XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Full XFR/XFR-S exhaust(that's right... Finally headers too!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Full XFR/XFR-S exhaust(that's right... Finally headers too!)

New to the forum but thought I'd share some exciting news. I recently had my entire exhaust custom made from a local high end shop here in Arizona. This included the custom headers all the way back to the exhaust tips. I noticed there was no market for any headers and really the only thing available(until now) were variants of cat back exhausts. That's where Ryan over at Ardent Exhaust (https://ardent-performance.com/) came into play. He specializes in only high end vehicle exhausts and is now adding the jag market to his portfolio. Give the website some time before he adds the jag section. Ryan has mocked up my new exhaust so it can be replicated for your vehicle.

First...a little about my car(pre exhaust):
2014 XFR-S
Mina Gallery s/c pulley
Mina Gallery intake tube
K&N air filters

Car with exhaust:
Full custom Ardent headers
Full exhaust back to custom Ardent mufflers
-mufflers have 2 exits, one muffled and one straight through with key fob activated butterfly valves
Custom ECU tune

Some facts about the exhaust upgrade:
Car with original mods baseline dyno'd 490whp @ 5800rpm & 490tq @ 3000rpm
With the first mods that's roughly 602hp @ the crank

The dyno used was a dyno-dynamics type
With the new full exhaust with electronic butterfly valves open allowing straight through path in the mufflers and a tune it dyno'd 560whp @ 6400rpm & 540tq @ 3500rpm
That's roughly 687hp @ the crank

Serious serious gains just from opening up the exhaust and a good tune. The car with open exhaust sounds like a full on race car under full throttle. Of course its louder, but actually very drivable with them open if you don't go WOT. With the valves closed, the car just sounds mean but very drivable and no droning in the cabin. You can finally hear the exhaust with the windows up! (Seriously... Not obnoxious at all).

This first picture is a comparison of the new headers with the stock manifolds(in red). I cannot believe the car produced 550hp Stock at the crank with them tiny manifolds. You can see the huge difference! I think the headers look beautiful but Ryan at Ardent said the next ones he produces will be even prettier since this was his first run at XFR headers. I'm thinking these can fit on all XFR supercharged, and maybe those on the F-type and range rover with the same motor?

These next pics are of the muffler section with the electronically controlled valves:

I chose to have my tips painted black to look even more sinister under my carbon rear diffuser.

Sorry...I don't have a pic of my x-pipe and resonator section... I'll try and get it and post it soon.

Anyways... Thought I'd share the good news. Contact Ryan @ Ardent Exhaust if this interests you. He truly did an amazing job and this car is 100% different than before! I love it!

The following 10 users liked this post by XFR-S Beast:
Adam J (04-28-2018), ajkc (05-01-2018), bfarrell (08-25-2023), Datsports (04-28-2018), GritsNCornbread (05-15-2018), JagSTR2004 (05-08-2018), llamas1364 (08-13-2019), Panthro (05-02-2018), Reaxions (05-13-2018), RK354 (04-28-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Cool stuff, what a beast!

Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM

Thanks BlckCat .... Now to battle the bad heat soak we noted on the dyno. I'm thinking bigger intercooler radiator and a better cooler pump. I'm also curious to see what this thing will do in the quarter mile... If I can get traction. It'll spin them in many gears if you aren't careful. Traction off is down right scary. Ha!

Old 04-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Would love to see and hear her!

Old 04-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

I imagine a lot of people will be interested in the headers, though obviously removal of cats means us Californians will have to (as with any header replacement) go back to stock every 2 years to pass smog.

I'll be very interested to see the Jag section go up on the website..

The following users liked this post:
Bigg Will (05-19-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:33 PM

Yeah... He also offers it with high flow cats as well, and if I hit a hiccup with emissions they can be thrown on easily. I bet he'd even make a bolt in and out section just for that reason. So you can have them or not in like an hour of work. I've seen the exotics he works on, he's highly customizable for the customer's needs/wants. Great craftsmanship. I've been impressed.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,128 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by XFR-S Beast
Thanks BlckCat .... Now to battle the bad heat soak we noted on the dyno. I'm thinking bigger intercooler radiator and a better cooler pump. I'm also curious to see what this thing will do in the quarter mile... If I can get traction. It'll spin them in many gears if you aren't careful. Traction off is down right scary. Ha!
Heat soak on the AJ133 SC is a well known problem, and the guys on the F-Type forum think the stock cats are the main problem and swapping them out for hi-flow cats might be the best/easiest fix.
Would be interesting to see if this works for you.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Thanks... But I'm already cat-less and still have the soak. I'll update again once I make some changes. I've got the fever to get this remedied.... Being in Phoenix and already almost 100 degrees out, the sooner the better!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Heat soak on the AJ133 SC is a well known problem, and the guys on the F-Type forum think the stock cats are the main problem and swapping them out for hi-flow cats might be the best/easiest fix.
Would be interesting to see if this works for you.
not just the aj-133 , all the predecessor s/c aj-v8's suffered from this .
i de-carb'ed my charge coolers and added the merc 010 Bosch pump .
it was a little better ,
but from my experience all these things combined with adding 4liters of capacity to the intercooler circuit was the winner .
obviously the killer chiller is best . but the capacity tank worked great for a fraction of the price .

Old 04-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info... Pump and capacity is definitely on my future agenda. :-)

Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the forum but thought I'd share some exciting news. I recently had my entire exhaust custom made from a local high end shop here in Arizona. This included the custom headers all the way back to the exhaust tips. I noticed there was no market for any headers and really the only thing available(until now) were variants of cat back exhausts. That's where Ryan over at Ardent Exhaust (https://ardent-performance.com/) came into play. He specializes in only high end vehicle exhausts and is now adding the jag market to his portfolio. Give the website some time before he adds the jag section. Ryan has mocked up my new exhaust so it can be replicated for your vehicle.

First...a little about my car(pre exhaust):
2014 XFR-S
Mina Gallery s/c pulley
Mina Gallery intake tube
K&N air filters

Car with exhaust:
Full custom Ardent headers
Full exhaust back to custom Ardent mufflers
-mufflers have 2 exits, one muffled and one straight through with key fob activated butterfly valves
Custom ECU tune

Some facts about the exhaust upgrade:
Car with original mods baseline dyno'd 490whp @ 5800rpm & 490tq @ 3000rpm
With the first mods that's roughly 602hp @ the crank

The dyno used was a dyno-dynamics type
With the new full exhaust with electronic butterfly valves open allowing straight through path in the mufflers and a tune it dyno'd 560whp @ 6400rpm & 540tq @ 3500rpm
That's roughly 687hp @ the crank

Serious serious gains just from opening up the exhaust and a good tune. The car with open exhaust sounds like a full on race car under full throttle. Of course its louder, but actually very drivable with them open if you don't go WOT. With the valves closed, the car just sounds mean but very drivable and no droning in the cabin. You can finally hear the exhaust with the windows up! (Seriously... Not obnoxious at all).

This first picture is a comparison of the new headers with the stock manifolds(in red). I cannot believe the car produced 550hp Stock at the crank with them tiny manifolds. You can see the huge difference! I think the headers look beautiful but Ryan at Ardent said the next ones he produces will be even prettier since this was his first run at XFR headers. I'm thinking these can fit on all XFR supercharged, and maybe those on the F-type and range rover with the same motor?

These next pics are of the muffler section with the electronically controlled valves:

I chose to have my tips painted black to look even more sinister under my carbon rear diffuser.

Sorry...I don't have a pic of my x-pipe and resonator section... I'll try and get it and post it soon.

Anyways... Thought I'd share the good news. Contact Ryan @ Ardent Exhaust if this interests you. He truly did an amazing job and this car is 100% different than before! I love it!
Thats’s awesome. I’m newto the Jag community as well and just got my Mina intake tube in with k&n filters this week. I’m in the Valley as well so I will definitely hit them up to see what they can can do to make my 3.0 sound better. Good stuff!

Old 04-28-2018, 11:41 PM

I'm about to wrap my intake tube with DEI Black titanium header exhaust wrap. Switching from the stock plastic intake to the Mina metal tube is surely contributing to the heat soak. Looks nice polished, but I'd rather have the performance gains. Just a suggestion for you if you haven't thought about it. :-)

Old 04-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

I'm about to wrap my intake tube with DEI Black titanium header exhaust wrap. Switching from the stock plastic intake to the Mina metal tube is surely contributing to the heat soak. Looks nice polished, but I'd rather have the performance gains. Just a suggestion for you if you haven't thought about it. :-)
This is why someone needs to fab up a carbon fiber version of the Mina intake.

I tried with CF straight pipes and Samco elbows, but a single piece would be neater.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar have a pretty nice one on their Project 8 race demo car:

Old 04-29-2018, 09:21 AM

That's a nice looking set up you have there davetibbs..., I'm sure even that much cf is helping with the heat. Ryan at Ardent Exhaust and I actually had a recent conversation about possibly 3-D printing an intake tube to use as a form, then fabricating one over it with carbon fiber. Not sure how feasible that really is as I know nothing about 3d printing nor working with carbon fiber. He seemed to think it's a very real possibility. Due to the temp properties of carbon fiber itself, I too believe a full intake tube made of it would be the best bet.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:48 PM

That is pretty badass. Mina powder coated mine for me.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:51 PM

Mina intake pipe now wrapped with black DEI titanium header wrap. Looks decent and hopefully does its job!

Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the air really doesnt stay in the intake long enough to really contribute to heat soak. If it makes you feel better you can have the metal intake ceramic coated to keep temps down even more but I think it might be overkill.
Ceramic coating the headers would be a good idea though and might add to exhaust gas velocity, getting more heat farther away faster.

after that I would add and extra air to water intercooler somewhere to the car and look into a higher flow pump. the intercooler will add cooling surface area and extra fluid capacity to the system.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM

How are the headers ? have you ran into any problems yet also the mina gallery intake does it void warranty wanted to get it on my xfrs

Old 05-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Any chance of a video to hear what this sounds like?

Also, this car is really crying for a lower pulley, or is that planned after more cooling mods? By my calculation, that would take you to 600rwhp based on recent dyno data from another XFR-S. I think porting the TB from Maxbore would also be beneficial. Im hopeful I can replicate these results when I upgrade to an XFR as I understand the engine is identical to the XFR-S so thanks for showing what's possible.

The following users liked this post:
GDUB (08-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Full XFR/XFR-S exhaust(that's right... Finally headers too!)