XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

grrrrrr.... 2 more rattles/creaks - driver side B-pillar, driver's seat right bolster

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default grrrrrr.... 2 more rattles/creaks - driver side B-pillar, driver's seat right bolster

Getting more and more annoyed at these gremlins that keep popping up.

I have a 3-month old '13 XFR. I've now noticed 2 more creaks/rattles in the last few days, I'm hoping somebody has an idea of how to stop the noise:

1) The driver's seat creaks when i put weight on the center mid-back area or right bolster (mid-back height as well). Sounds like it's coming from inside the seat, but i can't tell for sure.

2) At roughly 2200rpm give or take, i get an incredibly annoying plastic on plastic rattle from the driver's side B-pillar (ie the one just over your left shoulder).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate these noises? I'm not going to lie, i'm getting pretty fed up with the NVH issues that are coming up. These are pretty basic problems that should not be arising in a 90+ grand car. I had an 8 year old Infiniti that never made a peep, and it was 1/3rd the cost of this car. I am hoping once these initial kinks are ironed out, it will be smooth sailing from here on out, but it seems like a new issue keeps popping up everytime i fix one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

As much as I hate to say this welcome to the world of Jaguar. I owned a 2002 M5 previously and over 10 years the car was rock solid inside and out. Can't say the same about my 2012 XFR. Although mechanically sound the non-mechanical issues have driven me nuts. Overtime most have been resolved by the dealership and I have gotten used to the rest.

Start with a product called Sil-Glyde.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-noise-98403/

Last edited by kiddhan625; 05-18-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have a '13 with embarrassingly annoying rattles, creaks, buzzes, bangs, etc... I took some friends out with it two weeks ago and they made fun of me so bad because my brand new Jag sounds like it's 15 years old. Took it in to the dealer and they fixed some of them. Known issue with the sunroof noise has been successfully fixed. They also fixed some rattles in the door panels and replaced a buzzing speaker. Some others they didn't have luck with as they are intermittent and they couldn't replicate them. It's worth taking it in if it's still under warranty. They have lots of tricks to quiet things down. They replaced some broken trim clips, re-seated panels and shoved felt in between areas that may be rubbing (might fix your #2 issue) and it seems to have quieted down most of them. I still have a loud bang noise from the passenger side front wheel well area that happens only a few days every other week or so, and a high pitched creaking from behind the instrument panel. Edmunds.com did a nice write up on a 2012 XF long term road test and they seem to have similar complaints about the noise issues. Unfortunately, you're not alone on this. Still love the car, but these annoyances are like death by a thousand cuts.

The following users liked this post:
chuckh007 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Ouch I don't have the same problem with my '10...maybe the new model year brought some extra growing pains. I would just take it back to the dealer while you're under the bumper to bumper.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the creaking seat as well. They lubed it twice. It worked for a few weeks each time. Next time they said they would order parts to prevent the creaking. It happens at the lowest height. It goes away if the seat is raised higher.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by texevora
Getting more and more annoyed at these gremlins that keep popping up.

I have a 3-month old '13 XFR. I've now noticed 2 more creaks/rattles in the last few days, I'm hoping somebody has an idea of how to stop the noise:

1) The driver's seat creaks when i put weight on the center mid-back area or right bolster (mid-back height as well). Sounds like it's coming from inside the seat, but i can't tell for sure.

2) At roughly 2200rpm give or take, i get an incredibly annoying plastic on plastic rattle from the driver's side B-pillar (ie the one just over your left shoulder).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate these noises? I'm not going to lie, i'm getting pretty fed up with the NVH issues that are coming up. These are pretty basic problems that should not be arising in a 90+ grand car. I had an 8 year old Infiniti that never made a peep, and it was 1/3rd the cost of this car. I am hoping once these initial kinks are ironed out, it will be smooth sailing from here on out, but it seems like a new issue keeps popping up everytime i fix one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
For your #2 issue, I occasionally have this problem with my '12 XF and found that the plastic grab handle above the driver door frame vibrates against the plastic housing it rests in. I took a felt pad used for the bottom of chair legs (to prevent scuffing the floor) and cut a very, very small piece and adhered (has single sided adhesive backing) it to the handle. In the retracted position, you'll never know it's there. I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Rattle on left side on mine was from the Jaguar inset "air vents" on the fenders. I shimmed them with a tiny piece of plastic and rattle solved. It drove me nuts as I swore it was from the dash.