XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Finally went to the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Finally went to the track

Hello Everyone,

Never had a chance to take the 2012 XFR (slightly modified) to the 1/4 mile track, since we don't have one locally to us in Calgary, AB.

Anyways, I actually set a plan in motion at the start of summer to take the 2015 Jaguar XFR-S to the 1/4 mile track, and I made it last night (track's last run for the year will be next Friday, October 6th, talk about cutting it close).

I set my best run on my first time out... It had been over 6 years since I was last at a track... and right off the bat I set a time of:
- 1st Run - 12.5s at 115+mph

I'll post all my times when I'm back at home with all my time slips...

The track that I went to, is in Edmonton Alberta, and has an elevation of 2200+ feet, and temperature was a nice 18C (64.4F)

Track Info:
Castrol Raceway

I did a quick search, and came across this factor:
http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/altitude.html

at 2200 feet multipliers are:

ET Factor is 0.9744 which takes my 12.5 to 12.18seconds
Trap Speed is 1.0269 which takes my 115 to 118.1mph

I was happy with my results, but as always I want more...

My car's setup:
  • Car is relatively stock:
    • Stock Tires (Pirrelli's 295 rear)
    • Stock XFR-S Wheels
    • Stock Exhaust
    • I do have a tune (Rica),
    • I do have a smaller top pulley (from Velocity AP)
    • K&N Air Filters
    • Mina Gallery's Intake Pipe
    • Car dyno'd 40whp over stock XFR-S setup
  • I presume my car with all my daily driver stuff, would put the car at about: ~4700lbs:
    • Curb Weight 4405lbs
    • Driver (me) ~230lbs (i'm also 6'5")
    • Trunk Mounted Aftermarket Subwoofer ~50lbs
I got a total of 5 runs in and my first and 2nd from last run were my two best runs, I did try various traction control setups (never all the way off), toggled between on, and TRAC. I found leaving DCS On was where I got the best runs in...

I think I will probably be upgrading my tires to Michellin Pilot SS, and see if that improves traction... I will say the Pirrellis on the XFR-S are way better than what the XFR came with stock, which I believe were Dunlops (I hated those tires...)

When I post my slips later you can see my reaction time and 60 foot and critique as necessary, as I am truly curious about improving these times...

Too bad, we don't have a track locally as I would probably go once a month during the summer months, but where this track is located (2.5hrs away, so a 5hr round trip) I probably won't be heading back till next summer, and maybe I'll go once all summer...

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
Datsports (09-30-2017), Leet8845 (10-04-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Pictures of the Runs. My car was number: 2549

Run #1

Run #2

Run #3

Run #4

Run #5

Run #1 was my best run @ 12.55sec and 115.36mph
Run #3 was my best trap speed @ 12.82sec and 115.53mph
Run #4 was my closest to my first @ 12.55sec and 115.33mph

The only race I lost was to a GTR which was on my 2nd run GTR posted a 12.17sec and 122.48mph

Couldn't tell you anything about the GTR, whether it was stock or not, but I actually had him off the line for a second, but then AWD traction took over, he was able to go full throttle way sooner than me and his really seemed to upon up up top...

And Run #3 was against my brother we luckily ended up lining up against each other... he drives a 2017 C43AMG (its been tuned), but it was no contest... next year their should be some interesting competition as my brother in law just bought a 2018 C63S AMG Coupe, the only reason he didn't join us, is the car is in it's break in period, he has less than 1000 miles on it. Next year that will be a fun go...

Old 09-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

cool write up! lots of details. I find it interesting that you also couldn't break the 2 second 60' barrier. it's possible that a street tire on XF can only give traction as such.. maybe a 1.9 at best case?

i ran 1/4 mile for the first time earlier this year and with my older S/C model I'm down close to 150 hp from your tuned RS. i think i did 7 runs and best 60' were similar to yours. i was running a continental DWS all season 285 rear tire and they were 25% tread remaining. best ET was 12.765 with a low 2 second 60'. MPH was 113 or 114. Elevation was 902' in upstate NY, but likely quite a bit lower than your 2,000 + feet.

I believe best launches were with TRAC DSC or trac off, but trac off brought bad wheel hop into picture on one run - really bad wheel hop..

next time i go i need to find a way to drive around water box - i think i soaked my front tires and then they wet the track for the rear tires when launching..

I'm curious - are your pirelli tires all season or more of a summer tire?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

60' times in our case are all about getting a very heavy car, with a ton of torque, moving through two tires. Wheelspin plays a very big factor and it's difficult to get under a 2 second time. I think Patrick813 was able to get under it and there are others that have said they have as well. Just not easy.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Default Back to the Track (on Friday May 18, 2018)

So I went back to the track, and like last time, my 1st run was my best run:
  • 1st Run: 11.97 @ 118.8
  • 2nd Best Run: 11.99 @ 119.49
  • 3rd Best Run: 12.00 @ 119.43

I probably got a total of eight (8) runs in, and my runs started becoming pretty consistent, either a 11.9 or a 12 flat and trapping at 119+

They lost one of my slips which I swear was my best run.

Really excited to see that the majority of my runs I managed sub 2 second 60ft.

I launched the same way every single time, which was different from my last time at the track.

I would roll up to the light tree, and break boost to about 1500rpm, and then slowly roll into throttle just before the lite turned green, my reaction time is generally pretty good...

Last time, I would roll up to the lights and simply use the electronic "E" brake to hold the car in place, and then I would slowly roll into throttle when it was time.

The big difference this time is the new tires, I can feel a huge traction gain...
305 Michellin PS4S, in lieu of my worn out 295 Pirrellis

Also these runs are with the significant bump in power and torque, thanks to the lower SC pulley

Temps were 19C (~66F), again track information:Castrol Raceway

Like last time, I used these factors to compensate for elevation:

ET Factor is 0.9744 which takes my 11.99 to 11.68 seconds
Trap Speed is 1.0269 which takes my 119.49 to 122.7 mph

Photos of the time slips

The following users liked this post:
Adam J (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by H.Jones
The big difference this time is the new tires, I can feel a huge traction gain...
305 Michellin PS4S, in lieu of my worn out 295 Pirrellis
That is good to hear because the OEM Dunlops are the weak link on my '10 XKR (with XKR-S tune).

I did 8 runs in April and my best 60 time was 2.213 due to not being able to get off the line cleanly.

Regarding reaction time, I was told to go on the last yellow which gave me a best reaction time of 0.00745 and a worst of 0.186 during my 8 runs.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

can you elaborate a bit on the launch differences between your current car with 8 speed auto vs your 2012 model with the 6 speed auto? I've not driven the newer trans, but am specifically wondering if it feels less "torque limited" in 1st 2 gears than the 6 speed. Do you think the trans is worth a few 10th's in the acceleration and the rest is the power? Also, at what speed does the trans shift into 4th gear? my 6 speed is around an indicated 105mph, so I'm barely into 4th gear before crossing finish line..

Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adam J
can you elaborate a bit on the launch differences between your current car with 8 speed auto vs your 2012 model with the 6 speed auto? I've not driven the newer trans, but am specifically wondering if it feels less "torque limited" in 1st 2 gears than the 6 speed. Do you think the trans is worth a few 10th's in the acceleration and the rest is the power? Also, at what speed does the trans shift into 4th gear? my 6 speed is around an indicated 105mph, so I'm barely into 4th gear before crossing finish line..

Hey Adam, I never took my 2012 XFR with the 6 speed to the track. I have driven it hard, but I don't have any quantifiable data to show the difference in 60 ft times, or launches, etc...

I will say that as good as I thought the 6 speed was, the 8 speed is better in every aspect. I touched on this in one of my other threads when I was doing a direct comparison of my old XFR vs the XFR-S. The gear ratios in the 8 speed make the car accelerate faster (that's for sure), and the tall gears (8th gear) on the highway yields amazing fuel economy. I get better Gas Mileage in the XFR-S than I do in my Acura ZDX (crossover), or the wife's F-Pace S.

On this trip, even with my the 8+ runs at the dragrstrip, and the constant idling, plus having fun on the highway (on the way there and back), I still averaged ~10l/100kms or 23.5mpg. My other cars will yield ~13.5l/100kms or ~17.4 mpg

Adam J (05-25-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

that is actually pretty impressive for what is effectively street trim.

who sells a lower pulley for our engine?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaeghl

At least two tuners I know of who sell the larger crank pulley and associated tune, Velocity AP and Eurotoys, check out the F-Type forum.

Kaeghl (09-28-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
At least two tuners I know of who sell the larger crank pulley and associated tune, Velocity AP and Eurotoys, check out the F-Type forum.

F-Type Forum and XK/ XKR (X150) Forum were extremely helpful. I discussed the lower pulley with both Stuart at Velocity, and Mike at Eurotoys, and they both appear to make a quality product. I ended up going with the Eurotoys option, and have no regrets of doing so... Truly an amazing upgrade.

Originally Posted by Kaeghl

As OzXFR mentioned there are two suppliers that I know of, Velocity and Eurotoys. You just have to make sure that you run a tune that matches your hardware setup.

Eurotoys (07-31-2019)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:59 PM

So on Saturday (October 6th) ended up going back to the track to see how my latest setup is working...
Final track day, before they shut her down for the winter, and the place was packed. Gates opened at 12 (noon), I didn't show up till about 2:15pm or so (as I live about 2+ hours away), and it took nearly an 1.5hrs for me to get my first run in (just how busy it was). Luckily the crowd started to thin out, and my runs started getting closer and closer together.

First run was with my current setup, see signature for details.
Horrible launch, and I only managed a 12.32 @ 119.3, see slip below:

For the second run, I switched my tune to the RICA Tune, and as I suspected (even though the Rica Tune provides better down-low torque, the top end suffers), and even though I had a better launch I ran: 12.09 @ 118.95 (faster time but lower trap speed typically means less horsepower, and better hookup/ launch), see below slip:

I got a total of 7 runs in, I won't bore you with all of them. I'll post my best two (2) below. I did the rest of the runs back with the VAP Tune

2nd Best Run (2nd all time personal best), and in my lesser preferred left lane. It had started getting cooler, and to enable me to launch better I actually started doing burnouts (something I have never done till that day), to get some heat into the tires. Run was: 12.96 @ 119.4 (Still not my fastest trap speed, but my fastest time up to now). See below slip:

My personal best ever run was my 5th of the night. I got two other ones in, but it had gotten too cold and could no longer hookup. As I did with my previous run I did a burnout, but forgot to put traction control back on, and it yielded the best run of the day (and to date). I ran: 11.95 @ 119.65 (Fastest Time and Fastest Trap Speed I have ever recorded). See below slip:

I am very happy with the results, I wish I could have broken into the 11.8's but I don't think that will happen unless I have a perfect run. I have recorded better 60 foot times with this car (I ran a 1.89 before), so who knows it could happen, only thing I can do is keep trying... Not bad for family sedan.

I will be going back to the dyno shop in the next week or two to try and get some final numbers with my current setup.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Good standing quarter times!

I am hoping to break in to the 11's in my '10 XKR when I try again at the end of the month by doing longer burnouts like you. That will hopefully help my 60 times which are all still over 2 secs.

My best result a few weeks ago was 12.1 but my fastest trap speed was 121.89.

Last edited by u102768; 10-09-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
Good standing quarter times!

I am hoping to break in to the 11's in my '10 XKR when I try again at the end of the month by doing longer burnouts like you. That will hopefully help my 60 times which are all still over 2 secs.

My best result a few weeks ago was 12.1 but my fastest trap speed was 121.89.
What elevation is your track at?

I would be very happy with your trap speed... And to think your only running a 12.1, I'm sure if you get into the 11's you'll probably be over 122mph

Old 10-10-2018, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. The track is reasonably close to the sea so only 50 meters.

While I was doing the runs I also timed them with Dash Command and found it to pretty consistently over read by 1.5 to 2mph. The reason for doing that is because I had been doing some experiments on a quiet road late one evening a month or so ago and was able to get a 126mph terminal speed so that would be an adjusted 124mph. I did a run both ways on the road to get an average reading but they were both 126 mph.

The ambient temperature was only 8 deg C and the tyres were warm that night whereas during the real drag runs the tyres would have been much colder and it was around 18 deg C. The inlet temperature was around 70 deg C while queuing up to do my run at the drag strip whereas it runs at closer to 45 deg C when the car is running normally.

My 0-110mph times that evening were also nearly a second quicker so I think the supercharger definitely loves the cool evening air!

Evening run is on the left and the drag strip run is on the right. This was a real 12.253@121.89 so the evening run was potentially around 11.7@124. It is a shame they don't do night runs at my drag strip

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
Thanks. The track is reasonably close to the sea so only 50 meters.

While I was doing the runs I also timed them with Dash Command and found it to pretty consistently over read by 1.5 to 2mph. The reason for doing that is because I had been doing some experiments on a quiet road late one evening a month or so ago and was able to get a 126mph terminal speed so that would be an adjusted 124mph. I did a run both ways on the road to get an average reading but they were both 126 mph.

The ambient temperature was only 8 deg C and the tyres were warm that night whereas during the real drag runs the tyres would have been much colder and it was around 18 deg C. The inlet temperature was around 70 deg C while queuing up to do my run at the drag strip whereas it runs at closer to 45 deg C when the car is running normally.

My 0-110mph times that evening were also nearly a second quicker so I think the supercharger definitely loves the cool evening air!

Evening run is on the left and the drag strip run is on the right. This was a real 12.253@121.89 so the evening run was potentially around 11.7@124. It is a shame they don't do night runs at my drag strip

Well that explains a lot... 50m is very different than 2200feet (~671m), that's what elevation my track is at. In my first post in this thread I provided some helpful multipliers (Copied and Pasted from above):
"I did a quick search, and came across this factor:

ET Factor is 0.9744 which takes my 11.95 to 11.64 seconds
Trap Speed is 1.0269 which takes my 119.65 to 122.87 mph"

Without a doubt the cooler temps will always help performance but its a double edged sword, as you will start to battle traction.

When I did my runs on Saturday, I showed up at the track around 2:15pm in the afternoon and it was ~13C (~56F), but when the last run was done, by just shy of 6pm it was closer to 7C (45C) and dropping fast.

I would also take the results of your "App" with a grain of salt.
Below is a snap shot of a run I recorded on an "App" device:

Here's a link of the same run on the same device:
iPhone App OBD Fusion 1/4 Mile Run

This time was recorded on the track, for this same run, I ran close to a 12 second flat, and my trap speed was considerably higher closer to 118mph

Unless you are running a "Vbox", see link: Vbox Performance Box

I would be skeptical of the results you get with any Phone "App".

Old 10-11-2018, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H.Jones
I would be skeptical of the results you get with any Phone "App".
I would agree to a point but I did 9 runs on the track and used Dash Command at the same time for each one and they were consistently between 10.5 and 10.8 secs for the 0-110 time. I also did a similar number of runs during my evening road trips and they were mainly in the 9's, the best being 9.32 secs.

I don't think the numbers are particularly accurate but the difference between track runs and evening runs seemed pretty consistent.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Have you got all the mods in order of improvement?

Old 07-28-2019, 10:25 PM

Finally went back to the track and set a new personal record.

Did a 11.91 seconds, and finally broke the 120mph barrier (120.26mph to be exact), and this was on a hot and humid day. Will try to go back in late September or early October for another run, to get better results.

The following 3 users liked this post by H.Jones:
allenman85 (07-28-2019), davetibbs (07-28-2019), u102768 (07-29-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Well today was a great day, nothing but one personal best after another...
My goal when I left my house this morning, and on the drive up (~2.5hrs one way), was to set a time less than 11.9XX, and to possibly drop into 11.7XX. The weather today was supposed to be just perfect for a racing event.
I headed out bright and early, and was at the track by ~11:30am, with a few pit stops along the way.
First run out was a new personal best, but given it was probably only 9C (~48F), I had a very hard time hooking up, and I still manged a 11.9038 @ 121.39, see below photo:

Next run was a complete, dud, only bad run of the day, was a 12.689 @ 119.78, see below snap shot (you can see it was my only bad 60', that is above 2.07secs)..., and this was against a stock F-Type R AWD, see final race:

I let out a bit of air from my rear tires, and set out to do another run, this one being a new personal best at 11.76 @ 121.00, see below snap shot:

I followed this up with two more consistent runs, one was 11.78 @ 120.84 and one was a 11.77 @ 121.03, see below back to back snap shots:

I was ready to leave, I had very consistently ran 11.76, then 11.78, then 11.77, I had done what I set out to do, but when I came around and had the option to leave or line up, I noticed it was a very short line up, so I lined up again, I let out a little more air out of my tires, I had started with 36psig, when I showed up, and dropped them to 32, then 31, then 30, then I dropped them to 29psig... I then ended up setting what would be a new personal best, and truly better than I could have expected.

I ran 11.65 @ 121.13, see below snap shot, pay particular attention to the 60', at 1.8057, I think that's my best ever...

When I was handed the time slip, I couldn't believe it, so I very quickly looked up the track conditions right at that moment, see below snap shot, for density altitude:

After that fantastic run, I was surely ready to leave on a high note, but I ended up doing one final run, only reason, was I was lining up against a 2016 F-Type R (stock AWD), vs my RWD modified XFR-S, second run of the day, and it was the only race I had lost all day, and it as due to my poor launch, I was right lane (11.69 @ 120.71), F-Type R was left (11.78 @ 120.48), closest race of the day, see below snap shot:

The following 3 users liked this post by H.Jones:
Adam J (10-15-2019), Jaaaggg (10-07-2019), u102768 (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Finally went to the track