XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Just took delivery of an '09 XF Supercharged.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just took delivery of an '09 XF Supercharged.....

and I absolutely love this car. Let me start by saying I appreciate all the useful information on this forum. Over the past several weeks I've been researching the XF and finally decided it was a good fit. I took delivery Tuesday evening of this black on black beauty.

It has a few things that need attention. First, the park assist is on the fritz. I'll get that addressed at some point, but the purpose of this car is to move forward with impressive thrust, finesse, and luxury. A hyperactive park assist while reversing seems inconsequential at the moment.

It did not come with the ipod cable, so that has already been ordered.

For what ever reason, it is also missing the Nav DVD, which is annoying. If anyone has purchased the current DVD and would like to turn loose of their old disc, please let me know as I would have some interest in them.

I have a reserved parking spot in front of my office. I'm now thinking about parking in the rear of the office so I'll be able to see it from my office window. Then I could look out the window and smile knowing I get to drive that sexy black feline home at the end of the day...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations! You will love the car. I purchased my 2009 SC about two weeks ago and everything works to perfection. The car is also "certified" so I won't have to worry for a while.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by svahle
For what ever reason, it is also missing the Nav DVD, which is annoying. If anyone has purchased the current DVD and would like to turn loose of their old disc, please let me know as I would have some interest in them.
You should use the 2010-2011 discs because they correct a 2009 Nav software problem that occurs on restricted lane roads.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The "park assist" also beeps when it senses proximity of obstacles somewhat to the side as well as directly to the rear. The screen shows an appropriate graphic if this is the case.

Also, it will detect shrubbery, snow drifts and even dips in the road if you reverse into one, as for instance down a steep driveway which meets the road at an upward angle providing a reflection surface sensed by the transmitters in the rear bumper.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Watchgeek - Thanks for the props and congrats to you also on your recent acquisition

Jerry S - Thanks for the info. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

jagular - I appreciate the information. Unfortunately, my park assist either beeps wildly or emits a continuous tone and the graphic shows obstacles all around the right rear of the car even in an empty, flat parking lot with no obstructions within 50 feet of the car (how's that for a run on sentence). This occurs every time I reverse. The graphic appears accurate for the front park assist but there is clearly an issue as to the rear. According to the graphic I've already backed into all kinds of imaginary objects! Luckily these ghost trees, vehicles and pedestrians haven't caused any appreciable body damage. :-)

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Here is a question. Can the park assist be disabled (aside from pressing the over-head button each time I reverse). With the reverse camera, mirrors, and some common sense I think I could effectively avoid backing into something without the park assist feature. I briefed through the manual and touch screen tabs but didn't find a way to simply disable it.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think they can be disabled. Maybe a dealer can do it, but if any of the warrenty is left, just have them replace the defective the right rear sensor(s).

Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The sensors do weird things when they are failing. These are very sensitive to pressure from collisions with the bumper and with high pressure spray wash.

I suspect you have a duff sensor or two that need to be replaced. They are not especially cheap but good value if your '09 XF SC was appropriately priced.

What a car, really...get a new sensor or two installed, it should work fine.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats, on your ride , thanks guys for your replies as well

Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Yes, thanks for the replies. I have some warranty remaining and I do intend to have the issue addressed. I'm about 2 hours from the closest dealer so it may be a while before I'm able to have it evaluated. Interestingly, last night the system worked perfect but was acting up again this morning. I too believe it is sensor related.