XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Redesigned fuel neck caused rattle/clunk in rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Redesigned fuel neck caused rattle/clunk in rear

Ever since I had the TSB fuel neck job performed due to issues with filling the tank, I have experienced a rattle when hitting jarring bumps.

At first I was not connecting that it was caused from the repaired fuel neck and discovered that both rear struts were leaking (car only has 25K miles) so I had them replaced under warranty thinking that would solve my issues.

Issue still remained so I kept looking. I eventually discovered that the fuel neck was not securely attached and had considerable “play” inside the filler cavity.

So I removed the wheel splash shield and discovered something a bit odd.

The “new” redesigned fuel neck had a mounting bracket with hole where it butted up against the stock splash shroud but the original shroud did not have a matching hole. I drilled a new hole in the plastic splash shroud and used a black 10mm bolt/nut and now the neck is solidly fixed to the shroud. A quick test drive provided good results. The true test will be tomorrow on the 40 mile round trip to work if it fixed the rattle. Below you will see where I installed the new bolt to securely attach the redesigned fuel neck to the splash shield.

Attached Thumbnails Redesigned fuel neck caused rattle/clunk in rear-ac470557-c29f-463e-837a-89b773ed4407.jpeg