XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fixing Parking Sensors Facelift XF 2.2d 2012

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Parking Sensors Facelift XF 2.2d 2012

My parking system stopped working on my facelift xf 2.2d earlier this year, initially it was only after it rained, but soon it was all the time. Often after the car had been parked overnight, the parking system would work for half a second in reverse and the camera would display for a split second, before the long tone of doom which switched of the whole parking system making diagnosis impossible, no matter how closely you listened to the sensors.
I enquired at the dealers who wanted £130 to plug it in plus labour plus parts so about £300 at least if it was just a sensor, £500+ if it was anything else. This seemed ridiculous so I found another way.
It was actually a faulty rear sensor that cost £25 off ebay here's how I know:
I googled the fault and using other threads online I removed the camera, dried it out, sealed it and checked all the connections,. No Luck, anyway the camera worked briefly when you turned the knob to R, a bit of a hint for those more intelligent than me.
Then I parked the car overnight with the front about a foot away from the garage door switched on the engine pressed the P switch in the overhead switch panel and the front sensors all displayed for a split second and were all working, so they were OK.
So that left the rear sensors. I removed the rear diffuser at the bottom of the bumper, again there was a helpful video on you tube, reached up inside the bumper with one hand, gently prying the bumper tabs off the sensor with my fingers while pushing on the sensor from the front with my other hand (again) Then when the sensor had popped into the bumper removed it by lifting the locking tab on the side of the wiring plug and sliding the sensor off the plug. I removed all of the sensors and checked their resistance and continuity across the 3 pins and they all seemed the same. I took the part number which is 2W 9315K 859 and is hard to read if you're old like me, this sensor also fits a Ford Kuga, Focus and numerous others and I got one off ebay for £25 from a company called ENVA. I then tried the new sensor in place of each old sensor until on the last one IT WORKED!
Confessions
I've included these in case they help someone. We all learn by our mistakes but learning by someone else's is even better
If I'm absolutely honest with the front sensors I actually removed the front drivers side sensor, you can just get at it from the top, gently push the 2 plastic bumper tabs apart that hold the sensor into the bumper, with your fingers and gently push on the front of the sensor with your other hand and it will pop out inside the bumper. I then found if I held the sensor in my hand and pushed the wiring plug with my thumb on one of the narrow sides (you can only get one hand in) it came out. I took the part number and plugged the sensor back in and put it back. I got a set of replacement sensors off ebay approx £35 removed the bumper using a you tube video to show me how, replaced the sensors by gently prying back the bumper tabs etc as before. Then realised I could see they were working anyway. Doh! I was able to send the sensors back for a refund anyway.
With the rear sensors I misread the part number and couldn't find a matching part so ordered a set of 4 C2C29377XXX I think they actually fit some early XF's and an X type . Well they looked the same and they only cost £25 for 4. They fit the car OK and better still they persuaded the Parking system ECU to make the sytem work, although they didn't actually sense anything. But they made finding the faulty sensor a doddle and would have worked even if there were multiple faulty sensors.
So in the end fixed for £25 although I've kept the C2C29377XXX sensors in case it happens again and when it does I'll start with the rear sensors as they're the easiest to get out!

Old 09-09-2023, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idontbelieveit
My parking system stopped working on my facelift xf 2.2d earlier this year, initially it was only after it rained, but soon it was all the time. Often after the car had been parked overnight, the parking system would work for half a second in reverse and the camera would display for a split second, before the long tone of doom which switched of the whole parking system making diagnosis impossible, no matter how closely you listened to the sensors.
I enquired at the dealers who wanted £130 to plug it in plus labour plus parts so about £300 at least if it was just a sensor, £500+ if it was anything else. This seemed ridiculous so I found another way.
It was actually a faulty rear sensor that cost £25 off ebay here's how I know:
I googled the fault and using other threads online I removed the camera, dried it out, sealed it and checked all the connections,. No Luck, anyway the camera worked briefly when you turned the knob to R, a bit of a hint for those more intelligent than me.
Then I parked the car overnight with the front about a foot away from the garage door switched on the engine pressed the P switch in the overhead switch panel and the front sensors all displayed for a split second and were all working, so they were OK.
So that left the rear sensors. I removed the rear diffuser at the bottom of the bumper, again there was a helpful video on you tube, reached up inside the bumper with one hand, gently prying the bumper tabs off the sensor with my fingers while pushing on the sensor from the front with my other hand (again) Then when the sensor had popped into the bumper removed it by lifting the locking tab on the side of the wiring plug and sliding the sensor off the plug. I removed all of the sensors and checked their resistance and continuity across the 3 pins and they all seemed the same. I took the part number which is 2W 9315K 859 and is hard to read if you're old like me, this sensor also fits a Ford Kuga, Focus and numerous others and I got one off ebay for £25 from a company called ENVA. I then tried the new sensor in place of each old sensor until on the last one IT WORKED!
Confessions
I've included these in case they help someone. We all learn by our mistakes but learning by someone else's is even better
If I'm absolutely honest with the front sensors I actually removed the front drivers side sensor, you can just get at it from the top, gently push the 2 plastic bumper tabs apart that hold the sensor into the bumper, with your fingers and gently push on the front of the sensor with your other hand and it will pop out inside the bumper. I then found if I held the sensor in my hand and pushed the wiring plug with my thumb on one of the narrow sides (you can only get one hand in) it came out. I took the part number and plugged the sensor back in and put it back. I got a set of replacement sensors off ebay approx £35 removed the bumper using a you tube video to show me how, replaced the sensors by gently prying back the bumper tabs etc as before. Then realised I could see they were working anyway. Doh! I was able to send the sensors back for a refund anyway.
With the rear sensors I misread the part number and couldn't find a matching part so ordered a set of 4 C2C29377XXX I think they actually fit some early XF's and an X type . Well they looked the same and they only cost £25 for 4. They fit the car OK and better still they persuaded the Parking system ECU to make the sytem work, although they didn't actually sense anything. But they made finding the faulty sensor a doddle and would have worked even if there were multiple faulty sensors.
So in the end fixed for £25 although I've kept the C2C29377XXX sensors in case it happens again and when it does I'll start with the rear sensors as they're the easiest to get out!
New member here. I wish I’d read your post before! You’re right it’s much better to learn from others mistakes. However, I’ve followed your mistakes to the letter. I just got to the part where 4 of the. 377 type sensors are ordered and on the way to my letter box but are obviously not going to work. I agree the part number is very difficult to see for an old guy! I’ve now got a young person to read the actual part number on my sensors who confirmed 2W 9315K 859 you quote are the sensors on my car. Oh well, I’ll order one of those next, just to follow you exactly!

One other thing I’ve noticed, when the camera comes on momentarily before the dreaded message to go down to get garrotted at the Jaguar dealer, a red square briefly appeared on the camera screen approximating to the position of the no 2 sensor. Barely for a second and then the dreaded ‘cameras not available etc’ message appears with a very loud beep. So when I removed the 4 sensors I repositioned sensors from 1,2,3,4 positions from left to right in 4,3,2,1. Lo and behold, the red box on the screen moved to position 3… could I presume then the sensor originally in the No 2 position and now in the No3 position is the faulty one? Wishful thinking? I, just imagining things?

Actually, I think I can beat your mistakes. I took a punt and bought the boot wiring loom. Of course that wasn’t the problem. So if anyone wants a brand new genuine Jaguar XF boot lid wiring loom, still in the genuine Jag bag, do let me know!

Old 09-13-2023, 06:39 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

If the sensors are not working it will kill the the rear camera. Pull the bumper, not a big deal, buy the sensor cable (not too expessive...