XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Leather interior color change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leather interior color change?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing a interior color change on their vehicles? I have a 09 xf supercharged with ivory/oyster and I wanted spice or dark coffee brown, please advise on what my best route would be? Dyeing, spraying, junk yards for spice interior, classy seat covers if anyone knows of any or as my wife says" Get over it" your car is perfect". Lol thanks for any and all help.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 676 Posts

I've been restoring classic cars as a hobby for decades and have had good results with some products like SEM colorcoat for vinyl and magic mender for leather, but all I'm ever doing is changing the color on one or a few parts because I couldn't find replacements in the right color. The problem with doing a complete color change is there are SO MANY parts that it becomes a huge chore, probably as much work as changing the exterior color. Plus these products are great for a classic car that doesn't get driven much, but I suspect they may not wear as well on a daily driver.

Finding a complete interior in a salvage vehicle would be better, but the problem with salvage yards, at least the ones here in the US, is they are focused on selling mechanical and crash parts. More often than not, vehicles are left out in the yard with the windows down and the sunroof open, or of course they sell a door or a window and so the dirt and the rain fall in. And the self-service yards are the worst because idiots will remove half the engine bay getting to the one little part they need and all those greasy "extras" get tossed into the passenger compartment, ruining an otherwise useable seat or carpet. The thing to do would be to beat the salvage yards to it. Watch the insurance auctions for one with the interior you want and outbid them on it. Then swap out your interior for the one you want and resell the crashed vehicle.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

There are a good amount of used vehicles out there. Why not sell your car for the one you want. You may come close to breaking even. I'd think it be much cheaper than trying to buy the parts from a salvage yard.