XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Help ON 5.0 SC Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help ON 5.0 SC Engine

Hello every one
This is my first day as a member I read a lot but I do need your help. I just bought my second Jag it's a 2011 XFR 75K mils on it. My first Jag XJR 04 was last month so I am still very new to the family
I really need your help on some stuff but mostly on the engine components. I want the car to last at least another 75K mils +. I Hope and pray.

1. I know that there was some 5.0 engine components problem on the 2010,2011,2012 models. I heard they resolved it on the 2013 + what was the upgrades??..

2. I know there was a water pump and engine plastics failure or you need to change theme for 60k miles +. So pleas I need all the parts name and number that need to be changed and if there is an upgrade components it will be better for me. It doesn't mater if it looks OEM to me as long it functions better that's what I am looking for.

Also if there is any tips to keep an eye on any car parts or coming failure pleas do not hastate to let me know.
I am willing to spend a good amount of money on new parts
The XFR will be in a very hot city 132 F so I don't wanna see it over heating in summer.
Thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 12:55 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

The water pump and plastic water pipes are fragile.

The other issue is the supercharger drive isolator “spring”. There is an aftermarket Eaton part that replaces the spring with a solid coupler. Not really damaging to the SC but gets noisey.

The rest of the engine is pretty solid. Keep an eye on oil consumption, and the early timing chain guides can be problematic.

The following users liked this post:
ariba (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ariba
1. I know that there was some 5.0 engine components problem on the 2010,2011,2012 models. I heard they resolved it on the 2013 + what was the upgrades??..
You're talking about the timing guide wear - on the 2010-2012 models the metal on the back of the timing chain guides was too soft, and the harder metal of the pin of the tensioner hammered against it during startup, wearing it away over time. This has been widely documented in the Land Rover world, but less so here, even though the engines suffer the same problem.

I've posted a video that describes this, including a photo of my timing chain guides from my 2010 engine, in this thread.

You'll want to change out - at a minimum - the timing chains, tensioners, and guides if this hasn't been done. Especially if you can hear a ticking noise like in the video I posted at the very end of the thread.

Last edited by davetibbs; 02-05-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
The water pump and plastic water pipes are fragile.

The other issue is the supercharger drive isolator “spring”. There is an aftermarket Eaton part that replaces the spring with a solid coupler. Not really damaging to the SC but gets noisey.

The rest of the engine is pretty solid. Keep an eye on oil consumption, and the early timing chain guides can be problematic.
Thank You for the fast reply
are these the right parts?
water pump
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GMB-Eng...haIGqM&vxp=mtr

pipe
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...t-pipe-aj89664

plastics
https://www.terrysjag.com/product/AJ813565.html

https://www.terrysjag.com/product/C2Z28467.html

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/...SABEgKgN_D_BwE

is this the one you mean? supercharger drive isolator “spring”
the after market one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filled-...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

are those enough or I need to ad or change?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2018, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
You're talking about the timing guide wear - on the 2010-2012 models the metal on the back of the timing chain guides was too soft, and the harder metal of the pin of the tensioner hammered against it during startup, wearing it away over time. This has been widely documented in the Land Rover world, but less so here, even though the engines suffer the same problem.

I've posted a video that describes this, including a photo of my timing chain guides from my 2010 engine, in this thread.

You'll want to change out - at a minimum - the timing chains, tensioners, and guides if this hasn't been done. Especially if you can hear a ticking noise like in the video I posted at the very end of the thread.
Thank You for the reply and video it helped a lot.
1.Let us say If I didn't change them what is the worst case scenario??.. will it hurt the engine and cause a failure or it will only make less performance and a clicking noise?
2.Is there any upgrade performance timing change for more HP?
3. when did you start hearing it in your car what was the miles?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thank You for the reply and video it helped a lot.
1.Let us say If I didn't change them what is the worst case scenario??.. will it hurt the engine and cause a failure or it will only make less performance and a clicking noise?
2.Is there any upgrade performance timing change for more HP?
3. when did you start hearing it in your car what was the miles?
Thanks
I bought my car at around 62k miles, and the video clip showing the noise at the end of that thread was taken from a video filmed a couple of weeks after I bought it, so I have to assume the noise was always there.

I still don't know the exact reason my oil level got so low that I spun two conrod bearings - it looks to be a possible multitude of factors - but it's fair to say the aluminum particles scraped off the head/block by the rattling timing chains (see the photos in the thread) definitely won't have helped any. So I guess it's possible you could suffer a full-blown engine failure, but I don't know. I wouldn't want to tempt fate, but I understand the cost of swapping parts is definitely a factor.

I'm not aware of performance upgrades specifically involving the timing system, as it's largely all controlled by the ECU.

Last edited by davetibbs; 02-06-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Guys, we have rebuild Jaguar XF V8 5.0 Supercharged 2012 Engine, now looking parts for it, Engine rebuild kit, complete composite gaskets,
chains, crank and cam gear, Thermostat, piston rings set.

Can you please recommend where yo buy all that thinks?

VIN No: SAJAC08R7CMS21723
Engine number is 11061721134508PS

Kind Regards
Gabriel

Old 02-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Look for Davetibbs posts. He has done a huge amount of work because of the spun bearings he mentions.
He has done a great job documenting all this.

Gabriel Garcia (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 PM

In my opinion I if the engine is blown I will not rebuild it even if I loved the car I will go buy another used one. It's a lot easier and I think cheaper. save time and money.
But Pleas Do I need other than Water pump, plastic components pipes, Timing chine guide wear. Is there something to add?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Those are area's that are known problems but I would just keep an eye on things and not purchase any parts until your car has a problem?

You just don't know what will happen first and you might get surprised and not have any problems. But you are now forewarned about what to keep tabs on.

That's the important part!

Don't neglect Davetibbs comment up thread about checking the oil regularly because it's a bit of a pain.

Do you have any problems right now?

ariba (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a price today for parts mostly needed...

ariba (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Those are area's that are known problems but I would just keep an eye on things and not purchase any parts until your car has a problem?

You just don't know what will happen first and you might get surprised and not have any problems. But you are now forewarned about what to keep tabs on.

That's the important part!

Don't neglect Davetibbs comment up thread about checking the oil regularly because it's a bit of a pain.

Do you have any problems right now?
Thanks
No I don't but I smell coolant.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Hello every one
This is my first day as a member I read a lot but I do need your help. I just bought my second Jag it's a 2011 XFR 75K mils on it. My first Jag XJR 04 was last month so I am still very new to the family
I really need your help on some stuff but mostly on the engine components. I want the car to last at least another 75K mils +. I Hope and pray.

2. I know there was a water pump and engine plastics failure or you need to change theme for 60k miles +. So pleas I need all the parts name and number that need to be changed and if there is an upgrade components it will be better for me. It doesn't mater if it looks OEM to me as long it functions better that's what I am looking for.

Also if there is any tips to keep an eye on any car parts or coming failure pleas do not hastate to let me know.
I am willing to spend a good amount of money on new parts
The XFR will be in a very hot city 132 F so I don't wanna see it over heating in summer.
Thanks
Understand the long maintenance schedules claimed by auto manufacturers get you past their warranty.
The best thing to do in making the ANY car last long is frequent oil changes, I change my oil every 3000 mi, and the oil filter every 6000 mi. I use Walmart super tech 5w20 synthetic, its Manufactured for Walmart by Mobile, Shell Oil and Warren Distribution. $17.99 for 5 qts.

Change your diff lube every 30,000mi
Change your brake fluid and Transmission fluid every 50,000mi.
Change you coolant every 2 years
Change your spark plugs, O2 sensors and service your supercharger every 100,000mi.

Some things to look at replacing given your current mileage Trans mount and flex joint (Guibo) replacement.
Water pump (USE A FACTORY NEW ONLY)
In tank Fuel pump (My next project)
Intercooler pump
Alternator (Rebuild)
Starter (Rebuild)
AND KEEP A GOOD BATTERY IN IT!

Last edited by Bigg Will; 02-10-2018 at 03:45 PM.
ariba (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

^ Agreed on all the above. Especially as engines age, frequent oil changes are far more beneficial than a particular brand of oil.

ariba (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Understand the long maintenance schedules claimed by auto manufacturers get you past their warranty.
The best thing to do in making the ANY car last long is frequent oil changes, I change my oil every 3000 mi, and the oil filter every 6000 mi. I use Walmart super tech 5w20 synthetic, its Manufactured for Walmart by Mobile, Shell Oil and Warren Distribution. $17.99 for 5 qts.

Change your diff lube every 30,000mi
Change your brake fluid and Transmission fluid every 50,000mi.
Change you coolant every 2 years
Change your spark plugs, O2 sensors and service your supercharger every 100,000mi.

Some things to look at replacing given your current mileage Trans mount and flex joint (Guibo) replacement.
Water pump (USE A FACTORY NEW ONLY)
In tank Fuel pump (My next project)
Intercooler pump
Alternator (Rebuild)
Starter (Rebuild)
AND KEEP A GOOD BATTERY IN IT!
BIGG WILL you are the best thanks
maybe you can help me on some parts are they the best ones or any suggestions?

*For the engine oil planning Castrol edge 5W-20 full synthetic.
* Is the diff oil is Castrol 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil? and is it enough or do I need extra Castrol BOT 720? I am not sure what its it for?
*Do I need Timken DRK321J Differential bearing and seal kit for the diff o I can use my old one?
* is the Brake Fluid Pentosin 97034.PNC2D34402 - ?
*Is the trans fluid Kit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-ZF-Tran...ZU--OL&vxp=mtr

*is this the coolant?
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....yABEgKZT_D_BwE

* What is the correct spark plugs?
*what is a good aftermarket Coils? the jag ones Is expensive
Thanks

Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

BIGG WILL you are the best thanks
maybe you can help me on some parts are they the best ones or any suggestions?

*For the engine oil planning Castrol edge 5W-20 full synthetic. You know what I use..
* Is the diff oil is Castrol 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil? Should be fine and is it enough or do I need extra Castrol BOT 720? NO I am not sure what its it for?
*Do I need Timken DRK321J Differential bearing and seal kit for the diff o I can use my old one? NO, but see my thread on this.
* is the Brake Fluid Pentosin 97034.PNC2D34402 - ? See my thread on this
*Is the trans fluid Kit? See my thread on this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-ZF-Tran...ZU--OL&vxp=mtr

*is this the coolant?
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....yABEgKZT_D_BwE See my water pump replacement thread.

* What is the correct spark plugs? See my thread on this
*what is a good aftermarket Coils? the jag ones Is expensive I don' know of an aftermarket replacement coil for the AJ but the ones on mine were Denso and had a Ford part number on them. I believe I took a picture of one when I changed my plugs. If your coils are working I wouldn't mess with them.
Thanks

LOL...Rather than try and re hash all this I've done and why just search through my started threads.
Click on my screen name in a comment I've made
click on the stats tab
click on all threads started by me
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archid=8521507

The one thing I forgot but was mentioned, is the plastic crossover pipe on the back of the engine, Mine went at around 65kmi, if you service the supercharger then would be an excellent time to replace that plastic crossover.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 02-12-2018 at 02:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
ariba (02-27-2018), Jim Miller (02-27-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

And if you need the Jag service manual, I can Email it to you if you like. It's too big to post in the forum. Pressure test your cooling system to find whats causing your coolant smell.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 02-12-2018 at 02:59 AM.
ariba (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
LOL...Rather than try and re hash all this I've done and why just search through my started threads.
Click on my screen name in a comment I've made
click on the stats tab
click on all threads started by me
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archid=8521507

The one thing I forgot but was mentioned, is the plastic crossover pipe on the back of the engine, Mine went at around 65kmi, if you service the supercharger then would be an excellent time to replace that plastic crossover.
God bless You Bigg Will Thanks for helping
I will send you my email.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Also, the cooling fan and controller were issue items early on many 5.0 cars (including mine) they are some pricey parts to but, you need to replace both at the same time.

And Gabriel Garcia start your own thread buddy, Hijackings not cool...lol

Last edited by Bigg Will; 03-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.
ariba (03-02-2018)