XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Is ecu worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I don't know why you say the 175 is a better built car than the standard XKR. I sold my 175 because it is just that standard with a cosmetic body kit and the speed limiter set at 174--that's it. No suspension upgrade like the European 75. Not even close to the XKR-S or GT.

The 2012-14 XKR with the dynamic pack (XKR-S suspension and tweaking) and performance exhaust is a much better performance car, closer to the XKR-S, than the US marketed 175. The guy in the video is on crack he doesn't know what he is talking about and needs to do his research before making such a video.

Last edited by DGL; 07-31-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I've done the Mina pulley swap and ECUTG tune (in addition to K&N panel drop-ins and custom Xpipe/free-flow exhaust) to my '11 XFR and have loved it. I haven't had it dyno'd because I can't really see a reason to do it. I've "chipped" 3 previous cars and never had them dyno'd, either, but clearly I've liked the results or I wouldn't keep doing it. If anyone is skeptical, the answer is simple; don't do it. For me, I'm really happy I did it and would do it again in a second. I'm actually considering it for my '12 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (same Supercharged 5.0L engine), but I don't really drive it as hard as my XFR, so 510 HP sort of seems like enough for it (sort of).

The following 2 users liked this post by Reaxions:
BigCat09 (08-01-2013), DGL (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by DGL
I don't know why you say the 175 is a better built car than the standard XKR. I sold my 175 because it is just that standard with a cosmetic body kit and the speed limiter set at 174--that's it. No suspension upgrade like the European 75. Not even close to the XKR-S or GT.

The 2012-14 XKR with the dynamic pack (XKR-S suspension and tweaking) and performance exhaust is a much better performance car, closer to the XKR-S, than the US marketed 175. The guy in the video is on crack he doesn't know what he is talking about and needs to do his research before making such a video.

My comment based upon my angle from owning a XF SC and a XFR. So I was using them to compare those to, not the entire XK platform. BTW my 155 limit is the same 175 as the rest. ETG apologized for claiming the removed it totally and is looking for a fix to lift it off completely. But who really is going to make enough power to use it above 200 mph anyway. EGT's will get so high trying you risk damage, downforce is another issue, but the RPM and gearing seems to be there as I did the 175 very easy and quickly many times over. I am sorry if I was inaccurate a lil since I was giving my point of view.

The following users liked this post:
MobileAVC (08-01-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am interested, but for $2000 I should be able to reflash the car any time I need to. That is basic for computer tunes on most cars, on my Mustang and Trans Ams, I flash and it reads the numbers from the car and imprints that into the program so it is now locked on that one car. I do not like the idea that I take the car in for service and the dealer reflashes the car due to a service bulletin an I have to pay another $1600 to get back what I had? I don't think so.

Once they get to a place where I do not have to worry about service trips, I will go with their tune

Redjaguar100 (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 2010
I am interested, but for $2000 I should be able to reflash the car any time I need to. That is basic for computer tunes on most cars, on my Mustang and Trans Ams, I flash and it reads the numbers from the car and imprints that into the program so it is now locked on that one car. I do not like the idea that I take the car in for service and the dealer reflashes the car due to a service bulletin an I have to pay another $1600 to get back what I had? I don't think so.

Once they get to a place where I do not have to worry about service trips, I will go with their tune

Raven makes a valid point. I remember back in late 2010 or early 2011 models when tech's where just going into the system and shuting off the voice system and the paddle shifts in "D" mode without the owners consent when they brought there cars in for service. I believe it was some sort of recall from Jag at the time. I could imagine just paying 2 grand only to have it null & void by my nexts service trip. All in All, I really like the idea of having it done because I have seen the gains in other member cars but just like life, Its a gamble.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure which ECU flash you gents are talking about, but if it's the flash from ETG Tuning Group, they will reflash twice for free, according to the owner.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
Not sure which ECU flash you gents are talking about, but if it's the flash from ETG Tuning Group, they will reflash twice for free, according to the owner.
We want a report of your tune experience...

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
Yes, and then after twice, I pay another $2k? I have all my service done at the dealer, so anytime I go in there it could get flashed. I do not understand wy a supposedly high tech company cannot write into the code to read and register the VIN for the particular car and then you could reflash any time vback on the original car... again, the $400 flashes for Mustangs and Trans Ams can do it, why not a $2k one?

DGL (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 2010
Yes, and then after twice, I pay another $2k? I have all my service done at the dealer, so anytime I go in there it could get flashed. I do not understand wy a supposedly high tech company cannot write into the code to read and register the VIN for the particular car and then you could reflash any time vback on the original car... again, the $400 flashes for Mustangs and Trans Ams can do it, why not a $2k one?
I agree. This is what will keep me from getting this tune no matter how great it is. On my vette I invested in a $350 tuner and a couple hundred for a tune which I then owned and could reapply as needed.

DGL (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RoswellJAG
I agree. This is what will keep me from getting this tune no matter how great it is. On my vette I invested in a $350 tuner and a couple hundred for a tune which I then owned and could reapply as needed.
+1

Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
We want a report of your tune experience...
Initial report is on the XKR page now.

Although it must be idle curiosity on your part, since this 2 re-flash limit thing apparently takes you out of the market....

Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ssions-100027/

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

After 2 free re-flashes, you just have to pay for shipping of the laptop for subsequent needs. And, while it's certainly not ideal, it's really still the best option out there.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Reaxions
After 2 free re-flashes, you just have to pay for shipping of the laptop for subsequent needs. And, while it's certainly not ideal, it's really still the best option out there.

Like you said... not ideal, but that would be liveable

Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I have watched that video before several time...it is great for sure.

The 6-Speed ZF is one of the concerns I had, as far as HP increases and how they could affect the transmission. I would love to know what the magic number is that may cause failure in the ZF.

If Jags would have got back with me I would have probably gone for it. I was encouraged after speaking with him.
The Transmission in the XF and XF-Supercharged cars (both 4.2 SFI and 5.0 DI engines) is the ZF 6HP26. This transmission is officially rated for up to 443 lb-ft (600Nm).

I believe the XF-R, XF-RS and XKR cars have the 6HP28 transmission which is rated to 553 lb-ft (750 Nm).

Horsepower is irrelevant to a transmission. All that matters is the input torque and not exceeding the maximum shift speed (which is 7000 rpm for both).

The chances of you grenading a transmission because you exceeded the torque rating by a bit is essentially zero. However, shifting at higher torque loads will increased wear to the wet clutch plates and may shorten the life of the transmission. A lot of the rating has to do with longevity and very little to do with the catastrophic failure point which is significantly higher. If you have a car you wish to drive for 30, 40, 50000 miles you can get away with a lot of additional wear and not see any difference. But a transmission that would last 250,000 miles may start slipping at 120,000 miles if abused. Whether that is OK to you is subjective. For many tuner cars in the hands of enthusiasts, that's a perfectly OK compromise. For a manufacturer like Jaguar with a reputation to build and protect, heck no. But, if you are looking for a "magic number" there isn't one. It is not like 442 lb-ft would last 250,000 miles and 444 lb-ft will break at 100,000 miles. It doesn't work like that. It just gets progressively worse and short lived the further you stray from the manufacturer's rating. In fact, if you drive like a granny and always expose the tranny to low loads it may last 400,000 miles or whatever!

Last edited by dwight looi; 08-07-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Matt in Houston (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight looi
The Transmission in the XF and XF-Supercharged cars (both 4.2 SFI and 5.0 DI engines) is the ZF 6HP26. This transmission is officially rated for up to 443 lb-ft (600Nm).

I believe the XF-R, XF-RS and XKR cars have the 6HP28 transmission which is rated to 553 lb-ft (750 Nm).

Horsepower is irrelevant to a transmission. All that matters is the input torque and not exceeding the maximum shift speed (which is 7000 rpm for both).

The chances of you grenading a transmission because you exceeded the torque rating by a bit is essentially zero. However, shifting at higher torque loads will increased wear to the wet clutch plates and may shorten the life of the transmission. A lot of the rating has to do with longevity very little to do with the catastrophic failure point which is significantly higher. If you have a car you wish to drive for a 30, 40, 50000 miles you can get away with a lot of additional wear and not see any difference. But a transmission that would last 250,000 miles may start slipping at 120,000 miles if abused. Whether that is OK to you is subjective. For many tuner cars in the hands of enthusiasts, that's a perfectly OK compromise. For a manufacturer like Jaguar, heck no.
Thanks for the info.

Do you have a reference to the 6HP28 transmission being rated to 553 lb-ft (750 Nm)?

I found and posted in the other thread a ZF document that shows 444 ft lbs.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...28_Catalog.pdf

Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Thanks for the info.

Do you have a reference to the 6HP28 transmission being rated to 553 lb-ft (750 Nm)?

I found and posted in the other thread a ZF document that shows 444 ft lbs.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...28_Catalog.pdf
That document pertains to the 6HP26-28 (26 and 28). It may refer to the 6HP26 rating. Anyway ZF has a bad habit of not posting spec sheets on their site or anywhere. In anycase, the only source I had to go by was an old Wards Auto article dating back to when these transmissions were "new". ZF Has Latest ‘Killer App’ Transmission | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto

Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight looi
That document pertains to the 6HP26-28 (26 and 28). It may refer to the 6HP26 rating. Anyway ZF has a bad habit of not posting spec sheets on their site or anywhere. In anycase, the only source I had to go by was an old Wards Auto article dating back to when these transmissions were "new". ZF Has Latest ‘Killer App’*Transmission | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto

Thanks for the link.

I thought the last sentence of the article was also interesting...

"Although other transmission makers are producing engines with more forward speeds, ZF and other transmission experts have said automatics with more than six ratios quickly begin to reach a diminishing return for the added complexity, size and weight of advancing to more than six ratios."

Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Very cool video. Super machine.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Default Transmission Model?

To find out what model of transmission your car has go to and enter your VIN:
topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/

Quick Reply: Is ecu worth it?