XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

GPS update

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default GPS update

There's been some chatter regarding updates to maps for the GPS systems. Unless I've missed it, has anyone successfully updated to the most recent version?

My 2013 XJ has its original maps (Denso V30.12.03). I'm told that "Denso" refers to the manufacturer of the GPS and the "12" refers to the year of the map version). By the way, thank you again to the poster who unlocked the secret of finding that info -- pressing and holding the "colon" in the header bar.

I've called my local Jag parts guy and he says no newer versions are available. I called the parts guy at the dealership in Florida where I bought the car, and he says that there is a newer version 2014 - 2015. And, for about $400, they can install it for me. That apparently is a maps package from NavTeq.

NavTeq's web site is strangely lacking in details about the products they wish to sell. Car, year, model then "buy". Not a lot of description of what you get.

Can anyone fill in the blanks or better, has anyone updated to this latest version?
THANX
King Fala

Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think your NAV is HDD based and not DVD based. I would guess you have to get a code from Navteq and take that code and your car to the dealer to download the maps. Double whammy on cost, just like Nissan. At least with a DVD system all you have to do is insert the DVD.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Default GPS Update

Originally Posted by CP1
I think your NAV is HDD based and not DVD based. I would guess you have to get a code from Navteq and take that code and your car to the dealer to download the maps. Double whammy on cost, just like Nissan. At least with a DVD system all you have to do is insert the DVD.
It is, indeed, HDD based. I'm hoping that if I purchased it from NavTeq it would come on a flash drive with instructions. I've sent Navteq a request for more info on the upgrade.

I'll pass on what I find out -- if anything!
Luck
King Fala

Old 08-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GPS update

I can tell you about two update experiences; a 2013XF in the UK, done by the owner, and my 2012XF, done by the dealer. They are explained in
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f61/jaguar-map-updates-62703.html
or you can go to http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f61/and search for map updates.
To save you from following the links, here’s the info (sorry for the long post):

The UK user summarized the procedure for updating the 2013:
insert stick
instructions appear straight away on the screen
enter license code
process starts, with "updating map data" on the screen
navigation map data, entertainment, and telephone are not available whilst update is in progress
during updating memory stick can NOT be removed
if ignition is switched off during update the process will pause, and resume automatically when switched back on
sequential progress "dots" are showing pulsating during the process
on completion message on screen shows "update complete"
press "OK" button to confirm and reboot navigation, removing memory stick immediately (before reboot), this should take approx 3 minutes, but in fact took about 30 seconds
exit and "lock" the vehicle and leave for at least 15 minutes before using the navigation system
The whole process still took in excess of 4 hours

Procedure for updating my 2012:
The dealer installed my map update. They pointed out that it took most of a day, and they had to run the car for the entire time (gas mileage for that tank took quite a hit). They charged me $479, including the thumb drive, said they didn't charge me for the entire time the mechanic spent on the car, but checked with other dealerships to see what an "appropriate" charge would be. Likely the mechanic didn't give full attention to the car the entire time.

I bought my car in June 2012. I had the GPS update in June 2013, therefore got 2013 maps. The dealer (and I) didn’t realize that if we’d waited a few months, the 2014 map would have been available. The 2015 map is now available, (see http://www.navigation.com/homepage/jaguar-a/en_US/USD/) so I will probably soon go to the dealer for another update. The car goes less than 10K miles a year, mostly on trips, and I use the NAV almost all the time. Several roads I used in the past year were new.

My Garmin is an old Streetpilot (HD); it took about 3 hours to update in Jan 2013. I plan to update it one of these days because I use its computer map (MapSource) for trip planning. The NAV in my wife’s 2014 Subaru is updated by replacing an SD card, probably will be pretty quick. The Subaru system has a couple of nice features, but I like the XF system better, I think easier to use, and because most features on the Subaru system are locked out when the car is moving.

Hope that’s helpful; sorry again for the excess of info.

The following users liked this post:
KingFala (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

In-car nav systems are terrible compared to Waze or Google maps. I have Nav in both my XF's, but I can't see me using them ever again. I would consider $10 to be too much to make it worth upgrading them.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Default GPS Update

Thanks, Dick, for the info. Unfortunately I made a move before seeing your input to my question. (Incidentally your link to NavTeq didn't work for me.)

I don't know what's going to happen, or how this is going to work, but I've ordered a new version of maps from NavTeq. they're now calling their site "Where". My car, a 2013 XJ, had the 2012 map version originally installed.

The NavTeq guy said there is a newer version, the 2013-2014, and will be on a flash drive for me to install. $199.95. It's supposed to be simple and take 15 mins to 1/2 hour to install. I ordered that one.

In addition, the jag maps are due for another new version "sometime in the future". So, buy now and take a chance the new one's released in a couple of months, or wait! I'm hoping that the install is as simple as the last one I did on my wife's Lincoln MKX. That one was a complete upgrade of the maps and the software, taking about 20 minutes.

Caveat Emptor
Luck
King Fala

Dick (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i was wondering if there was an update disc out for the 2010 XF?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Default GPS update

neogod, easy answer, I think:
Go to website "NAVTEQ HERE"
under "map updates for nav" click "LEARN MORE"
under "got the latest maps?" pick Jaguar and click "GET MAPS"
under Jaguar nav map updates" pick XF, 2010
should show "North Amer. DVD version 2013-2014" $199

IIRC, (I updated my 2009 every year) you'll get 2 DVD's for East/West US, stick the correct one in the NAV DVD in the trunk, takes 15-20 minutes to update.

You might want to try to find out when the next update is, or check the issue date on the DVD you're using. I think I finally discovered they were updated around November. I bought:
08-09 on 10/19/09
09-10 on 3/18/10
10-11 on 1/27/11
11-12 on 12/6/11
slow learner, I guess.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dick:
Calif XFR (09-02-2014), neogod (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Default GPS update

KingFala, thanks for the info, and I'm very interested in what your results are.
When I go to "Navteq Here" and follow the procedure in my response above to neogod, I get the Jaguar page I tried to link you to, and whether I put in XF 2012 or XJ 2013, I get the same answer:
JAGUAR GEN 2.1 2015 HDD NA - USB STICK AND ACTIVATION CODE - $199.
The answer they gave you, "2013-2014", sounds like the way they labeled DVD's. If they're selling you a stick, I believe it is the 2015, because I have been checking regularly, and IIRC the 2014 was eventually "out of stock".
If you are so fortunate to have a 15-30 minute install, it means one of the following:
1-they have vastly improved the data transfer.
2-the XJ is different from the XF.
3-the 2013 is different from the 2012.
BTW, I believe the UK model year 2013 is a US 2012, so the UK experience I quoted was likely the same electronics as mine.

Please post your results; I'll wait until I hear them before I update mine.
Thanks...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM

thanks for the info.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts
Default GPS update disc

Originally Posted by neogod
i was wondering if there was an update disc out for the 2010 XF?
Yes - there is an update disc for the 2010 XF. I bought it ~ 6 months ago - I think it's a 2013 map set if I remember correctly. Works perfectly. There is a thread on here about it somewhere - they pointed me in the right direction of where to buy. I got it via a dealer online - you can get from your own dealer too (was more expensive) or I think from NavTech too?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Default GPS update

Correction (if anyone cares) - I said:

BTW, I believe the UK model year 2013 is a US 2012, so the UK experience I quoted was likely the same electronics as mine.

I think I had this backwards. A UK 2008 XF corresponds to a US 2009, so this guy was updating a US 2014, not 2012. Unless I got it backwards again. Kind of irrelevant, anyway.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 AM

O.K., here's the story. I received my new NavTeq maps yesterday (Aug 18). It was a flash drive (ubs memory stick). The Box was labeled Jaguar Gen 2.1 HDD, Satellite Navigation System Map Update - North America 2015. It was also identified: XJ XF F-Type.

The directions were quite simple:
1. Insert the USB
2. Follow the instructions on the touch screen
3. Enter the map license code
4. Navigation, phone & entertainment are non-functional during update process
5. Don't disconnect the USB during update
6. If interrupted the update will continue upon restart of car
7. When update is complete a message appears on the screen/ Press O.K. and immediately remove the USB stick
8. Allow 3 minutes for navigation to restart
9. Exit, lock vehicle and leave for at least 15 minutes before using the Nav system.

The first problem I had was they did not include the "Map License Code" with the product. It wasn't on the stick nor on the box, as you might expect with software. I found, when I called, that it was supposed to be on the printed invoice. However, it wasn't there, but we worked that out and they provided me with one.

Once the process started, percent completed shows on the screen to let you know "something" is happening. But --- it did take a bit more than three hours to complete the install. Although the instructions don't specifically specify that the engine should be running, I had mine running the whole time as I didn't know if the "accessory" setting would stay functioning for the entire time. Because the process takes that long, I suppose having the dealer install it, even if it's pretty much a self-install, they'd charge their hourly rate for the process.

I haven't had a chance to map out a route, but a quick look at the screen didn't show any significant changes. I suppose the only changes would be the addition of new roads, etc.

I still wish I could get my British lady back to guide me down life's highway.

I'll update this info once I get a chance to use it a bit in the coming weeks.
Luck
King Fala

Dick (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:02 PM

I have another question, where is the DVD unit in my car? I was thinking I saw it before in the trunk, but when I looked yesterday, I didn't see it.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Default DVD location

I'm almost positive that it's in the trunk. My 2006 had it in the trunk and I must have looked for quite a few minutes before I realized that it was on the left side, behind a door covered with the same black material that covered the rest of the trunk. I'm not saying that yours is in the same place, but without good light mine was very difficult to locate.
Luck
King Fala

Dick (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Default GPS update

Thanks, KingFala, for the detailed update.

I was hoping something had changed, but sounds like you had the same experience my dealer had. My entertainment system will only run 10 minutes without starting the engine; I think that is pointed out in the manual.

I don't know what the hourly charge is at my dealer. Warrantee work doesn't show the hourly charge, and the only repair I had to pay for was a rear cross brace I mangled running over a deer. They charged $125 for 1.5 hours, which would be less than $85 an hour.

My 2013 map USB was $279 on Navteq. Service advisor said it took "most of the day", but charged me the $279 for the USB and $200 for labor. Even at $85 an hour, that's less than two and a half hours charged. The stick is $80 cheaper now, and I'll negotiate for the same labor charge. In 20 years of Jaguar service, and 60 years many brands, this service advisor is the best I've dealt with.

You shouldn't notice any changes with the update. The only change I saw was added roads and newer POI's, maybe defaults like 3D and sort by distance. I was mostly concerned about Favorites, but they were not affected.

I missed the British lady at first, then I realized that with the turns info displayed in the instrument cluster, I could turn off the GPS voice and eliminate the annoying muting of the stereo.

Good luck using it and thanks again for doing the "preview" for me.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dealers in Sarasota and Tampa have occasional deals where they'll install the map updates for $199.00 with any service purchase. Don't remember if they required a minimum purchase as it's been a while since I've looked.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Default GPS update

Originally Posted by Dougs12SC
My Dealers in Sarasota and Tampa have occasional deals where they'll install the map updates for $199.00 with any service purchase. Don't remember if they required a minimum purchase as it's been a while since I've looked.
Sounds like a good deal to me. My dealer is pretty low volume, says my update (June 2013) is the only one he's done. He agreed to do it for $399 ($200 plus the USB), scheduled for later this month.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I get asked EVERY week if a client should update their nav system or not. Here is my opinion:

Navteq supplies the data for many manufacturers. Their data is constantly being updated, and put through QC testing. By the time the disc/USB drive makes it to market, it's 1 to 3 years old!

>>> Updating the nav system usually provides NO enhanced operation. It will ONLY add more recent data, like newer construction/roads and POIs.

Some DVD-based systems, like my 2005 XJR, update their operating system firmware using a later map disc. When I installed the latest one, it did such a procedure on my unit. I don't experience much difference, but it seems to route slightly better, so they may have changed some calculation algorithms.

So, and again this is MY opinion, unless you are trying to navigate to areas that do not appear in your system because they are recent construction, there is no need to waste your money...unless you ALWAYS have to have the latest stuff.

Last edited by ServiceMasterD; 09-01-2014 at 02:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ServiceMasterD:
Storm3163 (09-04-2014), WRXtranceformed (09-01-2014)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ 11 usb update

So I to purchase the here maps USB update for 199. It for some reason seems to be stuck on 3276%. When trying to update it’s been updating for the past 5 hours still completed anyone else have any issues when updating?