XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar xf map light

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xf map light

Light will flick on without touching it, I worry about battery drain if I am not in the vehicle.
Any one having a similar problem ?

Last edited by irmonkho; 07-10-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a similar problem where the light would turn on without anyone touching it. I took it to the dealer since I was bringing the car in for other issues anyway. What the dealer did was to remove the bulb and then clean/sand the contacts for the bulb. It seems easy enough. You can do a search on this forum, but that seems to be the solution to this problem.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I had a similar problem where the light would turn on without anyone touching it. I took it to the dealer since I was bringing the car in for other issues anyway. What the dealer did was to remove the bulb and then clean/sand the contacts for the bulb. It seems easy enough. You can do a search on this forum, but that seems to be the solution to this problem.
same problem / same fix - corrosion in the contacts i think. dealer addressed it when i bought it.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I had this problem on both of my XFs, fixed by swapping out the stock globes for LEDs.
Not sure though whether it was the simple act of replacing the globes that cured the problem, as both times I gently squeezed the contacts a little closer together so the new globe fitted nice and tight, and that is more likely to be what did the trick.
As an added bonus the LEDs are 100 times better looking than the stock sickly yellow globes, and you can choose what colour you want. Many have gone for bright blue or ice blue, I went for ice blue in the central light, rear lights and footwell lights as it is a very close match to the stock "phosphor blue" lighting scheme, and bright white in the two front reading lights.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

so how do you open the lights to get to the bulbs?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
so how do you open the lights to get to the bulbs?
The whole lighting console pulls down out of the roof.
Grab a trim removal tool and stick it up between the edge of the console and the roof lining, on one side about 3 cm from the back edge (back being towards the rear of the car). If you look very closely you will see a small indent/slot in the console in this spot. Then lever the console down about 1 cm, then do the same on the other side. Then grab the front edge of the console which is now sticking down a bit, and pull it down further. Be warned, the metal clips that hold it in are very tight and you need to give it a fair tug to release them. Then unclip the two rear clips as well, and now the whole console comes out of the roof, held on by the wiring connector.
You now have two choices, either leave the wiring connector plugged in and work on replacing the globes in situ, or unplug the connector and remove the console from the car.
Either way, the three globes sit in separate plastic globe holders, and you need to remove those globe holders. Undo them with a 1/3 twist (I forget which direction!) and they pop out. Then simply pull the globes out and replace with your new globes of choice (5W5 T10 wedge). Heaps to choose from on eBay and elsewhere, multi-chip SMD LED, Cree or COB (Chip On Board), after trying dozens of them across several cars I prefer the COB. Make sure they are no wider than 12 mm otherwise they may not fit. Before inserting the new globes, clean up the sockets in the globe holders with some contact cleaner, and gently squeeze the contacts a little closer together with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Push and twist the globe holders back into place, reconnect the wiring plug if necessary, then test the globes before you push the console back into place. If a globe doesn't light up, take it out, turn it 180 degrees and reinsert it, then test again. Once all three lights are working as they should, push the console back into place, again it will need a good shove.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
JessN16 (10-27-2017), Kaeghl (07-26-2017)