XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need help on clarification of XF

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on clarification of XF

Hey guys im not sure if im beating a dead horse but im about to make a large purchase on a vehicle and want to be sure. any info would help me. im buying a new car soon and ive been looking at some 2009-10 XF supercharged jags. Ive read about quite a few problems with them and its making me hesitant to buy. Can anyone shed some light on this info? ive read everything from the car not starting to transmission problems. i realize that people generally post negative comments online which is why i came here to see and get the enthusiats point of view. However i looked at J.D. Power and it got pretty bad reviews on reliability. Any info would be appreciated.
Some extra info would be that its going to be a daily driven car, (if you can call it that.) I live in NY and most of my driving is on the weekends out to long island.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a 2009 XF SC with 35k miles. All the bugs were worked out prior to purchase and over te 6k miles since I owned, I have had three minor issues.
1. Battery died..replaced under warranty

2. Passenger side auto window didn't worked..replaced switch under warranty

3. Engine light came on, codes were associated with lean gas issues..fixed under warranty.

Would I purchase this car again...you bet I would..I love it and enjoy all the many features it offers.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks watchgeek. lol 38 views and one opinion.anybody else ?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Also bought a 09 xfsc, had 44k miles. First weekend I had the car the power steering pump went out. Replaced under warranty. Besides that it's been awesome.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

You like the car, go for it. Worried about the issues you may run into? Buy a Certified Pre-Owned XF, which comes with 6 year/100,000 miles warranty - bumper to bumper.

Whether it's Jaguar/BMW/Mercedes/ or any other car brand for that matter, they are never going to be able to satisfy every consumer. So, you are always going to run into somebody who is gonnna complain about the specific car you could be possibly interested in.

As i always say, you can spend $15,000 on a new car up to half of million for a Roll Royce and every car in between is going to come with it's own issues. There is the good bunch and the bad bunch. Just have to find the right one, little bit of luck helps too.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I have had some minor issues wit hmy 09 XF S/C but nothing major and the dealer has taken care of it. Most of it is little common fixes,nothing with motor or trans.
For the $ amount I say its a good buy if there is still a warranty on it. No warranty, then would not touch it.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd say the most common issue was a cold solder joint in the shift mechanism on the early XF's. It was the cause of most of the initial complaints because the car wouldn't shift in/out of park. Jaguar switched suppliers and fixed the issue. A recall is out so make sure that is fixed if you pick one up.

My 09 SC XF has been pretty good (I have a CPO bumper to bumper 100k warranty on mine). I had a few shifter issues before that recall but it's been fine since the fix. I have had a few other problems and I'd admit they are probably more than I would expect. I really love the XF though. There isn't much out there like it and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I might have waited for a 2012 or at least the 5.0L SC version.

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

My 09 XF-SC has 37K miles and I've only had a few issues.

1. Recall for shifter change even though I never had any problems with it.
2. Rear brake pads needed replacment which is fairly common with this model.
3. Nav system had some initial software errors that were cured by a 2009/2010 Nav disc install.
4. Rear door sill plate popped off and replaced under warranty.
5. Driver door mirror motor failed and replaced under warranty.
6. Third set of tires required. Replaced with pilot super sports that I'll transfer to a 2012 SC.

Last edited by Jerry S; 03-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Only the transmission selector which must be changed out completely on the 2009 cars affected by this fault, a check engine light software issue affecting only some 09 cars used at higher elevations requiring a software re-flash to cure, no driveability issues only a false CEL, and a potentially serious TPMS sensor fault are problems my car suffered from. It is important to get a full set of four current design TPMS sensors installed ASAP. Everyone should get this done as there have been reports of catastrophic failures of these otherwise modestly priced and totally useless but mandatory parts.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe if you research any other make of high end car your results will be similar. When buying expensive used cars that are expensive to repair it pays to buy one that still has a couple of years of factory warranty left. Better yet lease a new one and give it back when you're done with it. Cheapest way to drive expensive cars. As for opinions, makes no difference what make, they all have owners who swear by them and owners who swear at them. It's just that the ones who swear at them are more motivated to talk about it.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Now thats what i wanted to see. Thanks for all the replies. I do understand some things go wrong but i read on a few sites of big things so thats why i asked. How can i tell if this stuff has been replaced or fixed on the jag i buy? Carfax? i am looking at getting one with warranty still on it, i also am looking into an extended warranty through carchex. The thread on here got me interested in it. Also someone mentioned navigation problems that were fixed with a disc. Where could i get it? Also Should i try to look for a 2010 because of less issues???

How have your dealers been? i live in NY and ive read some bad reviews about them here. If it is still under warranty i want things to be replaced if need be. I really do appreciate all the help. My choices are broad but its down to
07 Audi S6, 09 ML350, 08 Porshe Cayenne S, 2011 Caddy CTS, and the Jag.

I looked at the C300 but i think its too small, and i dont like BMW's new look and i know quite a few people who drive the courtesy car more than thier car cuz something is always wrong. The audi A6 bores me unless it has the S-line package but you can never seem to find a good one. I HAVE NOT DRIVEN ANY of these yet. Im flying down to florida on the 28th and im going to shop around while im down there. Thats why im asking now so i can be prepared, plus im trying to thin my list down.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As with most redesigns, the teething/manufacturing issues/problems of the early XF's would have been worked out by the 2010-11 model years.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A jag dealer can determine if all the appropriate service bulletins/recalls have been accomplished on the vehicle. I would imagine that someone may have already installed a 2009/2010 or later Nav disc. They are DVDs and come as a 2-disc set, one for the East half and one for West half of North America. The date is marked on the discs. Make sure that both discs are with the vehicle. If not, make the dealer furnish both and maybe you'll get a later set. If they are present, but are not 2009/2010 or later discs, you'll probably have to order them from the dealer. The sets are available for $199 and are updated once a year.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Buy one, they are good cars.

I bought a 2009 XF SC with 65k miles, put new wheels and tires on it, had all the fluids swapped out and drive it daily like a sports car! The Jaguar drive selector is always in 's' and the dynamic mode engaged, I manually shift it with the paddle shifters and rarely let the rpm fall below 2000 in city driving. I routinely rev it above 5000 rpm and love the throttle blip on downshift, the car is fun to drive and runs great! All the usual things had been repaired under warranty before I bought it ie shifter, fuel filler door, tpms control module. I have already put over 5k miles on it and plan on many thousands more to come and am not worried in the least.

If you like it, buy it, there will always be a small percentage of vehicles no matter the brand that will give their unlucky owners trouble, the majority don't experience major failures.

My car has been driven a lot and basically only experienced the known issues, life's to short to worry, buy one and drive it, you'll love it! Oh yeah, my car has no warranty left on it, bought it anyway and so far so good.