XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by neogod
It was bubbling when I got my car, Jaguar replaced it for free for me. I plan on getting tint soon. I would suggest tinting your front windshield to keep the heat off of it, or the sun shade.

Yeah, I've been using the sunshade when the car is outside for 6 years, and when I park at my commuter train lot, I park just west of a building, so the car is in the shade all afternoon. I never thought this would happen to my car. I am so bummed!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Hmmm. Are you saying that removing the dash and stretching/stapling the edges is futile? If so the only solutions seem to be:

1. Replace your dash with a new one ($2155 + labor)

2. Cover up the exposed edge where the leather is pulling away (using color matched leather)

3. Get color matched dye and try to dye the exposed foam to make it less noticeable that there is a gap

4. Live with it.
If you're out of warranty, go with option 5: Take off dash and take to a trim shop to have leather removed, cleaned and re-glued.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

What is the main mode of failure the leather shrinking or the glue failing or is it a 50/50 split? If it is the glue we are SOL right?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
What is the main mode of failure the leather shrinking or the glue failing or is it a 50/50 split? If it is the glue we are SOL right?
It's the glue. The glue just isn't up to long term holding as the leather shrinks, which all leather shrinks over time.

I do wonder if products made for stretching leather would help make life easier on the glue.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
If you're out of warranty, go with option 5: Take off dash and take to a trim shop to have leather removed, cleaned and re-glued.

Isn't it just going to shrink again? This may be a fine solution for a used car dealer, but not for someone like myself who plans to keep his car for another 3-4 years (I only have 33k miles after 6 years).

Also, based on the dealer's labor quote, it seems like this is an 8 hour job (well maybe a little less since they're known to pad labor time), so the odds of my doing this myself in less time seem very low.

I will check around to see if any other trim shops have done this and what the cost might be.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't it just going to shrink again? This may be a fine solution for a used car dealer, but not for someone like myself who plans to keep his car for another 3-4 years (I only have 33k miles after 6 years).

Also, based on the dealer's labor quote, it seems like this is an 8 hour job (well maybe a little less since they're known to pad labor time), so the odds of my doing this myself in less time seem very low.

I will check around to see if any other trim shops have done this and what the cost might be.
First off, it already shrank, so it's not going to shrink again. Although it might shrink some more, but like your cotton shirts, it probably won't shrink a lot more.

And the idea is that Jaguar used the wrong glue, so if a trimmer uses a better glue, you'll be golden.

Yes, it will take you a long time if you're someone that doesn't do this a lot.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 07-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Don't forget to add staples as well as glue. The repairs shown have a row of staples to help take some of the strain off the glue.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2011 model year and up have staples along the perimeter in addition to the glue.

The following users liked this post:
ddanielcigars (07-21-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes it seems the factory started adding staples. Maybe after reports of the dash problems?

ddanielcigars (07-21-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aubullion
The 2011 model year and up have staples along the perimeter in addition to the glue.
Is there an easy way to verify? Just checking to make sure it was not a mid year change.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Default Follow-up on Dash and Windshield

I just noticed the center section of my leather dash (around my center dash speaker) pulling away from the windshield bottom. Since I have no Jaguar warranty left, I'm on my own as far as the repair is concerned. It seems a good auto interior shop could do this. How many hours of labor are involved?

Also, I notice that the windshield is sort of delaminating around the top and side edges, with small yellow specks starting to appear (see photos). Since I have $0 deductible on my glass, I wonder if this would be covered by insurance. Anyone else have this issue?

I put in a claim under my mechanical breakdown insurance, and surprising they covered the dash replacement. I picked up the car yesterday and it looks perfect. So far, no rattles or other issues. The shop said their mechanic has done many of these, so that probably helped. The invoice shows 8 hours of labor, but from what I can tell, it took him less than 4 hours (I got a call at 10:15AM saying he was going to start shortly, and another call at 3PM when he was done).

As to the windshield delaminating, my glass coverage will pay for the replacement and since I have $0 deductible, I don't have to pay anything. The only thing is I'll be getting it done by a glass shop that will come to the house, so it didn't get done while the car was at the dealer. I avoided dealing with Safelite, and instead called a local shop, so I'm getting Jaguar OEM glass that says "Jaguar - Pilkington." Since Safelite is a glass manufacturer, they might have tried to stick me with their house brand.

I also got my TPMS issue resolved, which I'll write a post about on the TPMS thread.

So, all's well that ends well.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Smile My XF also needs dash repair!

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
If your dash is bubbling, and your out of warranty, their is another option other than the $$$$ and dash removal the dealer wants. One of my local HIGH LINE used car dealer friends gets all his XF dashes redone by a guy who removes the front glass. It takes 2 days for him to remove the glass, stretch glue and then clip/staple the dash leather so it can NEVER shrink and wrinkle again for hundreds instead of thousands.
So if your in So Cali and need more info PM me, if your out of so cal check with some of your local High line used car dealers, My contact says he has never sold an XF that 'didn't need a dash repair' (Its a common XF problem) so this method is probably out there already.
Hi Bigg Will; Do you have a the dealer name and location or a contact number? Im in north Cal but haven't been successful on finding a place to get it repair (at a reasonable price) so I will consider driving to SoCal to get this resolved.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom Kokinis (05-04-2020)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
If your dash is bubbling, and your out of warranty, their is another option other than the $$$$ and dash removal the dealer wants. One of my local HIGH LINE used car dealer friends gets all his XF dashes redone by a guy who removes the front glass. It takes 2 days for him to remove the glass, stretch glue and then clip/staple the dash leather so it can NEVER shrink and wrinkle again for hundreds instead of thousands.
So if your in So Cali and need more info PM me, if your out of so cal check with some of your local High line used car dealers, My contact says he has never sold an XF that 'didn't need a dash repair' (Its a common XF problem) so this method is probably out there already.
Hello, I'm from Southern CA and own a 2011 Jaguar XJ. With 36k mi all of a sudden the dash board started to come apart at the seams and erratically started to bubble at random places like the leather had developed skin cancer or something! When I took to the Jaguar dealer and also put in a call to Jaguar USA they proceeded to tell me that the sun is too hot where you live and literrally hung up the phone on me. Jaguar USA did! I cannot properly use this $90k car with the dash all jacked up and no repair or upolstry shop wants to touch the dash in this car. I'm trying to take important clients out and my dash looks so embarrassing.

Do you have a place in Southern CA that can help me fix this to look like factory original condition? Thanks Gee astroexpress@gmail.com

gabejim76 (05-13-2020)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Old 09-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Old 09-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by aubullion
That is not entirely true, unless it started MY11 because my 2011 XFR is bubbling

I put in a claim under my mechanical breakdown insurance, and surprising they covered the dash replacement. I picked up the car yesterday and it looks perfect. So far, no rattles or other issues. The shop said their mechanic has done many of these, so that probably helped. The invoice shows 8 hours of labor, but from what I can tell, it took him less than 4 hours (I got a call at 10:15AM saying he was going to start shortly, and another call at 3PM when he was done).
it could have been 2 people working on it...which makes sense.

Originally Posted by astroexpress
that is total bullshit! the bubbling is one thing, but this is a leather disease! If Cali is "too hot"....then what do they say to those living in the middle east?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

For this I'd go back to Jaguar and let them know your dash is coming apart at its passenger air bag seams. XF's are already under a recall for a passenger air bag replacement, it may also spread to the XJ's. Let them know this situation will eventually render the car unsafe to operate.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So I just noticed my dash is starting to lift/ bubble at the gauge hump. Has anyone had an interior shop stick a hypodermic with glue/cement in through one of the seams around there and see if they can press it down to realize it? Seems like this would be an easy and cheap fix.....

Old 10-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tampa FL Bubbling XF Dash

Do you have any contacts in the Tampa FL area for the dash repair?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an out of warranty SC XF in Tampa. Any suggestions for repairing the bubbling dashboard?

Quick Reply: If your dash is Bubbling, and your out of warranty?