XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Looking to buy a '10 XFR...Engine question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

#1 carfax isnt a source of truth. it contains valuable information, but not everything gets reported

#2 its often cars get passed from dealer to dealer when they go on the auction block. i dont think it has to get reported because technically the car isnt getting titled

#3 if it doesnt feel good, then just back out. no harm no foul. if you want to check it out, by all means.....drive it around. but go with your gut instinct.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called Jag of Great Neck...I asked them politely if I were able to get a history report of the XFR in question. They said only if I were the owner due to privacy laws. Which kind of doesn't make sense. so basically I have to buy the car first, history unknown, THEN I can get a history report? Kinda half-a$$ backwards...Almost like people becoming managers, THEN getting managerial training! Bad manager? Too late they were already promoted to manager!

Yeah I'm going to check it out...the gut has never let me down..and as I get older it gets bigger...does that mean there's more wisdom????

Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXFiRst
Just called Jag of Great Neck...I asked them politely if I were able to get a history report of the XFR in question. They said only if I were the owner due to privacy laws. Which kind of doesn't make sense. so basically I have to buy the car first, history unknown, THEN I can get a history report? Kinda half-a$$ backwards...Almost like people becoming managers, THEN getting managerial training! Bad manager? Too late they were already promoted to manager!

Yeah I'm going to check it out...the gut has never let me down..and as I get older it gets bigger...does that mean there's more wisdom????
First thing I would do when I see the car is get the vin from 2 places in the car (Dash, Driver door jam, Trunk lid) make sure they match, THEN run them to see what exactly the car is? VIN washing a stolen or salvaged car is too dam common to take a chance. Plenty of VIN apps out there, I use Vinny.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-06-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Just called Jag of Great Neck...I asked them politely if I were able to get a history report of the XFR in question. They said only if I were the owner due to privacy laws. Which kind of doesn't make sense. so basically I have to buy the car first, history unknown, THEN I can get a history report? Kinda half-a$$ backwards..
i understand they have a policy in place and at the same time it doesnt make sense. im trying to think of a reason why this would be a privacy issue. did you explain to them you are planning on purchasing it? they probably would have tried to sell you on their PPI

although considering this car has a reported accident, maybe a PPI wouldnt be a bad idea

Old 09-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Just called Jag of Great Neck...I asked them politely if I were able to get a history report of the XFR in question. They said only if I were the owner due to privacy laws. Which kind of doesn't make sense. so basically I have to buy the car first, history unknown
Ask the dealer trying to sell it to you to call Great Neck and get the service history. They are the legal owner so they should be able to get it. If they are not willing to do so, then maybe there is something to hide and I would walk away

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (09-11-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Update I went to see the XFR and yes it's really truly an XFR. The engine cover was proper. So the one picutred online was just that...taken from somewhere online. I'm not sure why, b/c the engine bay looked clean enough when I saw it. The interior was well maintained. Vehicle started right up! BUT it had some sort of knocking/rattling noise coming from the the right (passenger-side) bank of valves. Could have been a pulley. The noise wasn't consistent like tapping valves, more of a knocking/rocking sound...something was loose. It did have some scratches and dings..but it is 6years old and most can possibly be buffed out. But the engine noise didn't sit well with me...So the search continues....Thanks for all the help!!!! I hope to join the Jag ownership soon!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

sorry to hear about that

Old 09-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Update I went to see the XFR and yes it's really truly an XFR. The engine cover was proper. So the one picutred online was just that...taken from somewhere online. I'm not sure why, b/c the engine bay looked clean enough when I saw it. The interior was well maintained. Vehicle started right up! BUT it had some sort of knocking/rattling noise coming from the the right (passenger-side) bank of valves. Could have been a pulley. The noise wasn't consistent like tapping valves, more of a knocking/rocking sound...something was loose. It did have some scratches and dings..but it is 6years old and most can possibly be buffed out. But the engine noise didn't sit well with me...So the search continues....Thanks for all the help!!!! I hope to join the Jag ownership soon!
If the dealer was too dam lazy to take a picture of the engine in the car, I cringe at what else the DID'nt DO..lol, yep keep looking.

MarkN (09-11-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Just did a search, this looks like a STEAL! 2010 Jaguar XF - Union, NJ
Dealer is in NJ Too!

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-08-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Dealer is in NJ Too!
thats the same car he just saw

Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Dealer is in NJ Too!
Yup. That was the one I went to check out....Maybe it didn't grab me right away b/c they removed the big red bow and parked it outside! Haha! It's all about presentation/curb appeal and location location location...right? Sorry...Going a little nutty here..

Old 09-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yup. That was the one I went to check out....Maybe it didn't grab me right away b/c they removed the big red bow and parked it outside! Haha! It's all about presentation/curb appeal and location location location...right? Sorry...Going a little nutty here..
LOL, so this the one with the knock? Wow all those pictures of the right car but wrong engine.. GotCHA.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

They also may have had an 09 there previously and pulled an old photo of the wrong car. I could see it happening pretty easily.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Can't explain things, but depending on month of manufacture it's possible that it is a "hold-over" '09 or early '10. At the end of a production run Jaguar sometimes emptied the "parts bin". Plus there could have been a lot of confusion as Tata took over Jaguar as a new model was going into production.

My "Satin Edition" '08 is a prime example. It is one of the final 750 S-Types made and they used every S-Type part they had left over. My car has certain things that, up to then, had only been available on the STR (chrome mirrors for instance).

But all that nonwithstanding, the 4.2 motor is great. A little less HP than the 5.0 but very, very, stout. The only problem the STR owners very report is the need to replace the coolant line under the supercharger. Other than that, the engines never seem to break.

Continue trying to collect info, but don't be afraid of the 4.2, and other posts were correct no one would ever replace a 5.0 with a 4.2. So if a 4.2 is what it's got, that's the way it left Castle Briomwich.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab

Continue trying to collect info, but don't be afraid of the 4.2, and other posts were correct no one would ever replace a 5.0 with a 4.2. So if a 4.2 is what it's got, that's the way it left Castle Briomwich.
The thing is, the carfax says its a 5.0. so if it says 5.0 and its a 4.2 then there's a bigger issue.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Didn't anybody else notice, the VIN run from Topix reports the car as Glacier Blue. This definitely looks like white to me and the dealer lists as white. They may have the wrong VIN listed. Did you check the VIN on the car with the listing when you looked at it? Yes, very fishy....

Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

There is a 2010 XFR just on for sale in the classifieds for about $24k usd. But it's in Canada - not sure about implications of a Canadian buy?

davo0705 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

as far as I know, there are no implications other than the speedometer gets annoying to look at because kph is on the outside

my car originated in canada, however a dealership brought it into the states, not me. so im not sure if they did any extra paperwork. but as far as i know its easier to bring into the US than into Canada

davo0705 (09-20-2016)