XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Doing the big plastic replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebirmingham

Did you by chance change out this plastic on the water pump. Mine keeps leaking. It is not the hose but the plastic that the hose fits into

Yes, that gets replaced with the parts above. I replaced the water pump too, so it's all new. I didn't want to leave any of the original plastic in there because it all turns brittle.

I am still enjoying worry-free driving of my XF's while watching all the blow engine threads from cooling system plastic failures.

For those that are just replacing the pieces that are breaking, you're going to find out the hard way that the others will break and you could lose your engine which equals losing your car considering the cost of an engine replacement will likely cost more than another XF.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 10-14-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

What would you estimate it costs in total in parts to do all this? And how many hours of labour? I could imagine this would be a great service for an Indy to offer (honestly maybe even a dealer if total labour hours not too crazy). Mine has been perfect but given age (2010) I would pay a reasonable amount to get the whole lot done...

Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

I think it was about $1500 in parts, including the water pump. I went with all OEM Jag parts from discount suppliers like parts.com, ebay, and some dealer items. It would have been much more if I just walked up to the counter at the Jag dealer for everything.

My hours included cleaning the intake valves, which eats a lot of time. I did it over 2 days per XF, and it was somewhere between 10-15 hours total of pretty hard labor for each car.

Not a cheap job when done right. If I were taking it to a mechanic, I would be worried that they would skip steps on purpose to speed things up but still charge you. It's nearly impossible to see the rear crossover pipe without dismantling a lot of parts, and it's a real pain to do, so how are you going to know if they really replaced it? Or if they really bothered to clean the intake valves? It would take almost as much work to check their work than it would be to do the work yourself.

And you would be hard pressed to pin anything on them down the road if something fails that they didn't change. Mechanics can really increase their profits by cutting corners that customers can't check. I would set up inspection points along the process (examine the rear crossover off the car, examine the valves cleaned before reassembling engine, etc.)

Last edited by lotusespritse; 10-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is super, super helpful. Thank you!

Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to replace these parts?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bommerts
Out of curiosity, what made you decide to replace these parts?
Reading about others losing their engines for not replacing these parts.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job. I have the 2011 XJL 5.0 Non SC and I have heard this particular outlet pipe behind the engine breaches and leaks and notorius on these cars and low and behold I think I am having that problem losing a little coolant now as nothing is leaking from up front. Would you happen to know if this is the same exact procedure and setup is the same as my XJL. Hopefully all I have to do is remove the upper manifold and replace that pipe part myself in the back.. NO WAY taking it to the dealership..

Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Are you sure it's not the water pump itself. They are also a weak point.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I hear water pumps are known for going out frequently on the XJL's but no leaks at the front of engine where the pump is and I cant see any leaks anywhere else so I'm assuming its the back pipes behind the engine, 4 people have brought this up so until I do more research I'm thinking that's what it is, besides I always smell coolant when i get out of the car

Old 11-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

The rear crossover is just as much a liability as the front crossover pipe. A lot of people think if they replace the front crossover pipe, they are good to go. But the reality is there's a lot of other plastic to fail, and once one piece goes, you should know that others could go soon. That's why it's better to just do them all, and while you're doing them, take that opportunity to switch to waterless coolant to eliminate the pressure in the system that puts stress on the plastic and the seals for the water pump.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I will be posting up what it takes to replace all the plastic in the cooling system on an XF. I am starting on my Gray 2011 XF, but I plan to do the same with my White XF.

Let's just say, this job could break the spirit of the most die-hard DIYer!

Replacing the heater crossover behind the engine was not easy, but if the front crossover fails, it's just a matter of more time before the rear one fails, so for me it had to be done.

And now I am seeing the effects of direct injection on dirty intake valves, so that will add another evening of work to the project at a minimum!
I know this is an old thread. I'm trying to figure out how you got to the bolts on the rear cross over pipe. Did you take the windshield wipers and the cowling off?

Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the cowls must come out and it is still very tight in there...

Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Fisher
Yes, the cowls must come out and it is still very tight in there...
I ended up getting it without taking off the wiper and cowls. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get them apart. It was a TERRIBLE job without the access that the cowls would have afforded. haha

Old 12-02-2021, 04:02 PM
Default Jaguar XF 2012

I will be posting up what it takes to replace all the plastic in the cooling system on an XF. I am starting on my Gray 2011 XF, but I plan to do the same with my White XF.

Let's just say, this job could break the spirit of the most die-hard DIYer!

Replacing the heater crossover behind the engine was not easy, but if the front crossover fails, it's just a matter of more time before the rear one fails, so for me it had to be done.

And now I am seeing the effects of direct injection on dirty intake valves, so that will add another evening of work to the project at a minimum!

Would you know the part number of name of these 2 components on a Jaguar XF 2012. I need to replace these according to my mechanic. Thanks

Old 12-05-2021, 04:24 PM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lalo418

Would you know the part number of name of these 2 components on a Jaguar XF 2012. I need to replace these according to my mechanic. Thanks
Are you pointing to the two circular objects? If so I'm pretty sure those are part of the valve cover.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,125 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by VicVegas84
Are you pointing to the two circular objects? If so I'm pretty sure those are part of the valve cover.
They are the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valves.

The following users liked this post:
VicVegas84 (12-05-2021)
Old 01-08-2022, 07:27 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

It took a lot longer than I thought it would for me to get around doing my second XF. I am about 70% done after doing some on Saturday and a lot on Sunday.

I almost forgot what a pain in the *ss this job is! That rear cross over pipe is true torture, and that is if you have the right tools for the job!

I bought a little 1/4" ratchet that turns when you spin the handle and that helped a lot, but still wasn't fun.

I have 2 of the 8 intakes cleaned. Some aren't as bad as the others which is interesting considering they are all breathing the same air and no fuel.

After I clean the valves, I just need to put everything together, which is quick.

It is very nice knowing the plastic is all fresh and new water pump, pulleys, and belt. Will be good to go for another 5 years, and I am sure I will have sold them by then.

Using 1/4 inch ratchet with spinning handle is the key Thanks

Old 01-20-2022, 12:05 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Love this thread!

Old 10-21-2022, 04:40 PM
Default 2011 xf

hey my 2011 lost coolant but didnt run hot it's all over the engine before it happen i was smelling coolant idk wat it could be

Old 10-27-2023, 04:49 PM
Default How can u get to those 4 screws on the crossover?

It took a lot longer than I thought it would for me to get around doing my second XF. I am about 70% done after doing some on Saturday and a lot on Sunday.

I almost forgot what a pain in the *ss this job is! That rear cross over pipe is true torture, and that is if you have the right tools for the job!

I bought a little 1/4" ratchet that turns when you spin the handle and that helped a lot, but still wasn't fun.

I have 2 of the 8 intakes cleaned. Some aren't as bad as the others which is interesting considering they are all breathing the same air and no fuel.

After I clean the valves, I just need to put everything together, which is quick.

It is very nice knowing the plastic is all fresh and new water pump, pulleys, and belt. Will be good to go for another 5 years, and I am sure I will have sold them by then.

What was the ratchet that you used

Quick Reply: Doing the big plastic replacement!