XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Mina Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mina Pulley

Have been thinking about buying the Mina pulley, for my XF. Does anyone know if installing this will void the warranty on my '10? What if Jag did the install? Thanks!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Default Mina Pulley

I too am considering putting the Mina pulley for my 2010 XF Supercharged, so did you do it and if so, how you like it? Would like to see performance numbers on this upgrade. I think it is the R pulley we would be adding to the SC. Any problems for the ECU with this upgrade?

thanks,

Mike

http://www.minagallery.com/

Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM

I haven't done it yet. The cat is asleep for the winter, so it's a good time to plan it. I am also interested in seeing what kind of numbers it will put up. I'm still kicking it out. Its kind of sketchy though, that car has so much power now, I can't even imagine adding 15 - 20 more horsepower.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There is never enough POWER!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by uropnm6
There is never enough POWER!

True dat.

Going for the mods, ordered the Mina pulley and exhaust for my 2010 XF Supercharged..hey its Christmas and I want a present. Those two should put me close to 500hp per Mina, up in R territory for $18K less. We'll see. Will try to get it dyno'd before and after.

Mike

Old 12-25-2010, 01:50 PM

I was pondering the same question. Was thinking of getting the Minas pulley for the R. its a pretty simple mod that can me done in a n hours time or even less with the right tools.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

The 5.0 R engines have a different Eaton blower called the TVS. This one is a big leap from the old M112 and comes a bit closer to the twin-screwm so it can offer a better efficiency at a higher boost level than the older M112 on the 4.2 R engines.

But there is a catch, currently the torque curve is kept lower on the 5.0 than the engines possibilitiy, so best would be to first get this limitation out, and then change the pulley to get the full benifit over the full power curve.

PS, please keep in mind this is a pulley (round piece of metal) which any machine shop could make for 1/5th of the price !

Old 01-01-2011, 04:07 PM

My dealer did my pulley and blower porting...well THEY didn't but they had it sent out. Kept the warranty. I would think not all dealers are interested though. Any that also own other brand dealers problem don't look highly on it because so many tuners try to take advantage of warranties on modded cars that the dealers don't think they should cover. Jad doesn't have that problem so much.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Who told you that would not void the warranty? Do you have that in writing? Your warranty is valid however if something was to fail due to the upgrade or the supercharger itself failed it would not be covered. The reality is you will probally never have an issue with supercharger.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Forced Air, which dealer did the work for you? How much did they charge for everything?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
Who told you that would not void the warranty? Do you have that in writing? Your warranty is valid however if something was to fail due to the upgrade or the supercharger itself failed it would not be covered. The reality is you will probally never have an issue with supercharger.
yes it is in writing...but I doubt it would be necessary. They had a very yea "yea sure we can do it" and "we always cover our work" mentality about it.

Jag honestly just hasn't had the problems with tuners other brands have.

And even if they didn't....they can only void any part that they can prove the modifications were at fault for breaking. - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Originally Posted by jasona
Forced Air, which dealer did the work for you? How much did they charge for everything?
scottsdale Jag in AZ

Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I can second that! I had a Mina pulley put on in 2006 by a dealer in Northern California and there were no warranty issues other than the pulley itself or damage it would cause to the supercharger (shaft or bearings). They also installed my lowering springs and exhaust. In fact they later replaced my CATS electrically adustable shocks in the front under warranty and were fully aware of the aftermarket springs because they installed them, and the blue color is a dead giveaway too.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Will the dealer pay if Jaguar doesn't (rightfully)? That's something you better have in writing me thinks.

A mild pulley will not make a big difference, so there I can understand the dealer accepts the small risk if he takes the bill, but obviously Jaguar doesn't have to oblige if they know the engine has been tinkered with.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by avos
Will the dealer pay if Jaguar doesn't (rightfully)? That's something you better have in writing me thinks.

A mild pulley will not make a big difference, so there I can understand the dealer accepts the small risk if he takes the bill, but obviously Jaguar doesn't have to oblige if they know the engine has been tinkered with.
Like I said...the magnuson-moss act requires Jag to pay for anything that they can't prove the aftermarket part in question caused...the burden is on them....so...

for example...more boost, you would think o.k. that would mean void the whole powertrain cause more power...but...many manufacturers have higher out put versions of the same engine in a shared powertrain or at least shared components powered by a higher out put engine.

In addition, say you are at 4000 ft elevation...well jag has to warranty for anywhere you can drive...meaning they have to have parts that could take the power out put at the U.S.'s lowest elevation in perfect conditions. Which very likely is a good bit more than your car makes on a given day....a little light modding only makes up the difference.

Plus it would be very hard to say that a lighter pulley damaged anything when the dealer installed it. (lighter = less strain on bearings, etc.) And when it is only make 30 more crank hp .... imagine them trying to claim their parts were so under built they couldn't stand 30 extra, they would break just from spin in some ice then catching dry pavement.

Examples go on and on. I have helped argue stuff like this in court when friends ran into problems in things like Evos, and whatnot over stuff like this. The dealer has to prove it...you just stand there and refute bogus claims...it is easy unless you truly are trying to pull something (100% increases in power and still trying to get blown motors fixed, etc.)

Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You seem to not get the point, the only part on your car you have voided the warranty on is the supercharger, however if you have any engine failure then it is not the dealer who makes the call on what is or isn't warranty it is Jaguar. The engine requires an authorization from Jaguar requiring what is call a "FRED". Any dealer tech knows what this can require. It is not uncommon for them to inspect the car to see the defect in workmanship & materials. I think if your supercharger failed while under the 7/70 emissions warranty ( it is classified as an emissions item) it would be sent back to Jaguar & rejected. All warranty claims are subject to audit which can include parts inspection & rejection if a part is found to be modified. The reality is I have modified many of these superchargers quite a bit more than you have & never had a failure. I just find your felling that it would just be covered under warranty for the reasons you have stated to be quite out of touch with reality. That being said I will probally put a smaller upper pulley on my 2011 XJL come spring time as well as a reflash.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
You seem to not get the point, the only part on your car you have voided the warranty on is the supercharger, however if you have any engine failure then it is not the dealer who makes the call on what is or isn't warranty it is Jaguar. The engine requires an authorization from Jaguar requiring what is call a "FRED". Any dealer tech knows what this can require. It is not uncommon for them to inspect the car to see the defect in workmanship & materials. I think if your supercharger failed while under the 7/70 emissions warranty ( it is classified as an emissions item) it would be sent back to Jaguar & rejected. All warranty claims are subject to audit which can include parts inspection & rejection if a part is found to be modified. The reality is I have modified many of these superchargers quite a bit more than you have & never had a failure. I just find your felling that it would just be covered under warranty for the reasons you have stated to be quite out of touch with reality. That being said I will probally put a smaller upper pulley on my 2011 XJL come spring time as well as a reflash.
oh no i completely no how it works. I worked at dealerships for a decent amount of time. I was just stating what the law says, since several didn't seem to know.

If it came down to it. It is unlikely Jag would not be able to void a whole engine for a 2 psi pulley, unless you let them.

Regardless, yes I do have it warrantied in writing so....

Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Regardless of law in the US (somewhat different here in the EU), I would prefer it in writing instead of verbal, no need then to challenge Jaguar in court (eventhough I know that such a mild change should not cause any issues).

Have you dynoed your car? I think many would be interested to know what a ported eaton could bring...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

yes even with the law dealers still manage to void warranties for many people who don't know there stuff. That is why I try to get it out there.

I haven't dynoed it yet. The only thing I don't like about the dealer doing it is I didn't get to see how much porting and polishing was done myself. I plan to dyno, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Forced Air
yes even with the law dealers still manage to void warranties for many people who don't know there stuff. That is why I try to get it out there.

I haven't dynoed it yet. The only thing I don't like about the dealer doing it is I didn't get to see how much porting and polishing was done myself. I plan to dyno, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Forced air.

You have a 2009. WHich pulley do you have? Does the intake on mina fit our cars? I am having a hard time figuring out which pulley and if there is an intake we can use.