XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

front left suspension creaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default front left suspension creaking?

This is the last of the new car gremlins (I hope) i have (this is a new 2013 Jaguar XFR with about 1500 miles on it). From looking at old threads, it appears most suspension issues people have had with the XF have been with the rear, however mine is occurring with the left front suspension.

At first I noticed a clunk sound coming from the front left every morning (ie car is cold) when reversing out of my garage going over the hump from the garage to the driveway, but the car would be quiet during normal driving. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said it was most likely just a creaking bushing that is nothing to worry about.

However, this weekend I have intermittently noticed a creaking sound also coming from the front left at low-medium speeds (probably occurring at higher speeds too but not loud enough for me to hear over engine/road noise) when loading the front suspension under braking, going over speeds humps - especially at an angle, or when entering steeper driveway entrances. Ie it occurs with slower but deeper suspension travel, if that makes any sense, rather than high frequency highway speed bumps.

I emailed the dealer to see what they recommend, but figured I'd ask the community to see if anyone had experienced this already so that I can give the dealer a headsup on what to potentially focus on and minimize troubleshooting time (or unnecessary parts replacements).

Any insight greatly appreciated...

Old 04-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer had my car for the last few days while I was out of town, and they thought they had fixed it. THey reported that they used "chase ears" to narrow the sound to the sway bar, and found the left front sway bar bushing retaining strap to be loose, which they tightened, and reported that they couldn't hear the creaking anymore.

Unfortunately, after picking up the car this morning, I am still getting the identical creaking noise.

If anybody has experienced this issue before (i searched, but couldn't find anybody with the same issue), pls advise, as it would be great to give the dealer somewhere specific to look.