XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Looking to buy a '10 XFR...Engine question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a '10 XFR...Engine question?

Hi All, My first post here...I've been scanning the board for as much info as I can about 2010+ XFSC & XFRs before I buy...Of course I've been looking at classifieds on the net and at my local dealers...I came across a 2010 XFR on the net...all the pics show an XFR, badging, hood vents, seats, etc....But I have 2 questions 1) the Seats are the bolstered XFR, but they are black with red center inserts. I just never saw this before. Was this an option? The 2nd is most trivial to me...Of all there pics of the XFR's exterior and interior, there is only a single zoomed-in pic of the engine which doesn't look like the other engines I've seen on the XFRs or even '10+ XFSCs...See below. Is that a real XFR 510hp 5.0L V8? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

No, that is not a 5.0 litre V8 AJ133 supercharged motor as in the XFR.
I don't know for sure what it is but I suspect it is the 4.2 litre supercharged V8 from the 2008/2009 XF SV8 (usually designated as the XFS in the US). The XFR replaced the SV8 sometime in 2009 I think, and came only with the 5.0 motor.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:27 PM

Hmmmm...I wonder why it would have an older engine in it for the MY2010 they stated..I guess I'll have to go visit the dealer and hear what sort of explanation they can give me...

Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

No chance that anyone has replaced a 5.0 with a 4.2, the cost would be horrendous even if it was possible to get all the systems to work, which I doubt.
I suspect the seller has simply copied a file photo of the (wrong) engine bay from the net or elsewhere, maybe because they were too lazy to clean the real engine bay for a photo. The pic you have posted shows a suspiciously clean looking engine bay, it could even be new.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 AM

True True...Hopefully they were just lazy. I'll have to check it out this week...

Old 09-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

the black seats with red inserts seem about right. but the engine does not.

Is there a VIN number associated with the sale? is this the one from Brilliance Auto?

edit: i know which vehicle you're talking about....i saw the ad online, its near my house. came on sale after i bought mine. Carfax shows that its a true XFR. so maybe a previous owner changed the engine cover?

Also, i would call Jaguar Great Neck to get the service history of the car, more specifically what repairs they did when they fixed the car after the accident.

Last edited by carzaddict; 09-05-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:50 AM

You are correct! There is 1 accident stated on the CarFax with the first owner, but if repaired correctly, I wouldn't worry much. Of course I'll have my mechanic check it out. I'll give Jag of Great Neck a call for some history....Thanks! Have you had any experience with Brilliance? B/c what bothers me is their horrendous spelling on the website! "2010 Jaguar XF XFR cARFAX CERTIFIED $79,000 ORIGINAL STICKER PRICE FULLY LOADED bRILLIANCE AUTO A BRILLIANT DECISCION!!!" Can't even spell "DECISION." Hahaha!!!

Last edited by JagXFiRst; 09-05-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I have not dealt with them. the car you're looking at was listed after i purchased mine, so i didnt get the chance to see it. im sure you can find plenty of reviews online about them.

is your mechanic experienced with Jags? I am looking for someone I can trust that has experience with these cars

good luck on your search, if you need any assistance let me know. also if you need any winter tires I have a set for you

also, this is what the engine cover SHOULD look like, it seems like they just changed the one on your car, no big deal

Last edited by carzaddict; 09-05-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for the offer. If/When I buy an XFR, it probably won't see much snow. I use my company car ~80% of the time. I'm replacing my '10 G37xS w/ 54.5K miles of which I've put on ~4K miles on it since I got my current job about 1.5 years ago. The GxS was supposed to be my daily driver (reason I got the "x") after I gave my nephew my '02 WRX wagon. But then I fell into my current job which provided me with an unlimited-personal-use company car. So now I want another RWD fun weekend car to replace the fun(ish), but AWD weekend car; previous cars were '94 DSM Eclipse Turbo (FWD Boo!), '97 e36 M3 sedan (autocross fun!), '04 GTO (not-so-practical at the time); '02 WRX Wagon (this was the beginning of my "practical" car phase)....

As for my mechanic (Jake, owner of Freedman Tire in Edison) begin experienced with Jags...I wouldn't say he's specifically experienced with Jags, but rather has a good knowledge of the "specialty" cars overall. I haven't been there in years since I bought my G. I do a lot of my own maintenance and repairs that I can wrench myself. But he's done tons of work on my M3 and WRX as well as my friends' e39 M5, Z06, and RS4 at the time. They are a local shop that does a lot of "daily" tires and oil changes, so I'd definitely try to schedule an appt....they do get backed-up.

Let me know if you know anyone looking for a pristine 2010 Infiniti G37xS Lakeshore Blue / Slate fully loaded with Anniversary Edition aero package. The ONLY thing it doesn't have is the lighted door sills

Last edited by JagXFiRst; 09-05-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXFiRst
Hmmmm...I wonder why it would have an older engine in it for the MY2010 they stated..I guess I'll have to go visit the dealer and hear what sort of explanation they can give me...
Some of the early 2010 had the 4.2 SC.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Some of the early 2010 had the 4.2 SC.
This is one possibility I'm afraid of...But they did state that it was a 5.0L supercharged V8. Then again did the XFR ever come with the 4.2L SC?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
I have not dealt with them. the car you're looking at was listed after i purchased mine, so i didnt get the chance to see it. im sure you can find plenty of reviews online about them.

is your mechanic experienced with Jags? I am looking for someone I can trust that has experience with these cars

good luck on your search, if you need any assistance let me know. also if you need any winter tires I have a set for you

also, this is what the engine cover SHOULD look like, it seems like they just changed the one on your car, no big deal
Actually if you look closer the intakes look different too...The ones in your pic, coming from the intake boxes to under the cover, look MUCH bigger. Also the two "baffle" pieces on the intake tubing from each side are located in different locations in both pictures...the ones in my picture look as if they are connected in front, the ones in your picture (of a true 5.0L SC and what I'm used to seeing during my research) look as if they are two handles and are not even close to each other...

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 PM

More and more research I do, I think the picture of the engine they supplied is of a 4.2L SC engine...The plot thickens...now it's seems like they are selling a 2010 XFR WITH a 4.2L Supercharged engine?!?!?!

Pic of a 2009 XF Supercharged..

Last edited by JagXFiRst; 09-05-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

This is one possibility I'm afraid of...But they did state that it was a 5.0L supercharged V8. Then again did the XFR ever come with the 4.2L SC?
My recollection is that in the US market the 2010 base model kept the 4.2 engine but the premium, SC and XFR for 2010 all had the 5.0 V8. And 2009 had a SC model (SV8) but I thought XFR only appeared 2010 onwards?

So this one is intriguing. Always possible they didn't have a sharp cutover to the new engines but I'd be surprised if they sold an XFR with the 4.2L.

Can someone run the VIN to get the original factory spec and details - that would answer the questions

Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

I'm 99% sure there was never any such animal as a 4.2 XFR, in any market.
I've had a look at the used car ad and no doubt it is a genuine XFR.
So I'm sticking with my original guess, the seller has simply posted up a stock photo of a new 2009 SC/SV8 engine bay, who knows why.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
My recollection is that in the US market the 2010 base model kept the 4.2 engine but the premium, SC and XFR for 2010 all had the 5.0 V8. And 2009 had a SC model (SV8) but I thought XFR only appeared 2010 onwards?

So this one is intriguing. Always possible they didn't have a sharp cutover to the new engines but I'd be surprised if they sold an XFR with the 4.2L.

Can someone run the VIN to get the original factory spec and details - that would answer the questions
All you've stated is true regarding the XFR only being available with the 5.0L SC and only 2010+...and the 2009 XF Supercharged had the 4.2L SC....

The CarFax states it's a 2010 XFR...So basically if that's the picture of the actual engine in there, then someone took the time and put the $$ into swapping out the 5.0L SC for the 4.2L SC. NOT a clue WHY they would do that...I'm truly hoping they were too lazy to to snap a real pic and just loaded a wrong pic from the net....

I'll check it out tomorrow...wish me luck! I might be a proud new owner of a 2010 XFR!!!!

Last edited by JagXFiRst; 09-05-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

quick search showed the VIN

SAJWA0JC6AMR53002

is this the car you reference?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Very Strange....

Topix reports:

Emission requirements ULEV II REQUIREMENTS
Engine 5.0L SC V8 Petrol
Transmission 6-Speed Automatic 6HP26
Version SERIES 45
Drive LHD
Body style 4 DOOR SEDAN-6 LITE
Colour GLACIER BLUE - JAGUAR
Trim INT VENEER PACK-DK OAK GREY

Not the same car, it would appear...

it's Dark Oak trim, but NOT the correct engine image for this vehicle.
further searching on other sites listing the car, I think they just have the incorrect engine image.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

All you've stated is true regarding the XFR only being available with the 5.0L SC and only 2010+...and the 2009 XF Supercharged had the 4.2L SC....

The CarFax states it's a 2010 XFR...So basically if that's the picture of the actual engine in there, then someone took the time and put the $$ into swapping out the 5.0L SC for the 4.2L SC. NOT a clue WHY they would do that...I'm truly hoping they were too lazy to to snap a real pic and just loaded a wrong pic from the net....

I'll check it out tomorrow...wish me luck! I might be a proud new owner of a 2010 XFR!!!!
good luck! also dont forget to call Jag Great Neck and find out what the accident was

Old 09-06-2016, 07:53 AM

That is the VIN they stated on the website...But the car is starting to creep me out. If I do a Google search on it, the first several listings comes up as Atlanta, Georgia. This car is in Union, NJ...no where near GA, well at least it's on the same coastline! And no where on the CarFax is it listed as going to GA, I mean it had to be there for a stint if it shows up in GA on any sort of search. It's kind of throwing a lot of red flags...

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a '10 XFR...Engine question?