XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Misfires caused by fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Misfires caused by fuel injectors?

My 2012 sfb 5.0 with 77k was running completely fine when I parked it the other night. Next morning it immediately started having misfires through all 8 cylinders. Jaguar is saying it is from 1 or 2 fuel injectors going bad. They want to replace all 8 as “they tend to go around same time” and update computer software. This is to the tune of $4700! Does this sound right to anyone? Seems odd that 1 or 2 would cause problem that wide and that they would go bad at same time. Also don’t exactly understand rationale of removing all 8 with only 77k on the car. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Sorry, should have said model XF, not sfb.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I have a brand new set of jaguar oem fuel injectors in the box for $600 shipped if they will let you supply the parts. Pm if interested. And yes alot of work to replace a couple, especially if not on the same side

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

IF you have an extended warranty it should/would cover injectors. I know my extended warranty does.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Check your supply fuel pressure, multiple injectors going bad overnight is rare but, a fuel pump going bad overnight is not.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigg will
check your supply fuel pressure, multiple injectors going bad overnight is rare but, a fuel pump going bad overnight is not.
they all didnt go bad at once. Only 2 but they rec. Replacing them all since a lot of labor for 1 or 2. I would do plugs too since youre right there.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rooroo
My 2012 sfb 5.0 with 77k was running completely fine when I parked it the other night. Next morning it immediately started having misfires through all 8 cylinders. Jaguar is saying it is from 1 or 2 fuel injectors going bad. They want to replace all 8 as “they tend to go around same time” and update computer software. This is to the tune of $4700! Does this sound right to anyone? Seems odd that 1 or 2 would cause problem that wide and that they would go bad at same time. Also don’t exactly understand rationale of removing all 8 with only 77k on the car. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
I have nothing to sell, only a though on his symptoms cause Brutal.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
I have nothing to sell, only a though on his symptoms cause Brutal.
Bigg Will read the next sentence after your highlight...….Jaguar is saying it is from 1 or 2 fuel injectors going bad

Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM

the issue causing all eight cylinders to show misfires is generally because when a couple injectors hang open and dump fuel it drops the fuel pressure so much at idle in the rails that other injectors are not spraying correctly also. Also if they are dumping fuel and you smell fuel out the exhaust I ALWAYS change the oil because it will be diluted.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Bigg Will read the next sentence after your highlight...….Jaguar is saying it is from 1 or 2 fuel injectors going bad
And we both know Jaguar is always correct right? With such definitive terms like "1 or 2 injectors going bad"..lol, next Jag will tell him the bad injectors are actually on opposing sides sir, so you'll need all 8...lol

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-26-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

the issue causing all eight cylinders to show misfires is generally because when a couple injectors hang open and dump fuel it drops the fuel pressure so much at idle in the rails that other injectors are not spraying correctly also. Also if they are dumping fuel and you smell fuel out the exhaust I ALWAYS change the oil because it will be diluted.
A direct injected engine, with 2 stuck open injectors, dumping enough fuel to cause misfires on all 8 cylinders but doesn't liquid lock the engine? Now that's new to me...
As I said, I have nothing to sell here, only advice to give, and the same symptoms he is having could be caused by a bad low pressure supply fuel pump = less $$$ to be had in this fix for the dealership than replacing injectors.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-26-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
A direct injected engine, with 2 stuck open injectors, dumping enough fuel to cause misfires on all 8 cylinders but doesn't liquid lock the engine? Now that's new to me...
As I said, I have nothing to sell here, only advice to give, and the same symptoms he is having could be caused by a bad low pressure supply fuel pump = less $$$ to be had in this fix for the dealership than replacing injectors.
You might think, however this is the most common failure we see as they operate under on up to 6000psi and they do fail not closing or closing all the way in addition to deposits creating terrible spray patterns and misfires as well. We have only had 2 lockup and kill the engines and both were Rovers.
And I realized you think that because I offered a set of injectors my opinion of the repair would be different??? please don't be insulting. I bought 3 sets a long time ago when they were much much more expensive to repair a couple cars and have a couple sets left. The price I quoted is much less than I paid now that prices have dropped and at 57 I selling off all the parts I have at my shop behind the house. I make good money at the dealer for 22 years now a want to work more on my race car and other projects. obviously I would prefer to at least break even but like a loosing stock its often better to just cut your losses and move on. if he wanted 2 ,8 or none I don't care. was just offering a much less expensive alternative to what he was quoted. I still STAND BY the recommendation of replacing the injectors if not the set if they are in fact on opposite banks. if not then at least the affected bank. youre having to pull the rails, replace the bad ones as well as reseal the old ones and reinstall those. I don't charge extra money for that you are only buying parts. ITS NOTHING MORE THAT A EXPERIENCED RECOMMENDATION. No more, no less. just like a radiator job Im doing on a friends 04 XJR. recommended radiator hoses be replaced now since its parts only and no labor while the radiator is out of the way. He appreciated that, other may not and consider its overselling or over repairing. I don't and its nothing more than a option. I still stand by what I said whether selling something or not. And you ARE selling something. Youre selling your non industry or experience opinion on advise as being more valuable than mine because I offered him a option to save a lot of money on parts??? please don't be so insulting you don't know me.

Last edited by Brutal; 06-26-2019 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kiddhan625 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

You might think, however this is the most common failure we see as they operate under on up to 6000psi and they do fail not closing or closing all the way in addition to deposits creating terrible spray patterns and misfires as well. We have only had 2 lockup and kill the engines and both were Rovers.
And I realized you think that because I offered a set of injectors my opinion of the repair would be different??? please don't be insulting. I bought 3 sets a long time ago when they were much much more expensive to repair a couple cars and have a couple sets left. The price I quoted is much less than I paid now that prices have dropped and at 57 I selling off all the parts I have at my shop behind the house. I make good money at the dealer for 22 years now a want to work more on my race car and other projects. obviously I would prefer to at least break even but like a loosing stock its often better to just cut your losses and move on. if he wanted 2 ,8 or none I don't care. was just offering a much less expensive alternative to what he was quoted. I still STAND BY the recommendation of replacing the injectors if not the set if they are in fact on opposite banks. if not then at least the affected bank. youre having to pull the rails, replace the bad ones as well as reseal the old ones and reinstall those. I don't charge extra money for that you are only buying parts. ITS NOTHING MORE THAT A EXPERIENCED RECOMMENDATION. No more, no less. just like a radiator job Im doing on a friends 04 XJR. recommended radiator hoses be replaced now since its parts only and no labor while the radiator is out of the way. He appreciated that, other may not and consider its overselling or over repairing. I don't and its nothing more than a option. I still stand by what I said whether selling something or not. And you ARE selling something. Youre selling your non industry or experience opinion on advise as being more valuable than mine because I offered him a option to save a lot of money on parts??? please don't be so insulting you don't know me.
No one was being insulting, My retort was simple a RESPONSE to your telling me what I should be reading when you weren't giving attention to what the customer was saying HIS car was doing, and then jumping on the wagon with the shops recommendation, and offering up your injectors for sale. See I have a problem with a diagnosis that quotes you a high *** $$$$ amount but gives no definitive answer as to what is truly wrong, as the Jags dealers diagnosis of "1 or 2" fuel injectors are going bad, BUT THEY WANT TO REPLACE ALL 8 AND DO A COMPUTER UPDATE for $4700? That is what I, and most would call throwing money at a problem. And based on the info posted, the even less expensive route of testing and possibly just replacing the tank mounted supply pump had NOT even been looked at, and ANY experienced mechanic knows you don't troubleshoot from the middle of a problem.
And while I can appreciate that you did and do work on Jags but as you pointed out, 'you don't know me' either. Direct injection may be new to the automotive industry but it's old tech in the Aircraft and Diesel industry and as a United States Air Force Master tech

I saw and repaired direct injection used in everything from 72 kw,1 ka , 400hz, 3 phase diesel generators (A/M32A-86) to small turbines used to start and or power jet aircraft (MA-1A, A/M32-60B). The injectors may be newer on the Jag but the operating principle and results are the same. You take care Brutal, and sorry Rooroo for the thread hijack.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 06-29-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for the constructive input. I should add that the coolant overflow reservoir was empty and the exhaust is puffing some white smoke. Seems to me to possibly be an intake problem. A bad head gasket should affect one side or other but not cause misfires on both banks. At this point think I am taking in from Jag and to an independent mechanic who has some specialization in Jags. Would appreciate any other thoughts.