XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need oil filter wrench

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Need oil filter wrench

Time to change the oil on my wife's 2013 XF 3.0L SC. It's the first time I'm doing the changing as we just bought it last winter and before this it was done at the dealer. Where can I get a filter wrench to open the top of the filter cannister? I tried a heavy strap wrench but it won't budge. I believe it's 88mm wide and has 15 flats. It's ridiculously tight.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Take it to the dealer. No dipstick so you will not be able to tell if the sump is correctly filled. There's no official drain plug either.

Oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months, why do you think it's due now?

You will have trouble with your warranty if you DYI during warranty.

Why do people still think it's ok to change their own oil?

Last edited by jagular; 07-14-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Take it to the dealer. There's no official drain plug either.
There absolutely is a drain plug just like any other car, that subject has been beat to death. Unless for some reason the removed the drain plug on the v6 which is silly if something happens to the extraction tube.

See below pic and the shop manual instructions are in this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1153800

Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Of course there's a drain plug but it's not intended to be used unless there's a serious issue. You should not be DYI servicing a car under warranty. That's plain crazy.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
Of course there's a drain plug but it's not intended to be used unless there's a serious issue. You should not be DYI servicing a car under warranty. That's plain crazy.
Why??? If you are using the correct fluid and filters who cares? If someone gets their panties in a bunch because I changed my own oil instead of paying 3x the price that is their problem.

These cars have terrible resale anyway so that will not factor into the equation.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
Why??? If you are using the correct fluid and filters who cares? If someone gets their panties in a bunch because I changed my own oil instead of paying 3x the price that is their problem.

These cars have terrible resale anyway so that will not factor into the equation.
Ever figure out how much you save by doing your own oil changes? I have. My charge out rate is over $400 per hour....

Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Contrary to Canadian belief...Changing your oil yourself, along with being self sufficient, will give you the chance to explore under the hood and under the car for any developing problems, but hey, that's just plain crazy ya know.....However you WILL NOT void any warranty as long as you follow the schedule or better and you use the recommended oil and amount...On the other hand, if your service packet that came with the car includes a certain number of FREE oil changes, then yes, by all means have the dealer do it for now...But while they're doing it, pay a visit to the service bay area (most decent dealership service depts. will allow you to visit back there)..(PR work)..Then ask the Service tech what kind of wrench for the filter he uses and any details about the "un-official" mystery emergency Oil Pan Drain Plug.

You'll be surprised to learn that a lot of the service techs will drain the oil via that plug, if they are under the belly panel for some other reason and your in time for an oil change..I know all this first hand from two major dealerships in my area.

Good luck and enjoy your Jag.

Last edited by DPK; 07-14-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

A few days ago I tried to undo the oil filter canister on my 2010 XFR and it would not budge. I tried multigrips and two different filter wrenches but no dice. The canister was covered in dings and scratches so I reckon the grease monkeys at the dealers had used stilsons to undo it, and then overtightened it.
I then bought one of these SCA Oil Filter Wrench - 82-95mm - Supercheap Auto Australia
and removed the filter canister no worries.
The secret is the rubber lining on the inside edge, which grips the canister without slipping.
This is an Oz product but surely you can buy much the same thing in the States.
As the S/C V6 is the same basic engine design as the 5.0 V8 I'm guessing that the oil filter canister is exactly the same.
Alternatively you can buy "cup" oil filter canister removers, which fit over the top of the canister and you undo using a 1/2" socket wrench. The correct one for the 5.0 V8 is I think 86 mm diameter with 16 flats or lands, but they are a lot more expensive than the simple wrench I bought, and that wrench will work on a range of filters or canisters.

Edit - a quick check on eBay Motors brings up this one, which looks like it will do the trick: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-...031ba4&vxp=mtr

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-14-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Found one
Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Try loosening it when the car is hot, and put a few drops of oil on the threads when you re assemble it, and by all means do things yourself so you can speak from experience. Getting advice from those that refuse to do their own maintenance, is like getting marriage advice from a single person, DON'T DO IT!...LOL And fill it properly by using the manual capacity, and the oil level dash mode.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 07-15-2015 at 12:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DPK (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

I'm with you Will.
From an earlier post, quote: "Why do people still think it's ok to change their own oil?"
Because it's easy and a fraction of the price a dealer will charge, that's why.
Check the Owner's Manual for the oil capacity and measure how much comes out when you dump the old oil, then calculate the amount of new oil to put back in, it's not rocket science!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

So you take a trip to the store to buy the oil, assuming your store stocks the high specification oil you require. You try to find an OEM oil filter that Jaguar will accept. You buy a fresh crush washer (Jaguar replaces the drain plug when they remove it). You return home and find those old ramps you kept from the days when you had no cash. You spend how long wrestling with the drain plug and the oil filter cap? You then find the oily pan you keep somewhere in your garage and fill it with dirty oil and the filter cartridge. Then what?

I gave up most routine maintenance when it stopped being cost effective. All other maintenance now requires expert techniques, tools or parts.

You might possibly save $50 doing your own oil change, once per year, maybe. For me that would cost me around $400 in lost time.

YMMV but I very much doubt that. If you enjoy doing this work fine but don't kid yourself that you are saving any money.

In the maintenance schedule I note that the oil level is recalibrated after every oil change. Does anyone here know what that may mean or how to perform it?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Well, not that I need to explain myself but I've been doing my own work for 40 years, gaining experience as I go and enjoying it. 359.00 USD or even Canadian is a bit much for an oil change. I can do the job properly for well under $100 and, as evidenced by the responses, it's a pretty straightforward job. To be honest there were other "checks" to be performed but the whole service is a simple task to most of us DIYers on the forum. And, as per Jaguar, the warranty is not voided as long as documentation is maintained.

It seems our fellow poster may have gotten us off the point of my post. I did initially try to remove the top when the engine was hot but no go. I will try again with the strap wrench but otherwise would still like to know what wrenches, like the SC suggested, are available for this work. Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

This is what is meant by recalibration after every oil change:

RESETTING OIL CHANGE SERVICE MODE

Start engine (press start stop button)

Switch ignition OFF (press start stop button)

1. Within 3 seconds: Press and hold the Rear fog lamp switch
(before the ignition is pressed "ON" AGAIN)

2.Press the Start button without applying the foot brake (do not

start the engine)

3. Release the Rear fog lamp switch (within 1 sec)

4.Press and hold the Trip computer button (within 1 sec)

5.Press and hold the Rear fog lamp switch (within1 sec)

6.Continue to hold the Rear fog lamp switch Trip computer button

for 10 seconds

7.The message center should display "resetting service mode"

and then it will say; "service mode reset"

8.Release the Rear fog lamp switch Trip computer button

and press the start stop button to off.

Last edited by DPK; 07-15-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Default Oil Filter Wrench - RESOLVED

I attacked the filter cannister top again today as soon as the car came home. With a filter wrench similar to the one suggested I was able to get it open. I checked the filter and went shopping on line. If anyone's interested the jag part number 8w93-6a692-ac cross references to the generic pa6-gf30 oil filter and is sold by Mann, Mobil, Fram and maybe others. I ordered 2 from AliExpress.com for $15.01 USD each. compared to 35 to 45 bucks So let's see:

$15.01 Filter
$36 8 qts Mobil1
$5 misc.
maybe .5 hr time
$56.81 vs 359? just plain crazy!

Thanks for the help

Dconway (11-20-2018)
Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Rick, you have nicely explained why I do my own oil changes, the savings are significant and you also have the satisfaction of knowing it has been done right.
In South Australia where I live there is only one Jag dealer and because they have a monopoly (the next closest dealer is 500 miles away) they charge like a wounded bull, so I'm guessing my savings are even more than yours!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by raschwar
I attacked the filter cannister top again today as soon as the car came home. With a filter wrench similar to the one suggested I was able to get it open. I checked the filter and went shopping on line. If anyone's interested the jag part number 8w93-6a692-ac cross references to the generic pa6-gf30 oil filter and is sold by Mann, Mobil, Fram and maybe others. I ordered 2 from AliExpress.com for $15.01 USD each. compared to 35 to 45 bucks So let's see:

$15.01 Filter
$36 8 qts Mobil1
$5 misc.
maybe .5 hr time

Thanks for the help
Just an FYI Jag recommends a very specific oil type and I do not think Mobil 1 makes an oil that matches their specs.

Check the specs on the bottle to make sure. They will void your warranty if you did not use the correct oil and something happens.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Contrary to Canadian belief....
Don't paint us all with the same brush.

Our friend from Calgary has many unusual beliefs. This is one of the more benign ones.............

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
DPK (07-16-2015), JgaXkr (02-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad to see someone doing this. ..i haven't tackled service myself on the Jag. Have always done my own changes until now. My Chevy truck already looks out of place in a neighborhood of bmws mercs and other snazzy cars but i pop the hood and drain the oil to save 40 bucks. Wait til they see the Jag on jackstands

Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by raschwar

$15.01 Filter
$36 8 qts Mobil1
$5 misc.
maybe .5 hr time

Thanks for the help
Add to that the satisfaction of a job well done by your own hands.

DPK (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
This is what is meant by recalibration after every oil change:

RESETTING OIL CHANGE SERVICE MODE

Start engine (press start stop button)

Switch ignition OFF (press start stop button)

1. Within 3 seconds: Press and hold the Rear fog lamp switch
(before the ignition is pressed "ON" AGAIN)

2.Press the Start button without applying the foot brake (do not

start the engine)

3. Release the Rear fog lamp switch (within 1 sec)

4.Press and hold the Trip computer button (within 1 sec)

5.Press and hold the Rear fog lamp switch (within1 sec)

6.Continue to hold the Rear fog lamp switch Trip computer button

for 10 seconds

7.The message center should display "resetting service mode"

and then it will say; "service mode reset"

8.Release the Rear fog lamp switch Trip computer button

and press the start stop button to off.
Yep, it might take a couple tries since timing is important. but it's NOT the gloom and doom preached by others commenting on your thread..lol

Quick Reply: Need oil filter wrench