XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Head Gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
--- Hopefully OZXFR ca nget me the V6 manual and I will be able to figure out how to set the timing. I already sourced the cam lockdown/timing toolkit from Amazon, but since I am taking the VVT gears off I wonder why the heck do I need to lock down the cams??? It would be super if I could remove the chains without having to pull of the VVT gears ..but I dont think its possible. Any thoughts???
You need to lock down the cams because this allows you to rotate the VVT without the cam moving which is required to refit the timing gear properly. Cams need to be locked in a specific position to time up the engine. And you definitely need to remove the VVTs to remove and refit the chains, there's not enough slack in the chains to do so otherwise.

--- Thanks for the tip regarding the fuel injectors. Is it necessarry to replace them or will I be able to get away with reusing them?
You can absolutely reuse the injectors but you'll need to replace the Teflon seals on the end of them - special tool and processor for doing this of course, detailed in the workshop manual.

​​​​​​--- I am concerned about sourcing the gasket. Should I go with OEM from dealership or is there a better alternative out there given my spray application? Also, is going with the ARP bolts as you did a better choice than OEM?
​​​​​​I ended up going OEM for head bolts as I couldn't find suitable ARP replacements - I'm only using ARP fasteners for the main bearings and conrod bolts.

​​​​​​--- New timing cover???? why cant I reuse the old one? just curious? I was hoping to be able to get away with pulling just the upper cover off.
The cover has the front crank seal integrated into it. From memory it's possible to just replace the crank seal but given the cover also has a separate seal around the edge of it it's a good idea to replace it.

Last edited by davetibbs; 02-27-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

HEyyyyyyyy.....you know what...that AlliSport Intercooler looks awfully (exactly) like the EuroToys version. I wonder if shipping charges make it wash price wise?
They absolutely do.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Cherry (and anyone else with the AJ126 V6 SC).
Here is the 2014/2015 F-Type V6 Workshop Manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d52ciochjn...anual.pdf?dl=0

Old 02-27-2019, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

HEyyyyyyyy.....you know what...that AlliSport Intercooler looks awfully (exactly) like the EuroToys version. I just priced it and it came out to under $900 US including shipping (does the UK charge VAT if the part is sold oversees???? come on Brexit!!!) versus the $1400 +shipping for the EuroToys version. I think I just saved $600...hahaha
Sorry, I realized I missed my typo in the post above - the shipping absolutely doesn't make it a wash. I took advantage of a weak British pound (so whether Brexit happens or not could affect how much this costs) back in December and paid around $800 with shipping to CA for it, which was much better than EuroToys, Paramount, etc. I'm very happy with it.

The UK doesn't charge VAT if the part is sold overseas. Only liable if you're a UK resident, which is why if you go on vacation you can claim the VAT back on items you buy at the airport. As a Brit I personally don't want Brexit to happen (though opinions are very divided) but keep an eye on the exchange rate because you could end up saving even more cash!

Last edited by davetibbs; 02-27-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Yes they make the inter cooler for Paramount. I know I have it sitting on my bench. Has the Ali-Sport sticker right on it!
Cost me about $600 extra since I went thru Paramount.

Live and learn. I just paid my stupid tax as Dave Ramsey says.

Also just to say it again. We are lucky as the same inter-cooler fits just about ALL SC Jaguars 3.0L and 5.0L.
C2C39565

Still looking for IAT reductions from upgrading the inter-cooler. Can't find anything yet that has been posted.
Even paramount has no numbers?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes they make the inter cooler for Paramount. I know I have it sitting on my bench. Has the Ali-Sport sticker right on it!
Wow, I'd never considered that Paramount's (and presumably Eurotoys'?) chargecooler radiator was actually just a marked-up Allisport one. I just found it online when searching for F-Type upgrades knowing that they shared the same Jaguar part number.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Still looking for IAT reductions from upgrading the inter-cooler. Can't find anything yet that has been posted.
Even paramount has no numbers?
To be honest, I doubt you'll ever see them from these companies - they're operating on little more than "it's thicker, so it gets you better cooling". And in all fairness, the OEM radiator is thin and there is space in front for a thicker one, and a thicker radiator would get you better cooling, at least theoretically - all of which is why I bought and fitted it, along with the reason that my OEM radiator was damaged.

Someone with the time and a working OEM and Allisport radiator and an OBD2 reader that supports live data to see the IAT changes could probably get a definitive answer, though in honesty given how hot the chargecooler gets I'm surprised it works at all, given it just basically forces the air through radiators that are only a few inches high due to space restrictions in the chargecooler/manifolds.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

After looking over the entire process, I feel comfortable with the steps to remove and re-install everything. The most difficult and though provoking part will be removing the crank-pulley....which I cant for the life of me understand why all these tools are needed...lol...isn't this the same pulley that I already removed when I installed the over sized crank pulley from Velocity???? It took me maybe 30 minutes to do and I only used a socket, driver, and a long breaker bar....maybe I'm missing something here? my thoughts are provoked...I need to scratch my brain.

The other issue I will run into is setting the timing once the VVT gears are back in place. I will be ordering all the specialty tools from here (Specialty Car Tools - Automotive Specialty Tools) unless there is a vendor on here that we use???

...also....thanks OzXFR for the shop manual. I am in your debt sir .

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 03-01-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

The most difficult and though provoking part will be removing the crank-pulley....which I cant for the life of me understand why all these tools are needed...lol...isn't this the same pulley that I already removed when I installed the over sized crank pulley from Velocity???? It took me maybe 30 minutes to do and I only used a socket, driver, and a long breaker bar....maybe I'm missing something here? my thoughts are provoked...I need to scratch my brain.
That will be because the pulley is a two-piece one. In order to swap the oversized pulley from Velocity, you only needed to remove the part of pulley that drives the supercharger, which can be removed from the rest of it by undoing the bolts on the inside. However, this time you'll need to remove the whole pulley which means removing the large, in very tight, crank pulley bolt, and that's the one where you need to pay attention to whether it's reverse-threaded or not.

I didn't use the special tools to remove the pulley, just using a powerful impact gun on the bolt with the crank locked. However, I found all the tools invaluable when refitting the crank pulley, especially getting it on the crank straight given that it's basically interference fit, and I did slightly damage my old pulley because the puller I was using wasn't the right one but I was planning on replacing it anyway.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah...I just added all the tools into my shopping cart on that website. I am at over $1100 for tools that I will likely never use again. IF anyone wants to sell me theirs ...hint hint...let me know.

I figure the parts, even with me replacing lots of things with new OEM gear that really doesnt NEED to be replaced (coils, all coolant hoses and pipes, injectors, etc.) I figure to still finish the job under $2k which compared to the $8500 quoted from the dealership and $5500 from the indie shops is still a win. AND...I get to undress my engine. I think after this I can be officially considered mechanically inclined (if I can get it to start again...hahaha).

Old 09-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

So....is it running nicely now?

Old 09-04-2020, 01:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

After reading the whole post, I’ve a feeling this car’s in a scrapyard somewhere...

Old 09-04-2020, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

No actually it is in my garage sitting next to my XE. The project came in at just under $3200 because I also replaced the intercoolers....actually pretty much all of the cooling system had to be replaced because I had used a few cans of liquid headgasket sealer. Stuff works for a while but inevitably the sealing material degrades. But is clogs up your heater core like a champ....lol...and gums up everything else also...it kept me running for a few months though....but cost me an extra 1200 in parts in the end.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-04-2020 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:55 AM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

Well done !

Old 09-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you sir 🤗. Now....did I learn my lesson about using nitrous? Absolutely !!!! I learned that these engines can generate a whole lot more than stock and having a OBD temp guage saved my ***. Biut the XF is now mostly retired. I will probably hang on to it forever...lol....just for the memories. Moving on to XE mods now...which will essentially be the same as the XF mods (larger crank pulley with VAP tune, an active exhaust and a direct injection shot of giggle juice). Same set up but on a slimmer platform. Should be fun.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-04-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Which liquid head gasket sealers did you try? Some claim to be better than others in term of gunking things up...

Thanks!