the fob into a slot on the lower right on the dashboard. Inductive coupling allows the key to function while in the slot even if the battery is flat/discharged.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Some keyless entry systems do not require that you touch the car either when entering or leaving. Corvette has such a system.

If the electric locks fail there is an aluminum conventional key in the end of the fob which will open the car or trunk lock mechanically.

The docking port to use for the fob if the car won't recognize the key in your pocket is to the left of the steering wheel low in the dashboard near the knee protection, for LHD cars.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Thanks Jagular, my poor proof reading again. The slot is on the lower left of the dashboard for left hand drive vehicles (living in the US, you would think I would know that!!).

Old 10-29-2010, 03:22 PM

On my XF it will automatically lock after a certain period of time. I have tested this because when I walk away and come back later, the security alarm light is activated and walked up to the door without the keyfob to see if it was locked. It was locked however the alarm went off (which is really annoying). The dealership told me the automatic lock function has to be enabled in the security settings. Apparently it comes turned off by default.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by woodyp
on my xf it will automatically lock after a certain period of time. I have tested this because when i walk away and come back later, the security alarm light is activated and walked up to the door without the keyfob to see if it was locked. It was locked however the alarm went off (which is really annoying). The dealership told me the automatic lock function has to be enabled in the security settings. Apparently it comes turned off by default.
and can be accessed in the touch scrren

Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks for this. I have learned something new. Had not discovered that it would automatically lock after some period of time (if configured to do so). Not sure if I will enable it but useful to know.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:59 PM

On my XF it will automatically lock after a certain period of time. I have tested this because when I walk away and come back later, the security alarm light is activated and walked up to the door without the keyfob to see if it was locked. It was locked however the alarm went off (which is really annoying). The dealership told me the automatic lock function has to be enabled in the security settings. Apparently it comes turned off by default.
There is no automatic lock feature. There is "passive arming" but it does not lock the doors. All it does is arm the alarm. I don't see the point of even having passive arming if it doesn't lock the doors. Oh well.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM

It does lock after a certain amount of time, I have tested this by having someone walk up and try to open the door. It is always locked, however the alarm comes on until which is annoying.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

It does lock after a certain amount of time, I have tested this by having someone walk up and try to open the door. It is always locked, however the alarm comes on until which is annoying.
Nope, doesn't auto-lock. I just tried it.

Set Passive Arming on and left the car alone for over an hour. Walked up to it without the fob and opened the door. It was not locked and the alarm went off.

Manual even says "car does not automatically lock".

I have a 2010 XF SuperCharged if that makes any difference.

The passive arming option makes no sense with out auto-locking.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

The only "auto lock" function occurs if you unlock the car but do not open a door or trunk lid. The after 30 seconds or so the car will re-lock itself. This is very handy f you are in the habit of accidentally pushing the wrong button on the remote as you walk away.

The passive arming is perhaps for use when picknicking out of sight of the car with a child or pet left in the car with all the windows open.... I cannot figure out why anyone would want to use that feature.

Or, perhaps it is intended for those who like to leave the car unlocked in the garage but would like the alarm to set itself. I thought of that but then immediately thought of the probability of forgetting this feature and setting the alarm off every morning....

It's a mystery.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
The only "auto lock" function occurs if you unlock the car but do not open a door or trunk lid. The after 30 seconds or so the car will re-lock itself. This is very handy f you are in the habit of accidentally pushing the wrong button on the remote as you walk away.

The passive arming is perhaps for use when picknicking out of sight of the car with a child or pet left in the car with all the windows open.... I cannot figure out why anyone would want to use that feature.

Or, perhaps it is intended for those who like to leave the car unlocked in the garage but would like the alarm to set itself. I thought of that but then immediately thought of the probability of forgetting this feature and setting the alarm off every morning....

It's a mystery.
Story of my life. Open it all the time and off goes the alarm. Is this only because my fob is not near me??

Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought you could set it where it auto-locks after 30 secs. I'm pretty sure my car does that. I usually press the button but I have closed the door and watched it lock itself. I'm going to have to try that again just to make sure. But I thought that was a feature you could turn on and off.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

It'll lock if you press the unlock button on your fob and then take no action after 30 seconds, but as far as I know there is no auto-lock feature for exiting the car, I wish there was as I always seem to forget to lock my car.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 880 Posts

My 2012 model auto locked, at least when I was driving. It was irritating beyond belief, so I switched it off through the settings.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Update. what happens if you don't lock the door is, the car will set the alarm after 30secs but not lock. so someone could open the door but the alarm will go off.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't think that's the case, if I go out to my car right now I can open the doors or trunk without my key in hand and it will not set off the alarm.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
I don't think that's the case, if I go out to my car right now I can open the doors or trunk without my key in hand and it will not set off the alarm.
Neogod has the passive alarm function enabled. Indeed, with the passive alarm function enabled, the alarm sets automatically after about 30 seconds when all the doors are shut and no key fob is inside the vehicle. The doors remain unlocked but the fuel door locks. If the doors or trunk are opened and no key fob is near the vehicle, the alarm will activate. MY 2009 MY allowed owner enabling of the passive alarm funtion. For the 2012 MY, only the dealer can enable it. Don't know about the 2010 and 2011 MYs. This function provides protection in the event that someone forgets to lock the car. It can also be deliberately used for areas subject to theft attempts of car contents to eliminate forced-entry vehicle damage.

Last edited by Jerry S; 03-07-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Do the doors auto-lock?