XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Had to turn it off and back on again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Had to turn it off and back on again...

My own fault probably, upset the Jag with my newly delivered Foxwell NV510 after looking at some of the special module features in the menu but cancelling out of all of them last night. This morning, ignition on, footbrake on, press START button and nada. Display goes off and silence. Thought it might have been a flat battery so put the tester on it, nope full voltage. Scan for faults, none found. Leave battery tender on for 30 minutes just in case, still no starter sound.

About to start looking for the AAA card to get a tow when I remembered the old Land Rover Hard Reset trick. Removed positive battery lead and shorted it to ground for about 30 seconds. Refitted battery lead, push start button, V8 cat roars back to life. Breathing resumes.

So if weird crap is happening to your Jag, try turning it off and back on again.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

I was having the no-start symptoms on my gray Jag at one point. Seemed like the battery was low, so I would charge it or jump it, and it would fire right up.

But then after it kept happening, I realized that I needed to push harder on the brake to get it to start. Now that's all it takes if it ever does that again.

So when I thought I was solving the problem with steps like you are taking, I just happen to press on the brake harder when I started it.

If it happens again, try pressing the brake harder before doing anything else.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I was having the no-start symptoms on my gray Jag at one point. Seemed like the battery was low, so I would charge it or jump it, and it would fire right up.

But then after it kept happening, I realized that I needed to push harder on the brake to get it to start. Now that's all it takes if it ever does that again.

So when I thought I was solving the problem with steps like you are taking, I just happen to press on the brake harder when I started it.

If it happens again, try pressing the brake harder before doing anything else.
I also have had the same experience. Push brake harder, car starts.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Well my strange symptoms were ignition brought the usual dash up but pressing the start button with the brake pedal down blanked the central console and only the PNRD display showed in the driver display. Almost like a dead battery suspect.

The usual manifestation of brake pedal chaos is I believe a bunch of spurious errors in the display about transmission limp mode, differential and/or dynamic mode not available. I haven't checked to see if the Land Rover and Jaguar brake switches are a common part but over in LR forums, those symptoms usually mean change the brake switch because it is confusing the ABS computers. Even the wrong tail lamp bulbs can make the CANBUS go haywire it seems ;-)

Anyway, pretty sure my brake switch is fine as I now start without needing extra foot pressure and thought I'd share the quick and easy "LR Hard Reset" tip. As much of the electrical plumbing is similar in JLR it shouldn't surprise me that it worked.

I can see I'm going to have to be cautious with the prodding in future ;-) And just to add that my initial experience with the Foxwell tool is that it is terribly slow to the point where sometimes you aren't sure if it registered a button push, even on the latest update. The GAP IID tool for LR is a joy by comparison - I really must hassle them again to push development on the Jaguar version for purely altruistic reasons of course....

Last edited by stmcknig; 07-22-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
The GAP IID tool for LR is a joy by comparison - I really must hassle them again to push development on the Jaguar version for purely altruistic reasons of course....
I love that tool for my RRS. Please tell them to hurry!

Can you do key programming any other cool stuff with your Foxwell?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

It does have options to add a key and verify keys. Can't tell whether it works and at this point I'm not going to rush to test it ;-) Once I get more time with it, I will see if I can write up some overview/review

Old 07-23-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

What about turning off the tire pressure monitors? If it can do that, I'll buy one today! I bet it's not long before my tire pressure monitors start flaking out and that was one of the first things I did on the RRS.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 07-23-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Christmas in July - check out GAP announcement here

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - GAP Diagnostic Announcement-2016-07-25-Apple App & More

The following users liked this post:
lotusespritse (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

Very interesting.

I hope the functionality is as broad for the Jaguar as the Land Rover. I'll need to buy a Bluetooth model since mine is not that version. But since I have 2 XF's, the $600 is not bad.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Very interesting.

I hope the functionality is as broad for the Jaguar as the Land Rover. I'll need to buy a Bluetooth model since mine is not that version. But since I have 2 XF's, the $600 is not bad.
I went for the BT unit after seeing the iPad demos so I'm all set...

Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I went for the BT unit after seeing the iPad demos so I'm all set...
I couldn't pass up the one I bought. A local guy sold it to me for only $200, and at the time it did everything the bluetooth model did, but the difference is that it's "testers" model which means it has unlimited vehicles. Normally if you buy a used one, you have to buy another vehicle license, so I didn't have to do that, nor will the next person when I sell it.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I have a unlimited LR3/LR4 VIN unit from BBS as I was a Beta tester for them. Haven't found the button that upgrades my LR3 to an LR4 though ;-)

Just got a screenshot from the IID tool on my iPhone connected to the XFR...there are some things still in development I think but the live values and fault scanning are in the IID tool tradition of clear and easy to understand...and the complete DTC code not the abbreviated one that most code readers show for JLR vehicles.