XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need help with making my final choice of new car

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with making my final choice of new car

Hey guys I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I will be buying a new car in a month or two and I wanted some opinions on the matter. Been driving a VW Touran and a Subaru Tribeca till now I wanted to switch to something more executive so I stopped my eyes on the Jaguar XF and BMW 530d. Since this is a Jaguar forum I don't want to make any enemies from the start I just want honest opinions and information from people on both models since a couple of test drives or miles won't give me the same info as the one people who have had the vehicle for longer period of time. So with that said let the info about the Jaguar start flooding in.

Thanks for everything in advance guys !

Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Jaguar will have a superior ride. Diesel BMW has a superior engine. BMW will hold its resale value better.

Jaguar is far better looking and by far the nicer drive. The rougher the road the more superior you will find the Jaguar to be to live with daily.

Much better looking car for London than any German car!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Not sure what engine choices you are looking for the XF? Most of us here in the US are driving the V8 which is an excellent choice for these shores. I think in London you have the choice for an also excellent 3.0 diesel which could tempt me with its gas mileage.

As to which to chose? For me the choice is clear cut; the Jaguar. Not only it is on par with the BMW when it comes to handling but, I think it is far more exclusive, better looking and, well; it is a JAGUAR. BMWs are so dime-a-dozen, at least so in the US. Also, I do not care for the styling of the new BMW line.

Good luck with your choice,

Albert

Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

They are both very good cars, in terms of reliability, performance, comfort.

It really just comes down to the styling. Which do you like more?

Which XF model are you looking at? Diesel? V6SC? If that's the case, Jaguar's performance may be slightly superior.

XF exterior - beautiful silhouette and a timeless design.
XF interior - one of the most important elements for me personally, as that's where we spend most of the time. It's very cossetting. You will feel royal....

BMW's 5 series is a somewhat of a legendary car - the grandfather of the mid size sport sedans. I never attempted to drive the F10 as the interiors in them are very mundane. Which is a big turn off.
You may find the entertainment system in the BMW better/faster than the one in the Jaguar, if you care...

Just for comparison, i did drive the E550 vs XF. I would have to say, the XF has much more of a split personality. It can be an outstanding cruiser and it can be thrown it into corners as if you were driving a 911.

Lastly, you have to spend extra 10,000 quids in a BMW/Merc to receive what the XF will offer at much lower price point.

Turbo Diesel Comparo: BMW 520d vs Audi A6 TDI, Jag XF, MB E300, Lexus GS450h - 2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10

Last edited by Executive; 05-08-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the fast responses guys and the positive feedback. For the engines on the Jaguar I have decided the Jaguar XF 3.0 TDV6 240 and on the bmw either the normal 530d 245ps diesel or the xdrive version of it. As mentioned above for London yes the Jag is definitely the better choice but the car won't be only in London it will probably spend equal time in London as well as Bulgaria where I come from and that's why I wanted more info on the Jag specially since back home the BMW service is on a far better level than the Jag.

As far as repair parts come are they cheaper or on the same level as the BMW I am asking both people from Europe and US.