XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lost Key, Ebay and Dealer Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost Key, Ebay and Dealer Programming

After losing my only key for my 09 XF S/C last weekend and not finding a wealth of information online regarding their replacement, I figured I'd share my experience. Initially I contacted a Jaguar dealer in Houston and was pretty shocked at the key cost and programming cost, it totaled around $400. Since we could survive with one car for a little while I decided to search Ebay and found several people selling new replacements with ads that specifically stated they would need to be professionally programmed at the dealer. A couple folks have stated in other threads to be wary of the Ebay sellers and that the keys are probably junk and wouldn't work. I decided to purchase one anyway to try it out because worse case would be I have to return it and by a dealer key anyway. I set my appointment up with Momentum Jaguar in Houston this Tuesday and had it towed in that morning. We dropped the car off with the key from Ebay and a couple hours later we have a new working smart key. The programming cost was $124.00 plus tax. So total cost of about $180.00. Not near as awful as the originally quoted $400. I had a pretty good experience at Momentum and would definitely go back if something comes up that I can't handle myself. Hopefully this will help someone else out there. People definitely do a lot of speculating on the internet and assume the only answer for everything is the dealer, but there are other avenues and you can save good money.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (06-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

If I were you, I would invest in a second key ASAP.

The following 2 users liked this post by hlgeorge:
edensspeedshopllc (01-27-2022), MarkN (06-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd key!?! I'm going to be careful this time...

Kidding aside, I figure since the dealer will get me for another $124.00 whether I bring one or two keys in - in the event this one is misplaced I can buy two for about $90 off ebay and pay the $124.00 to program both at that time.

The only reason I didn't purchase two upfront is because I wasn't entirely sure it would be programmable...

Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will recommend you to buy your XF key Fob. They are new and Genuine Jaguar Part. I have just purchase two for $100 for the 315 Mhz. eBay My World - remoteoverstock

Old 09-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Default Lost Jaguar XF key

I have lost my key as well and need a new one. Where did you get your replacement key fob on eBay. I can't find any for under 170 bucks. If you could call me and give me any further help I would appreciate it. 713-254-4581

Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 AM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

I've seen quite a few posts like this and did the same thing myself. Honestly, I think you're probably pretty safe with most of those keys - just make sure you don't order one that's used. Supposedly they can't be re-programmed (can't vouch for that though).
I bought one on ebay that's no longer available and had it programmed at the dealer without any issue as well.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I hate ebay keys cause half the time they wont program. But I do buy mine from ebay but only a genuine Jaguar ones in the jaguar bag. Uh and i program myself

Old 10-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I hate ebay keys cause half the time they wont program. But I do buy mine from ebay but only a genuine Jaguar ones in the jaguar bag. Uh and i program myself
How do you do that?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>How do you do that?

He's a Jaguar tech. He's got all the toys :-)
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 hp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

The following 2 users liked this post by pab:
Brutal (03-30-2017), MarkN (11-17-2016)
Old 10-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8ertot
I've seen quite a few posts like this and did the same thing myself. Honestly, I think you're probably pretty safe with most of those keys - just make sure you don't order one that's used. Supposedly they can't be re-programmed (can't vouch for that though).
I bought one on ebay that's no longer available and had it programmed at the dealer without any issue as well.
I made this account just to chime in and help others. I purchased 2 used key fobs on ebay. i called several locksmiths and they stated it cannot be programmed it must be new fob. One guy said he will try and if it doesnt work then he will wait for the additional computer program that should basically unlock all keys (think iphone unlock software) well the locksmith came out and she was able to program one of the 2 fobs. We swapped batteries to make sure it wasnt the battery's fault on the 2nd fob and it didnt work still>
the answer to the old age question is YES old key fobs can be reprogrammed and im living proof that it works. I searched forums forever to find this answer and there is so much conflicting information out there.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brian Hallman:
franksm (11-23-2015), MarkN (06-02-2016), n8ertot (10-31-2015)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

If you live in the greater LA area and have a new replacement key that needs to be cut and programmed, FYI I just got my 2002 XJR new replacement key cut and programmed for only $65.00, which is less than half of what a dealer wants for similar service. The place, which is located some 5 miles from LAX, is called Manchester Lock and Security and took about 30 minutes to get it done.

I've kept postponing the programming of this new key because every relevant place that I called said they'd do most cars but NOT Jaguars, plus the fact that I feared what I believed was excessive charges from Jaguar dealers, that was until I found this place, thank God; now I have two sets of programmed FOB's and keys.

However, I do not have a green key for this car. Could somebody clarify for me what the differences are between black and green keys in regards to cutting and programming? Help would be appreciated, thank you.

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 06-01-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

good for you. Not sure what u mean by Green and Black keys. I have a 09 XF SC so i dont believe the terms would be relative. im on the exact opposite side in Orlando, FL

Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

green key is a valet key

Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brian Hallman
good for you. Not sure what u mean by Green and Black keys. I have a 09 XF SC so i dont believe the terms would be relative. im on the exact opposite side in Orlando, FL
Well, I stated that I was talking about my 2002 XJR and these cars came with two different keys; a black key, which is the main key with all the features, and a green key, which is the key you give to the valet parking person. The green key is the one I'm missing. I was not referring to later 2000's cars.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
green key is a valet key
Of course, but my question refers to the potential differences vs the black key in regards to programming and key cutting.

Cheers,

Old 06-04-2016, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's the way they're cut.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's the way they're cut.
Thanks, JagV8, it makes sense, as I was mentally comparing to the way my XJS works: The black key will physically lock and unlock the lid by turning it either way and the green key cannot do that. So, I imagine that, when you lock the X308 boot lid with the black key, it must also electrically lock the lid operating buttons (one inside on the dash board and one on the boot lid, itself), thus rendering all boot entries off limits.

So, this would mean that, if I buy the new green key that I'm missing, I only need to have it cut, but not programmed, is this correct you think?
But then, how can they cut it if I don't bring them an original key with me to copy from?

Thanks, again.

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 06-04-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Default 09 XF SC Key

Originally Posted by Brian Hallman
Hi Brian. I live in Miami and also have an 09 XF SC that I lost the key to this past weekend. Did you find a fix to this? Beyond needing a new key to start the car I also have the issue that I cannot even get into my car in my garage at the moment because it is locked. I found a used OEM key on eBay and want to buy if it will be programmable. Did I read correctly that you were able to find a locksmith that can program it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Jayars16

Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My story on key replacement:

The quote form the dealer was crazy high, so I went the ebay route. The first one I bought was from the Orient - can't remember if it was Korea or China. When it arrived, it was a Honda key! After going through a number of emails with the supplier in which I consistently told him, "Yes, I want a Jaguar key and not a Honda key," I had ebay refund my payment.

The second key I bought (also from the Orient) looked to be correct. I paid a locksmith to cut the physical key (being aluminum, it was a bit of a problem, but he finally got it), then took it to a dealer to program it (which also worked but was unfairly expensive, I thought.

The problem is that the rectangular plastic case does not fit into the docking port under the dash - close, but no banana. Rather than going through the hassle again, I'm keeping it and hoping that I never have the need to put it in the dock.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i need a second key and I'm hesitant to order one off ebay. some say it'll work, some say it wont. I also wish I knew someone close to me that can program it for me. im trying to avoid the ***********

putting the key in the dock is only important if the battery dies in the remote and you still need to drive the car. something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: Lost Key, Ebay and Dealer Programming